[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /lit/ looking for some some recs on great women writers.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: Theyearofmagicalthinking.jpg (312 KB, 1653x2560) Image search: [Google]
Theyearofmagicalthinking.jpg
312 KB, 1653x2560
Sup /lit/ looking for some some recs on great women writers. someone that writes like Pynchon but any style is fine as long as its good
>>
There are no females who write like Pynchon. It takes a man's intelligence to do so.
>>
File: 1463034969432.jpg (32 KB, 466x382) Image search: [Google]
1463034969432.jpg
32 KB, 466x382
>>8036959
>>
>>8036959
Pynchon 79 year old self would slap the shit out of you for saying some shit like that next to him
>>
>>8036867
bump
>>
theres literally noone who writes remotely like pynchon, how are you expecting to narrow your search down to women and get any results
>>
>>8036867
Zadie Smith is somewhat reminiscent of Pynchon, though she's like 1/10th as good. If you really want to, though, read White Teeth.
>>
>>8037549
i did add any style is fine just wondering if there were any women that wrote in that style
>>
>>8036867
renata adler - speedboat
>>
>>8036867
Most popular female writer here is probably Woolf. To widely varying degrees, I like:

Jean Rhys
Carson McCullers
Amy Hempel
Renata Adler
Alice Munro
Willa Cather
Marilynne Robinson
Joan Didion
Grace Paley
Toni Morrison (yeah yeah, fuck off)
Christina Stead (just The Man who Loved Children)

And I hear Jane Smiley is good. I dunno.
>>
>>8037586
Also, Margaret Atwood, though your mileage may vary. I enjoy her prose, especially in Blind Assassin and Cat's Eye, but she gets more derided than I expected on this board. If you like sci-fi though, it'd be worth checking her and Ursula LeGuin out, assuming you somehow haven't already.
>>
>>8036867
Diana Evans' 26a has that childlike simplexity of a lot of postmodern writers, though she tries to sound like, and excessively alludes to Joyce more than anybody
>>
>>8037586
thanks I knew /lit/ wouldn't dissapoint
>>
>>8036867
Jeanette Winterson is also somebody to look into, Art & Lies is one of her best. Handel, Sappho, and Picasso meet on a train. She has a way of confounding the reader with elegance of prose, often focused on the concept of time while conquering it.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.