[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Finnish guy here, I can read and write English fairly well, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: im16.png (1 MB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
im16.png
1 MB, 800x600
Finnish guy here, I can read and write English fairly well, but complex literature is still a bit too much for me. What English language books do you recc that are challenging without being completely overwhelming?
>inb4 Finnegan"'"s Wake
>>
>>8036407
Have you read the standard recommendations like 1984 and Catch-22 yet?
>>
Have you read the kavela epic
>>
>>8036407
Gravity's Rainbow. After that, The Recognitions.
>>
Just read a lot of medium level lit and then chunky 19th century lit in gradations.

Pick an author you really like, one who isn't too challenging, and read their entire corpus. Maybe Aldous Huxley or something on that level, a good stylist but not known for being ridiculously difficult. Then move to denser 19th century authors, with slightly more archaic and challenging writing.

If you think of a language as a circle representing its "basic" vocabulary (what many Euros know of English, e.g.), and that circle is encompassed by larger circles of more and more rarefied / archaic vocabulary, rare or unusual grammatical constructions, etc., then what you want to do is gradually and holistically push your way out in ALL directions, through the concentric circles. Simply put, there are things in the farther circles that even native English speakers scratch their head at, but a well-read person will know intuitively. Most native speakers don't even know serviceable professional English. Many people wouldn't "get" something like
>Would that it were so.

Also, it always helps to get a grammar book and casually peruse it. You will remember more than you think, and it will help you later on, e.g. when you see a strange formation but at least you know it's using the infinitive, so you can look that up.

This is how I learned French. Newspaper prose --> easy 20th century literature --> middling 20th century lit --> "easy" 19th century lit --> beefy 19th century lit --> hopefully 18th century soon. Always while consulting grammars sporadically. It really is just a holistic process of acclimation.
>>
Green Eggs and Ham by Theodor S. Geisel
>>
Blood Meridian, not really difficult at all, but a good kind of introduction
>>
>>8036452
Underrated post
>>
Tapa ittes
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.