[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is gerard manley hopkins supposed to be extremely difficult to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: Gerard_Manley_Hopkins.jpg (104 KB, 703x1125) Image search: [Google]
Gerard_Manley_Hopkins.jpg
104 KB, 703x1125
Is gerard manley hopkins supposed to be extremely difficult to read through or am i just lacking in my early 1800s English comprehension.

I can hardly understand most of his descriptions, and have to constantly resort to googling, whether it's architecture or mentions of a 100 gems and flowers.

I'd like to enjoy him but I find it difficult with my lack of knowledge.
>>
i remember reading some of his poetry (tfw jesuit education) in high school and not really struggling with it but he is meant to be kind of experimental for his era
>>
I found Hopkins really difficult, too, but not for the word choice (although of course there are words I have to look up). I just find the style tough to decipher. I recognize he was innovative and all that, but it sounds so strange and almost quaint to my ears.
>>
>>8035782
Hey OP it's >>8036383 again lol I just looked up Pied Beauty and it is pretty crazy, like his language just moves too fast to get a proper focus on. Really musical though.
>>
>>8036383

I'm just starting to read poetry, i'm familiar with older english books and the dialect, but he has such a command of language which i guess i don't have and i just struggle to wrap my head around it.

I have a book of keats poetry and wordsworth, do you think i'd fair better with them?

>>8036389

Ya i know he was unorthodox for his time , i wish style was the only thing i had to worry about though.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.