[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wall of text: Plato describes the man set out on one common
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: Monet-_Der_Rosenweg_in_Giverny.jpg (4 MB, 2826x2478) Image search: [Google]
Monet-_Der_Rosenweg_in_Giverny.jpg
4 MB, 2826x2478
Wall of text:
Plato describes the man set out on one common goal as coming closest to fulfilling his purpose in the perfect state. In his perfect state, which is just an allegory for the soul, a farmer wouldn't also be a blacksmith for instance. If you've never read Plato its pretty much like this. The soul is divided into three parts; spirit, appetite, and reason; each which must be directed to its proper place in the constitution of the individual in the way in which he conducts his actions. He uses logic to presume that since these parts are found in the soul they should also be found in the state, since the state has its origin in the individual and should thus be a reflection of him. So the state (composed of a part for its reason,the rulers, a part for its spirit, the guardians, and a part for its appetite, the commonwealth) functions best when every part is directed to where it naturally belongs.
This idea of purpose Plato discusses always stood out to me in his works. If you're meant to fulfill your purpose or be the best you could possibly be at something you have to directed everything towards it so you become one man instead of several. I've always found this idea fascinating and am wondering if there are other philosophers who touch on this idea. I have a choice between physics and English, which I want to peruse for a focus of study. I see them as opposite ends of a spectrum in what they resemble. Physics is mathematical and much more strictly logical than English. English, while logical in terms of language, is much more about creativity and what you bring to the picture. (I'm sure theres a specific word/distinction between these two things which I'm missing) To major in physics would make me more mathematical and logical and less creative in terms of English. Each requires to be a different type of thinker is what I'm trying to say, and since I have a choice in which to dedicate myself to I'm deciding what type of thinker I will make of myself. When I say this I don't mean only in terms of college education. To dedicate myself to something means dedicating every moment, every thought, and every motivation towards understanding it. If you want to be really great at something like writing every second you don't put into thinking about how you can create better is a waste. Einstein did this with physics. Many of his thought experiments concern ordinary things like trains and clocktowers and elevators because he was always thinking about physics in relation to everything, always putting every fiber of his being into understanding and always asking questions about everything he saw. This is what I want to do with a study. So what do you think is more fulfilling, physics or English? Also what other philosophers touch on this model of purpose?
>>
File: gorilla tongue.jpg (84 KB, 640x768) Image search: [Google]
gorilla tongue.jpg
84 KB, 640x768
Too long duuuuuuuude
>>
>>8035524
The painting reminds me of fruity pebbles.

I suggest you take the physics route.

"A farmer wouldn't also be a blacksmith"
This statement is not allegorical.
It means quite literally what it said.

Go study physics bud.
>>
>>8035524
Purity of heart is to will one thing, bubba.

THE GOOD!
>>
>>8035556
>physics is right
lol
>>
>>8035524
Physics
>>
>>8035524
Why don't you just study Philosophy? That allows you the flexibility to investigate the foundations of physics, or alternately literary themes, as desired.
>>
That painting is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen
>>
>>8035524

yawn, you read a bit of the republic, didnt get external sources, or read other interpretations, and are taking the first work of political philosophy, and platos magnum opus, at face value.

do you really think its best for one person to do only one thing for their entire life? do you really think, given the order of the soul, that only one part of this ordered soul is dominant throughout? that some one person is all reason, etc? that pure reason is really truly the best way to guide your actions? that reason can guide all actions?

do you really honestly think a person should only ever be a farmer, and never not even once pick up a book? that only some people are allowed to art???

do both. physics and read in your free time. you cant teach yourself physics. anyone can read the canon.

but more importantly what exactly are you creating???
>>
>>8035721
It lost all credibility after the 23rd color
>>
>>8035556
Whats your case?
>>8035674
Why?
>>8035699
I plan on minoring in philosophy either way
>>8035721
Its a Monet
>>8035751
You're missing the point. Its not about doing "only one thing" your entire life, its about attaching yourself to one thing so as to fulfill some form of purpose. The platonic state does not function without each part existing, each fulfilling its own specific purpose. Each part of the state fulfills the purpose of creating the state in the same way that the individual does fulfill his purpose in ordering his

>do you really honestly think a person should only ever be a farmer, and never not even once pick up a book? that only some people are allowed to art???
This is a misinterpretation of my argument. I didn't say as a physicist i would be incapable of making art, or as an English scholar incapable of appreciating mathematics. However if i want to reach the full potential of my art, be that english or physics, i should be a man of one and not two. How can you argue against the fact that the two are so radically different?

>but more importantly what exactly are you creating???
it depends really. As a writer I enjoy poetry and fiction.
>>
>>8035842
>I plan on minoring in philosophy either way

Ah. Then you should major in Physics. That combination is good preparation for pursuing Philosophy at the graduate level, by the way.
>>
>>8035853
i do think it is a good combo but so is english/philosophy.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.