[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has the self died? How would we even know if the concept of the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: The-SOul1.jpg (124 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
The-SOul1.jpg
124 KB, 500x750
Has the self died? How would we even know if the concept of the self has died in a society? Are we going to look back on our life and wonder why we spent so much time on screens? Is it troubling that we connect to other people way easier and more frequently alone and online than in real life? How important is the physical human nowadays?
>>
Your questions are all over the place and have tons of implications. They also aren't literature.
>>
The online self is as valid as the physical self: this is what my animes taught me.
>>
>>8035503
Self comes from will, you ultimately decide whether, when, and what to watch "on the screen", which is a pure reflection of your will.

If you read up on many philosophers, or look at successful businessmen of the past, you occasionally find people cut off to the point that they essentially spend all of their time with books and letters... Screens aren't different.

Don't worry anon, it'll turn around once the safe space cry baby SJW stuff goes away, and people trade their selfish "muh pain, muh life" whininess for interest in other people again.
>>
>>8035503
The fact that we can't connect with people, except when they're filtered through the online media of our choosing, or fulfilling some role, should really tell you that the self is alive and well.
>>
>>8035503
>Has the self died? How would we even know if the concept of the self has died in a society?
As long as the word "I" (including its translations) exists, the concept of the self exists.
>Are we going to look back on our life and wonder why we spent so much time on screens?
Depends on who you are.
>Is it troubling that we connect to other people way easier and more frequently alone and online than in real life?
Not really troubling; just indicative of most people's difficulty to form legitimate emotional connections with people.
>How important is the physical human nowadays?
As important as we always have been, which, I suppose, depends on who you ask. I like to think that a true AI would be as miserable as a real person.
>>
Speed of communication has gone incredibly wild over the last years. There will always be a self, but masses will boil it down to mundane and shallow craps. Because speed of communication =/= quality of communication.

I miss that time where society wasn't even a thing and speech was held dearly by the few priests that knew, against the few astonished humain beings looking upon those men as if through their mouth spoke the gods themselves.
>>
Facebook, twitter, instagram - yeah the selfs def dead dude cool cultural criticism
>>
>>8035548
>pure reflection of your will
go to bed arthur
>>
>>8036110
>I miss that time where society wasn't even a thing and speech was held dearly by the few priests that knew, against the few astonished human beings looking upon those men as if through their mouth spoke the gods themselves.
This so much. I'm considering going full hermit because i feel so disconnected from the society and its people.
>>
>>8036141
Same here. I'd like to create a community high up in the mountain of interesting people, some talktative, some really quiet, but because we'd know when using our tongues would benefit most.
>>
>>8035570
>the fact that we can't connect with people
what the fuck are you basing this on? I "connect" with people all the time.
>>
>>8035503
>Has the self died?
What does this question mean?
>Are we going to look back on our life and wonder why we spent so much time on screens?
An entirely personal matter.
>Is it troubling that we connect to other people way easier and more frequently alone and online than in real life?
What makes you think this is true?
>How important is the physical human nowadays?
what the actual fuck. what else would we be?

This is entirely pseudointellectual drivel. Come back when you've actually thought about what the fuck you're trying to say.
>>
>>8036185
i couldn't agree more.
>>
>>8036204
This.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.