[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've just finished with chapter 5 of Godel, Escher, Bach
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
I've just finished with chapter 5 of Godel, Escher, Bach and I'm really diggin it so far but I feel like I'm not getting everything I should out of it.

I'm grasping the concepts finely enough but some of the examples elude me a bit and I feel as if I'm skipping ahead a bit because I'm too excited to see where he goes next. I also feel like maybe these chapters are supposed to be a bit barebones to frame later topics? Should I just make sure I gasp the central idea of every chapter and move on for now? Also are there any accompanying works, chapter summaries, blog posts, whatever the hell that would be good to go along with it. Thanks /lit/.
>>
bump
>>
>>8035407

just kill yourself senpai
>>
>>8035642
>objective third party here
Kill YOUR self you stupid try hard edge lord.
>>
>>8035407
dw about it

he repeats himself over and over in slightly different ways in order to reinforce his point

about half way through the book he straight up tells you that he's pretty much said everything he wanted to say and the rest of the book is reinforcing material and he suggests if you're clever you can just stop there
>>
>>8035653

nah. kill urself harder.
>>
>>8035695
no u
>>
>>8035407
Can I read this if I'm a philosophy noob and don't know shit about math?
>>
>>8035710
I'm not a math guy but more of a logic/comp sci cat and I haven't had a problem so far, the section on recursion will probably be difficult without any prior experience but overall he does a good job of explaining, mostly by using visual and musical metaphors through Escher and Bach, shouldn't be too bad

>>8035671
Yeah I definitely got the repetition, kind of made me feel like I was missing something because I usually got it by the second or so example and felt like I should be getting some overarching idea from compounding them but I think overrall I'm just too hype and fretful, will keep that in mind
>>
I Am A Strange Loop is better
>>
>>8035695
>>8035700
Y'all need to step up your bants game
This shit is embarrassing
>>
>>8035407
/sci/ here. please stop reading this meme book
>>
>>8035407
Is there much of Bach ? I only want to read this because of Bach.
>>
>>8035813
Why?
>>
>>8035822
What do you recommend that covers the same concepts?
>>8035828
So far a lot, generally every concept covered has parallels drawn between works by the three titular homies, lot of Bach, and I'm not knowledgable on music theory or a classical guy and I still liked the Bach sections, goes into the mathematical and logical aspect of how a Fugue affects your brain, how themes are modulated, bunch of shit
>>
>>8035874
basic logic textbooks would be a start
>>
>>8035822
It's actually a good book for kids. Why do you dismiss it?
>>
>>8035900
You said it so yourself
>>
>>8035822
>>8035407

Actual scientist here. Don't bother listening to /sci/. This is a meme book worth reading.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.