[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
do we have any classics major or classical aesthetics student
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: Aristotle_Altemps_Inv8575.jpg (2 MB, 1700x2275) Image search: [Google]
Aristotle_Altemps_Inv8575.jpg
2 MB, 1700x2275
do we have any classics major or classical aesthetics student here?

i want to ask a few questions.
>>
Classics graduate here, ask away.
>>
>>8035034
ok, here they are:

(1) how does brill's companions compare to cambridge/oxford ones?

(2) this one is a bit specific: is halliwell 'aesthetics of mimesis' the best work out there on mimesis (and explaining its telos)?

(3) any good resources to find the essential bibliography (or criticism) to works/authors other than companions?

(4) 'dianoia' [thought] in poetics can be referred as 'logic' [in the sense of informal logic] too?
>>
>>8035061

>(1) how does brill's companions compare to cambridge/oxford ones?

I have no idea. I've never used Brill's or Oxford. The Cambridge ones that I've encountered have been very good. But I'm just a dilletante with a public sinecure and the time to keep reading the stuff, I'm no Scholar. I buy OCTs and find old public domain commentaries online.

>(2) this one is a bit specific: is halliwell 'aesthetics of mimesis' the best work out there on mimesis (and explaining its telos)?

I have no idea.

>(3) any good resources to find the essential bibliography (or criticism) to works/authors other than companions?

Companions would seem the best place to start.

>(4) 'dianoia' [thought] in poetics can be referred as 'logic' [in the sense of informal logic] too?

What does that even mean?
>>
>>8035093
thanks.

in (4) i should clarify: 'dianoia' as used in aristotle's poetics.
>>
>>8035105

Yeah but that seems like a vast question. What is the relation between logic and thought? What is the relation between Reason and art? It's out of my depth. I skimmed Poetics for a class once. You can spend your entire life reading the canonized Classics and still be lucky to barely get through it all one time (of course some people are exceptional, but I am not one of them).

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Ask me about Plautus or something.
>>
File: sc1.png (149 KB, 818x597) Image search: [Google]
sc1.png
149 KB, 818x597
>>8035146
here's an excerpt if it helps you elucidate.

my point is that in the poiesis [making of], dianoia (as paraphrased from rhetorics: "reasoning and speech between characters in ancient dramas") should follow an orderly and clear structure by itself to reach the unity and onenes that aristotle proposes to tragedy. thus that structure isembedded by logic in a more loose signification. sorry if it's hard to understand, english is not my first language

also, recommend me some plautus plays. all i know about him is that he used punic in one of his plays, lol.
>>
File: jung7.jpg (81 KB, 628x738) Image search: [Google]
jung7.jpg
81 KB, 628x738
>>8035000
I am a rhetorical studies minor. I start my courses next semester. Inb4 muh sophist hatred.
>>
You might try looking into Frye's exegesis of the Poetics in Anatomy of Criticism for what use he makes of dianoia, if only for a point of departure

Poetics is the single worst piece of shit fragmentary treatise we have of Aristotle's so
>>
Aristotle’s Poetics has had a significant influence on the history of literature; for example, in the 17th century, playwrights often conformed to Aristotle’s recommendations as if they were rigid rules of composition. Even today, critics often look for the “classical unities” and for the emotional impact of the experience of fiction. Halliwell 1998 provides an excellent introduction to the study of the Poetics; Belfiore 1992 focuses on Aristotle’s treatment of the psychological aspects of the experience of fiction. Rorty 1992 has brought together a group of essays that deal, in some measure, with all the major topics in the Poetics. Husain 2002 argues for closer relationship between the Poetics and Aristotle’s technical philosophy than is usually discovered.

Belfiore, Elizabeth. 1992. Tragic pleasures: Aristotle on plot and emotion. Princeton, NJ: Princeton Univ. Press.
A controversial interpretation of Aristotle’s theory of emotional response to tragic drama.

Halliwell, S. 1998. Aristotle’s Poetics. Chicago: Univ. of Chicago Press.
A detailed, and very helpful, discussion of this work.

Husain, Martha. 2002. Ontology and the art of tragedy. Albany: State Univ. of New York Press.
Argues for intellectual relationships between Aristotle’s Metaphysics and Poetics.

Rorty, A., ed. 1992. Essays on Aristotle’s Poetics. Princeton, NJ: Princeton Univ. Press.
A collection of essays by leading scholars, addressing the whole range of issues that arise in Aristotle’s Poetics.
>>
>>8036840
>>8036858
thanks, much appreciated
>>
>>8035093
>OCT
What are OCTs?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.