[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what made you turn to books? Most of the book readers ive met
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 171
Thread images: 20
File: a0MN7vs[1].png (100 KB, 231x226) Image search: [Google]
a0MN7vs[1].png
100 KB, 231x226
what made you turn to books?

Most of the book readers ive met fall into these categories:

>ugly book readers
>gay book readers
>no degree compensating readers
>think that they going to get laid because they read readers
>indian self help book readers
>>
no degree compensating reader

I have a business but I am dumb
>>
I'm decent looking, 20 y/o, and majoring in Materials Engineering. I like to read because I enjoy expanding my knowledge and because I have a disposition toward reading/writing for enjoyment.

That being said, I do wish I was slightly better looking.
>>
>>8030240
>That being said, I do wish I was slightly better looking
lol everyone does
>>
>>8030230
Lost a child, used them for escape, eventually they became something more.

You should add grieving people, OP. My mother didn't get back into reading until both her parents and her husband died within the same year.
>>
I'm 19 years old.

I am handsome, smart, athletic and virile.

I have a novel that is in it's final editing stage, and a creative writing professor at my college has read the first draft and thinks it's saleable.

I have a girlfriend who is confident, articulate, playful and spontaneous.

I have a small group of interesting friends from different social and academic backgrounds, and I also have many other acquaintances who see me as a reliable source of humour and good company.

Both my parents are alive and in good health.

I have no regrets.

I have already experienced three existential crises, the latter of which was described as having the depth and profundity of a man twice my age.

I am a passionate lover, a sharp thinker, and a trader of witty repartee.

I am not self-pitying, meek or needlessly humble.

I will live a good life at your expense.
>>
>>8030230
I'm ugly gay no degree compensating to get laid by indian self help books
>>
>>8030240
everyone thinks that they are goodlooking

ask an average looking person on the street to rate themselves and they'll always go for the standard ~7

being delusional is a gift tho so keep it up
>>
You went too far with the bait, son.

Try to work harder on your poker face and you'll actually have more fun!
>>
File: 1458163439234.jpg (271 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
1458163439234.jpg
271 KB, 960x1280
>>8030230
>tfw I'm the first 4
>>
>>8030230
For me it's a combination of growing up in the country with limited options for digital entertainment and having patrician parents who encouraged us to read good books from a young age.

I'm good-looking, athletic, straight, well-educated, not delusional about what gets me laid and white, so I'm pretty sure it's just my parents and a modestly isolated childhood.
>>
>>8030251
>8 (you)s in 5 minutes
>went to far with the bait
>>
File: eh.jpg (182 KB, 1152x1153) Image search: [Google]
eh.jpg
182 KB, 1152x1153
>>8030230
I just like lording my knowledge and extensive vocabulary over others.
It is not so much feeling mighty as a desire to impress.
I just want to be liked.
>tfw you don't have that neon glow
>>
>>8030230
>tfw all five
>>
>>8030258
soooo gay then
>>
Social isolation mainly, I needed something enjoyable to fill my time with.
>>
I don't have many friends. Plus, my parents were readers and encouraged it.
>>
>>8030255
Holy shit damn angel that should be illegal.
>>
File: aA1p6jZ_700b.jpg (57 KB, 700x553) Image search: [Google]
aA1p6jZ_700b.jpg
57 KB, 700x553
>>8030264
Just /fit/ gay. No homo.
>>
>>8030264

yeah, it's impossible to find such a bf, they all are gay :^)
>>
this board, actually.
>>
>>8030250
>everyone thinks that they are goodlooking

No. I hate the way I look. I'd rate myself a good 3-4 although I still might be deluded and actually I'm a 1-2.
>>
>>8030250
>everyone thinks that they are goodlooking
/fit/ and /r9k/ would like a word

HEIGHT
FACE
FRAME
ALPHA GENETICS, ALPHA RESULTS
>>
>>8030230
>ugly
i mean i guess
>>
You're only good-looking if people want you for sexual intercourse.

Simple as that.
>>
>>8030324
no

everyone gets laid nowadays, that doesnt make you goodlooking
>>
File: angriest pepe.gif (2 MB, 480x481) Image search: [Google]
angriest pepe.gif
2 MB, 480x481
>>8030329
>everyone gets laid nowadays,
RRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>8030329
>everyone gets laid nowadays
nice
>>
>>8030240
>materials engineering

Wew lad. Enjoy unemployment
>>
>>8030334
>>8030342
everyone that leaves their room or pretends that he cares what women have to say to get laid
>>
>>8030324
that's not true, one doesn't need much looks-wise to be considered fitting for a sexual intercourse, even stephen hawking was married twice after all
>>
>>8030349
nice
>>
>>8030250
>tfw there is no standard 1-10 in any society
>tfw girls your looks and ratings can change entirely through exercising emotional truthfulness and self-expression
>>
>>8030354
Well you know what, I take that back

I live in LA and I guess the relativity is shitter here than elsewhere, maybe what you say is in fact true outside this hole
>>
File: Pepe_11.jpg (102 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
Pepe_11.jpg
102 KB, 640x640
>>8030349
>tfw people think I'm "asexual"

I'm just fucking autistic, STOP TELLING THIS SHIT TO EVERYONE; MY CHANCES ARE ALREADY TOO SLIM AS IT IS

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>8030349
>or pretends that he cares what women have to say
where have you been all my life
>>
I'm sexy as fuck.
I lift.
ultra confident.
have a cute gf.

just read for fun bro.
>>
>>8030347
I'm already employed by the company I will likely work for after I graduate. That being said - why are you under the false assumption that work isn't good for chemical and materials engineers? For the most part, they are interchangeable degrees.
>>
>>8030385
i forgot where the delusional people come for a moment

>patrick bateman
>i lift
>bro
>im handsome
>confidence

why did the number of /fit/ crossposters skyrocket lately
>>
>>8030385
what do u do to be sexy
>>
File: Grimes.jpg (89 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
Grimes.jpg
89 KB, 1080x1080
>>8030391
They spent the last 9 months working on their summer bodies, and now that summer is here, they're coming to confront the reality that they really had no reason to work on a summer body at all.
>>
>>8030391
lol I don't go on fit
>>
Wanting to be smarter and more successful, in a personal sense.

Who can honestly after playing videogames for most of their childhood, teens, and into early adulthood look at themselves and their daily activities and think "this is okay, spending all my games playing flat chested simulators is stimulating"

It becomes entertainment for the sake of filling the gap.
>>
>>8030398
look mysterious, be rude to women, have sick tri's and bi's, wear persol shades, stare girls in the eye until they look away then keep staring.

lots of stuff.
>>
>>8030353
Let's see, the first time he wasn't cripple yet, and he apparently looked like Eddie Redmayne.

The second time, he was rich and famous.
>>
File: 1462165440702.jpg (87 KB, 633x738) Image search: [Google]
1462165440702.jpg
87 KB, 633x738
>>8030230
I started reading when I was 20, I guess, trying to compensate for dropping out of high school at 17 and never attending college. Now I'm in college and continue to read for pleasure.
>>
>>8030433
why are you in college
>>
File: 1456906114046.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1456906114046.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>8030248
Damn. I almost fell for this pasta.
>>
>>8030414
>be rude to women
how does that work?
>>
>>8030448
everything works when you have a good face

women dont give a fuck what you say when you say it with a good face
>>
>>8030448
make fun of them. in a playful way.
>>
>>8030457
walk up to a woman and be like "holy shit did you let krusty do your makeup today? you look like a fucking clown"

I guarantee she will laugh
>>
>>8030230
>depression coping readers
Most of the people I know and love are dead or dying, I'm headed off to college soon, and books help me think and deal with life.
>>
>>8030466
forgot that one, i just put it under ugly readers in my mind
>>
>>8030438
Boredom, mainly. I had a well paying job in the middle of nowhere but seclusion took its toll and I got bored and crazy. So here I am.
>>
>>8030470
how about those readers that don't actually read and pretend to so they seem smart? I don't think this goes under compensating.
>pseudo-intellectual readers
>>
>>8030453
Yeah, women particularly love being rejected. That's why people who have nice faces fuck everyone who wants them. Sounds logical.
>>
>>8030230
How about people who's parents read to them and has since then read novels constantly now and then through life?

Im hot as fuck by the way
>>
>>8030230
I never had very close friends, would periodically read in my life, especially in elementary and right now.
>>
>>8030240
I'm 19 years old.

I am handsome, smart, athletic and virile.

I have a novel that is in it's final editing stage, and a creative writing professor at my college has read the first draft and thinks it's saleable.

I have a girlfriend who is confident, articulate, playful and spontaneous.

I have a small group of interesting friends from different social and academic backgrounds, and I also have many other acquaintances who see me as a reliable source of humour and good company.

Both my parents are alive and in good health.

I have no regrets.

I have already experienced three existential crises, the latter of which was described as having the depth and profundity of a man twice my age.

I am a passionate lover, a sharp thinker, and a trader of witty repartee.

I am not self-pitying, meek or needlessly humble.

I will live a good life at your expense.
>>
Parents read to me before I created cognitive memories. Read all the Chronicles of Narnia books at age 3 by myself. Been in love with reading ever since. Moderately handsome, studying accounting, athletic, enjoy the outdoors, have two jobs, not socially autistic, and know how to party and have fun.
>>
>>8030250
Its not about self delusion. its about saving face in public. You dont admit to being ugly even if you know you are.
>>
>>8030230
i get no pleasure anymore from music or comedy so i just read stupid socio-political books like animal farm and brave new world (also love hamlet) to make me feel like there's a point in trying to figure out life.
>>
>think that they going to get laid because they read readers

>Was abit of a jock
>met cute bookish brunette upperclassmen
>She was really into reading even volunteered at the library.
>Try talking her up find we don't have alot in common but I ain't giving up
>Start reading what shes reading so we'll have something to talk about
>Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Twilight, other bullshit
>Graduation comes along and were in the middle of the Eragon series
>She breaks it off saying the distance/age was to much
>Almost to spite her/ drown my sorrows finish the series alone
>Kept reading stuff since it became a hobby
Avid reader now
>>
My parents always read to me and bought me books so it was always natural. I was reading YA shit from 4-11 and then real books after that.
>>
>>8030573
I say things like, to the library, and step on it.
>>
File: joy.jpg (29 KB, 365x500) Image search: [Google]
joy.jpg
29 KB, 365x500
>>8030230
>ugly book readers
Nope, while not a knockout I am confident in my looks and have had plenty of romantic and sexual success (and many many failures)

>gay
I'm bi, so thats nice

>no degree
gots myself a fancy neuroscience paper

>going to get laid
This has only happened once, but I didn't sleep with her, she saw my local bookstore points card and got all excited.

>indian self help
fuck off with that shit.
>>
>>8030230
Affluent educated normal people make up the majority of literary readers and writers. Your HS experience does not constitute the world
>>
>>8030230
>>indian self help book
wtf is that anyway
>>
>>8030230
Well it was a superiority complex nursed by people in grade school who believed I was more intelligent than I am. Stayed because aesthetics.
>>
Played video games from an early age. Spent years on /v/. Vidya is slowly but surely dying out. Always been interested in deeper forms of storytelling. Realized books fulfill that want and hopped on /lit/.
>>
>>8030230
What sort of inferiority complex do you have that your only frame of reference for motivation is a compensatory one?
>>
as a kid I liked learning new things more than having friends

I got hooked and never left, just upped the difficulty over time
>>
>>8030230
who is this guy? I see him posted here a lot

Anyway I'm pretty new to reading (as a hobby anyway, I read in school and all that), I mainly do it because I grew tired of TV/movies. Plus I really enjoy writing.
>>
>>8030230

you forgot a category-

>elitist cynical asshole

this is the category i fall into and i assume most folks on lit as well. i am not ugly or gay or degreeless or virgin or any of that (and frankly, i don't even understand what you mean with the final category about indians)
>>
this has been literally the funniest post i have read for a good year. the indian self help bit really resonated with me
>>
>>8032130
David Foster Wallace

Lurk more
>>
I'm pretty sure I read because I want to appear well-read to both myself and others. I genuinely enjoy reading though, but I do feel I force myself to start to read sometimes.

College educated, decent looking and not delusional enough to think reading will help me get laid, an occurance that have happened when it happened for me in the past. And I hate self help books.

I think the lack of a hobby with substance lead me into reading books(classics), I've read alot of YA fantasy when I was younger, and decided to step it up, not regretting that decision at all.
>>
I'm a 28 year old medical doctor. I just liked reading even since I was young, and I didn't like people even back then. I'm handsome, judging from other people's comments, but I'd rather not commit if I'm not sure of the other person. I have tons of books to read, anyway.
>>
>>8030230
I can speak a pile of languages but I'm an autist in conversations, I found philosophy more substantive than self-help books, and went from there.

Also Greece and romefag
>>
>>8030230
books and i fill my head with random facts and regurgitate other peoples opinions because i fear for my lack of brain power desu
>>

Yes, I jumped out of school.

>ugly book readers
When I look myself in the mirror I look decent. When I look at myself on a screen I'm probably ugly. My friend once called me a 6/10 and when I said I was Jordan Belfort when we were out drinking and he replied "Except for the looks, the money and the girls" I started crying and had a drunk tantrum.
>>
>>8032254
>I started crying and had a drunk tantrum.
Did you kill yourself?
>>
>>8032254
discussing your looks with your friend is gay
>>
>>8032274
Girls do it all the time.
>>
Reading lets me use my imagination instead of mindlessly consuming something like video games or movies.
>>
>>8032277
girls are different than guys for them it's ok (but girls often lie to each other and sometimes even intentionally give bad advice to make their friend look worse) and that anon i guess isn't a girl because only a rare girl would want to look like jordan belfort and have all the girls and money
>>
>>8030720
Best in thread
>>
>>8030590
>two jobs
Why do Americans think this is somehow a good thing
>>
>>8032281
pvp video games give the thrill but they also give me a feel of uncertainty about my skills making me reluctant and they are a great time waster for nothing and... we dont have that much time to 'look at things in bloom'
>>
File: 1462775239622.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1462775239622.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
gf is a spook.
It just seems like an easy solution for sex, that's why guys are inclined to go into it.
(Yes, I know some of you who have "no luck" with girls say they only want a human connection,... no need to reply)
Why doesn't everybody just strife for fuck buddies? Sex once a week and you're good. gf is stealing time for your other goals. If you have no other goals, even if it's just better hedonism, you might as well kill yourself.
>>
>>8030230
Escapism.
>>
>>8032074
Why can't you do both of these things
>>
>>8030230
OP do you mean Indians who read self help books or self help books with new agey stuff that white people like?
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 1136x640
>>8030263
same
>>
>>8030230
I read because I like books.
>>
>>8030230
>no degree compensating

fuck you retard, why don't you walk around an ameriburger BLM safe space uni and look at the literal wastes of oxygen and space who will earn a degree, or the excessive number of college grads stuck in retail/hospitality, means NOTHING in this day and age
>>
>>8030230
I got bored with video games and most anime is pandering to a crowd that I'm not a part of, so I turned to books.
>>
>>8032306
Some people prefer meaningful relationships to the crude "friends with benefits" arrangement, in which you're using each other as a means to an end, as resources. Only in the former can you both unite and transcend.
And if you're just trying to get off, you might as well take care of it yourself.
>>
I read primarily because I can only participate in solitary hobbies because im unable to make friends
Video games suck, reading is one of the best solitary hobbies, its one of the few things you can enjoy without needing other people
>>
>>8030248
do you also eat fucking PIZZA
>>
>>8032382
the latter
>>
>>8030470
Why would you think anyone sad has to be ugly? What about people who are reading to cope with sadness from lost loved ones? That wouldn't have anything to do with their attractiveness.
>>
>>8030230
OP confirmed for being a boring STEMtard who can't even have an interesting conversation about anything. Not even Halo IFF he played it.

Please learn the difference between education and Bildung.
>>
>>8032699
>>8033519
how is life without a degree treating you? Do you understand that you are getting laughed at behind your back? lol
>>
>>8030573
haven't seen this in awhile
>>
File: JudithButler2013.jpg (1 MB, 996x1500) Image search: [Google]
JudithButler2013.jpg
1 MB, 996x1500
>>8030230
judith butler is a gilf desu fampai
>>
>>8030230
I'm decent looking and have a degree, but am socially retarded and gave up trying to ever get laid after I continuously failed to do so even throughout college.

I use reading as an admittedly faulty substitute for meaningful emotional and sexual contact with others. I'm 23 and am better read than most people I know; some expect that would make it easy for me to get laid, when in reality I read as much as I do because I can't talk to girls and need a way to spend my time and distract myself from the social pursuits that seem to be the top priorities of guys my age.
>>
I picked up reading to fill in the gaps left open by a STEM degree.

I can't seem to find the time of day to get into nonfiction/philosophy, though. I've only read 2-3 nonfiction works. I think I might just be an incorrigible philistine.
>>
>>8030246
Sorry to read that. The death of my children is the greatest thing I fear in life.
Do you have other children, how are they coping with their siblings death? If not : How do feel about 'dying out'?
>>
>>8030246
Huh, funny I think I started to pick up reading again when my father died.
>>
File: i'm retarded.gif (2 MB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
i'm retarded.gif
2 MB, 240x180
>>8032971
>you're using each other as a means to an end, as resources
you're doing that no matter what fucktard
>Only in the former can you both unite and transcend.
gif
>>
i just finished up my chemical engineering degree but i read because i fear i secretly suck at science
>>
>ugly book readers

Yes, that's me.
>>
>>8036467
>implying you read
>>
>>8036497

>implying i don't read
>implying I don't go to my city's main library and have never seen an attractive girl aged 18 to 25 in their
>implying I don't despair over my university library being infested with normies socialising
>>
>>8030230
>Anyone who doesn't have an ultra-conventional hobby must be extremely subpar in some way or the other.

I know quite a few people who read books that /lit/ would consider 'patrician' who are perfectly normal, and, in fact, highly successful. Believe it or not but a lot of the current socialite kids you see going about being busybodies in college are going to read copious amounts of classics when they delve into their careers, likely more than what you've cumulatively read by then

As for me, I dunno, always been good at as an academic subject and appreciative of English. Maybe the fact I'm shit at sports (I look fit, though, no idea why I'm shit) has something to do with it
>>
>>8036413
We only just decided to have another one, six years later now. It took a long time to feel okay about it on both our parts. But seeing as we're feeling excitement instead of depression, I think we're fine to do it again.

I've already thought of the possibility of "dying out," with this one too. I probably wouldn't try again. Do you already have children?

>>8036415
That was a different revelation for me. I stopped having social anxiety almost immediately after I came out of the hospital room where my mother, sister and I saw him die (life support, pulled plug, etc.). It brought on the "nothing matters, we'll all die" mindset, and I stopped having trouble talking to people or being in public. Because, why worry about it? Just live each day. You're alive.
>>
>>8036513
> in their

2/10 got me to reply
>>
>self identified gamer for most oy child/tean years
>at like 16 or 17, videogames start to dissapoint and bore me
>read cats cradle on a whim
>think this is pretty good
>read slaughterhouse 5 and breakfast of Champions too
>start to expand my horizons to other authors
>try reading hunger games and game of thrones
>they both bore be immensely
>read more literary fiction like Lolita and portrait of the artist
>this is good
>never looked back
>>
>>8030349
>everyone that pretends that he cares what women have to say to get laid
You would think people on lit would have good grammar, but honestly it's the board where I see the most retarded grammar. More proof that this board is full of poseurs who don't read or write.
>>
File: 1425922507387.jpg (44 KB, 282x341) Image search: [Google]
1425922507387.jpg
44 KB, 282x341
>>8036617
what do you mean by "self identified gamer"?
Do you need a professional's diagnosis to be declared a gamer?
also
>dissapoint
>>
>>8036643
poets dont care about the grammar :^)
>>
>>8036652
As in I considered videogames to be my main hobby/passtime
>>
>>8030248

IT'S A MEME DADDY
>>
>>8036659
Honestly... There is a lot of foreigners posting here, and as the discussions requires more than two lines of text, you ought to make mistakes if you are not a native speaker.
>>
>>8036463
>tfw he's never had an I-Thou relationship
>>
File: 1463192220137.jpg (25 KB, 950x965) Image search: [Google]
1463192220137.jpg
25 KB, 950x965
>>8030329
>everyone gets laid nowadays
>>
>>8030230
Banality of everyday life and desire to know that there is somebody out there who felt and thought the same way as I have did at least once.
>>
>>8036560
Happy to read that, I wish you all the best.

No, I don't have children yet. I am 22 and have been heavily sick until last summer, barely didn't make it by ~ 8 weeks.
Even though my body had come to its limit in several ways (very severe depression included) I regenerated quite good and very fast, also thanks to rather expensive medicaments which my parents paid for.
The antibiotics were rather cheap, but cleaning up the aftermath was (actually is, still taking pills) costing a few thousand Euros.
It has been almost a year, next year I am going to travel the world, the new and the old world, for a few months, read more and return to university in autumn.
So when I have finished my degress, which should be in 4-5 years I would be ready, also mentally, for children I guess.
I would like to offer them more than my parents did (and they did a lot) and give them a better childhood and education ( which were quite good as well). However that would require working less than 25h a week the way I imagine it to be which would result in a lower salary and children are not cheap.

Either way, the death of a child was what struck me the most, for example in the movie Antichrist or other works of fiction. Being a somewhat nihilist I do not believe in life after death and that anything 'matters' at all. However the death of one's child is something I cannot cope with and there is nothing that is as powerful as that to me.

Not having children in order to overcome this fear is not an option I would like to take. Like many others I was pretty sure of not wanting children when I was younger but then I spend a larger time talking to and watching people who do not have children and I felt pity for them (mostly no failed beings, rather poeple of the bohemian society). Some regisseurs like Terrence Malick for example touch that subject as well.
>>
I'm a read because I like to read reader.
>>
>>8030248
When you got to the profound existential crisis part I knew I was being rused.
>>
Parents got me books instead of games as a child.

Honestly I'm glad about it because people were never being a dick about "growing out of" anything, instead they admired me reading while to me it was just like watching tv at that point.
>>
>>8030248
You're also a damn bad liar.
>>
>>8030230
It's fun.
>>
>>8030230

Real literature can't be ruined the way movies, TV shows, comics and video games have. Unless of course, it's commercial YA books.
>>
>>8030230
I'm attractive, otter mode, and wealthy. I just haven't found something that I enjoy more than reading.
>>
To escape the fact that I live, quite literally, in the dumbest country of the world.
>>
>>8030230
Dad showed me them.
>>
ugly and gay book reader; was the compensating no degree reader for a bit but grinded out a useless degree; and i do enjoy an indian self-help book now and then

>>8037500
be my bf pls
>>
>>8030230
I'm an
>is extremely insecure that my family and friends are going to abandon me so whenever I'm home alone for extended periods I read to avoid the creeping feeling that nobody cares about me even though my life is pretty good and I have plenty of loved ones and a decent social life reader

Anybody else do this?
>>
>>8037500
>I'm attractive, otter mode
>>
>>8030230
My momma raised me that way, English professor.
>>
>>8032254
>I started crying and had a drunk tantrum
I thought you were dead, Elliot
>>
File: 4_pulse.gif (11 KB, 134x159) Image search: [Google]
4_pulse.gif
11 KB, 134x159
>tfw your dad is Indian and he owns a lot of self help books
>>
Almost failed hs, uninstalled steam and started reading to pass time
>>
>>8032306
what the fuck is that image
>>
>>8032254
You sound like an idiot.
>>
>>8036560
Weird coincidence, I've been through almost the same thing including stopping life support and it changed me quite the same. All these social anxieties just disappear once you've been faced with some true suffering and cause of real anxiety.
>>
>>8040969
No offense, but how did you almost fail high school? I got B's without trying, but was mostly an A student.
>>
>>8041104

>uninstalled steam

i know you're such a star student and breezed through life but if you had some reading comprehension he most likely didn't care and was more interested in playing video games then paying attention in class or doing homework.
>>
>>8041126
rekt>>8041104
>>
>>8030230

>ugly
Not really, but a little bit
>no degree compensating
Degree-less, you're right

I just do it because it's fun, engages my imagination, and keeps whatever shred of empathy I have left alive more than other forms of narrative art.
>>
>>8030230
First it was harry potter escapism/fun-to-imagine reading, then gay reading, now I read to learn paranormal and distract me from stuff.
>>
I read because I am a consumer

>>8030240
What is material engineering? I'm comp sci right now but going to probably switch to electrical engineering, environmental engineering, or both
>>
>>8030230
no degree compensating reader

i am 28 year old neet. i read so that i am not totally dumbed down by all the tv and alcohol i consume.
>>
File: image.jpg (638 KB, 1492x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
638 KB, 1492x1200
>>8041104
Yeah you went to class for 7 hours a day and did all your homework that was assigned. Didn't try at all lol amirite?

But you could have gotten perfect grades if you Tried because you are just that smart, right? You definitely didn't try at all to get those As and Bs, lol, of course not.
>>
>>8041273
>c++
>not c

trash that pic

>no lesswrong

trash it
>>
I'm Dionysus' slightly uglier twin. I'm majoring in Chemistry and Mathematics, but my passion has always been for the humanities. So I read classics and philosophy in my spare time. Philosophy is made easier to understand by my experience in mathematics (set theory mainly) so I enjoy it in particular.
>>
>>8041273
>Amazing Atheist
>CrippleChan
>/pol/
>The Young Turks
>I fucking love science
>Reddit
>Milo
Literally noone likes all of those things together. That pic is basically "Stop liking what I don't."
>>
>>8041273
>DSOTM
kill self
>>
>>8041273
Why is Extra Credits in there?
Last I checked they were pretty chill.
>>
>>8030230
I only read essays on history, philosophy, religion, general essays.
>>
>>8036659
Which poet doesn't care about grammar?
>>
>>8041273
>C++
>Linux
>Russell Brand
>Julian Assange
>Rational Wiki
>Milo Asslupanapolypolis
Top kek!
Those who goes to C++ without learning C are pleb beta Mac Gamers.
>>
>>8041273
Talent is a very real thing.
I've read exactly 1 chapter in my Communication and Scientific Theory class in uni and I'm still doing just fine. Meanwhile, some of my classmates spend 4+ hours per session on preparations and homework, and they're only doing marginally better than me.
It's not fair, but that's how it is.
>>
>>8041866
emily dickenson :^)
>>
>>8030720
>>8036617
What is the deal with the terrible grammar, punctuation and spelling mistakes in this thread?
>>
>>8030391

I'm waiting for the gym culture faggots to fuck off. They are extremely annoying and banal. Most often city or suburban faggots who think working out their glamour. muscles for an hour every three days will get them anywhere and isn't just another form of narcissistic masturbation.
>>
>>8041104

I failed because I didn't do my homework yet I did well in class and on tests. Didn't like school anyway so I dropped out and went to work with my friend. No regrets, honestly.
>>
>>8030230
escapism
Thread replies: 171
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.