[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does literature brings out the most deluded people?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: delusional.gif (151 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
delusional.gif
151 KB, 500x375
Searching through the Kindle store - hundreds of self-published nonsensical drivel.

On any writing competition page - somebody boasting they have the next James Bond in broken English.

What is it about the allure of being a writer that attracts the type of people that have absolutely no ability to believe and keep at it? They write entire novels, which is a feat in itself, whilst thinking they've written the next great masterpiece. Most people I know can barely write one hundred pages without giving up.

It confuses me to no end. It's not as if these writers are average - they are completely and utterly terrible. What is it about writing that allows the deluded to think they're incredibly talented, and attracts them to it?
>>
Can't wait till someone writes the next James Bond.
>>
The shitty and delusional writers honestly believe they're great. They do not possess the critical or literary capacity to understand why their writing is garbage.

Amazon just offers them a way to pay for their unwarranted vanity.
>>
>>8029568
Writing a novel is one of the few notable things you can do by yourself (ignoring the editor role). All other forms of being famous or respected require being chosen by and being able to work well with other people -- like film for example, you can't simply go out an make a film by yourself.

I think it's not surprising that people with large egos but an inability to pass other hurdles that are usually necessary to become known/respected flock to writing novels.
>>
it's more formulaic than you think, at least on amazon.

the handful of top indie sellers are probably making six figures a year. Hugh Howey was making 150,000 a year on one single book (Wool Omnibus) and that was like five years ago.

the folks on top now are smart as hell, they know that people have shit taste and that allows them to pump out effortless vampire/werewolf/zombie/apocalyptic fiction on a WEEKLY basis.

there are even fucking GUIDES on how to write for amazon which are ALSO SOLD ON AMAZON.
>>
>>8029639
sorry, i meant 150,000 a MONTH, not year.
>>
>>8029568

Hey, is there any way to exclusively browse self-published work?

The literary establishment has let me down too often recently. I want to hear an outsider's voice.
>>
>>8029599
>you can't simply go out an make a film by yourself.
Carruth would like a word
>>
File: wojak tears.jpg (63 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
wojak tears.jpg
63 KB, 633x758
>>8029599
This line of reasoning is why I hate telling people I write a lot of fiction. Normies probably don't even think of it this way but saying it always makes me cringe.
>>
so the kettle meets pot. congrats, youre nothing special!
>>
>>8029679
>[Shane] Carruth would like a word
>"All food provided by Chip and Kathy Carruth"
nice try funny man
>>
>>8029639
Yeah it's pretty fucking cringe when you realize how plebs the majority of the people are, especially on kindle's top selling list holy fuck.

But I'm not complaining because I published some cringe books on Amazon Kindle and making sales, it's good beer money.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.