[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you guys ever read the Shakespeare biographical adaptat
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
Have you guys ever read the Shakespeare biographical adaptations in the Sandman series? I think they are some of the warmest, most tender and humane fictional portraits of the poet. My favorite is Nothing Like the Sun, by Anthony Burgess, but this one is also great, and I would like to share it with you. It starts here, whit a conversation between Will and Kit Marlowe (this chapter has only a few pages devoted to Shakespeare – pic related is one of them):

http://www.omgbeaupeep.com/comics/The_Sandman/013/10/

Then we eventually see Shakespeare and his crew in the beginning of the top stage of his carrear, with A Midsummer Night Dream:

http://www.omgbeaupeep.com/comics/The_Sandman/019/

We eventually reach the end of Shakespeare’s career (and of the Sandman’s series) with the days of old Shakespeare living in Stratford and working in The Tempest:

http://www.omgbeaupeep.com/comics/The_Sandman/075/

This last chapter is extremely moving, and it shows a William Shakespeare who has grown old and wise, but with that kind of understanding of humanity and the world that makes one melancholic and silent, rather than joyful. We see a man who treats everybody well, who lets his wife criticize and treat him like a kid, who don’t respond to the offenses of the towns people, who watch his daughter make the mistakes of thousands of young people but who knows that this is the way the world works…it is very touching. It is almost as if Shakespeare was some older incarnation of Leopold Bloom.
>>
>>8029322

funny to see Marlowe shiting on Will on the pic, lel
>>
>>8029322

this was great. Thanks.
>>
I'm actually interested in reading these Shakespeare parts. Is there a way to just get the Shakespeare parts?
>>
>>8029943

The first volume just devote some 4-5 pages to him, so read until he is out of the story.

The other 2 volumes are all devoted to him. The one about A Midssumer Night Dream even got major awards.
>>
>>8030072

Ah, okay. So the ones you linked to are the only ones that have the Shakespeare storyline?
>>
this is so fucking gay
>>
>>8030079

yes

>>8030217

yes, it is
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.