[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm trying to compile a list of the best and most important
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 302x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 302x450
I'm trying to compile a list of the best and most important writers of both modernism and postmodernism.

Modernism-
Joyce
Proust
Eliot
Pound
Faulkner
Hemingway
Fitzgerald
Stein
Yeats
Stevens
Beckett
Barnes
Conrad
Williams
Woolf
Auden
Borges
Cummings
Crane

Postmodern-
Gaddis
Gass
DeLillo
Pynchon
Wallace
Burroughs
Calvino
McElroy
Roth
Heller

Who am I missing? I know I have huge gaps in poetry and plays.
>>
File: Twiggy33.jpg (18 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
Twiggy33.jpg
18 KB, 400x600
me
>>
>>8028580
What you're missing:

Modernism:
Ford Maddox Ford
Thomas Wolfe
Flann O'Brien
Hermann Broch
Thomas Mann
Franz Kafka
[Insert name of someone I haven't heard of here]

Postmodernism:
John Barth
Donald Barthelme
Robert Coover
Raymond Federman
Alexander Theroux
Ronald Sukenick
D. Keith Mano
John Hawkes
Gilbert Sorrentino
Stephen Dixon
David Markson
Harry Mathews
Arno Schmidt
Raymond Queneau
Georges Perec
Jacques Roubaud
Gil Orlovitz
William T. Vollmann
Roberto Bolano
A.G. Porta
Thomas Bernhard
>>
>>8028586
this
>>
Add Baudelaire, Rimbaud, Mallarmé, who are more important individually than the sum of those English writers.
>>
>>8028580

The real question who's on the list of the best and most important writers of metamodernism...?
>>
>>8028753
Bernhard is not Pomo u filthy pleb
>>
>>8028775
Except for late Mallarmé, the rest isn't modern. They predate the movement, yes, but aren't.

There's a lack of Roussel, Artaud, Döblin, Szentkuthy and Pavić t b h.
>>
>>8028788
It depends how you view his work. I could make the same argument that Gass is late modern, but, for all intents and purposes, it's better to just go by op's definitions.
>>
>>8028580
> Delillo, Roth, Heller are Postmodern
>>
>>8028970
OP here. Heller and Roth are arguable. DeLillo is not.
>>
>>8028580
You are missing Karl Ove Knausgård
>>
>>8028580
>no Kafka
>no Mann
>no Corncob
>no DFW
End it my dude.
>>
>>8029065
>Doesn't know what the w stands for in DFW
>>
>>8029027
There's nothing post-modern about Delillo's technique.

The argument is "Well, his content is similar to Pynchon and he published in the 80s, HES POMO."

retards
>>
>>8029065
>implying McCarthy is postmodern, not neo-romantic
>>
>>8029225
Ok, I'll bite. What do you consider postmodern technique?
>>
>>8029225
Techniques have nothing to do with the the classification of an author; if they did, the vast majority of postmodernists would be classified as modernist, because they use techniques and styles from modernism, like stream-of-consciousness and metafiction.
>>
>>8029225
White Noise and Underworld are both quintessential postmodern works.
>>
The name Sherwood Anderson never comes up, but basically every major American modernist writer cites him as a huge influence. His book Winesburg, Ohio in particular.
>>
>>8029065
can't you read you daff cunt?
he says wallace right there
>>
>>8029429
Is that really worth reading? Is it that important to modernism? I get a corncobby feeling, just wanted to make sure.
>>
>>8028580
If you are studying modernism or something look into Wagner. Guy launched a thousand modernist ships!
>>
>>8032018
Winesburg is superb, and had a major influence on Hemingway, pretty sure Stein was a big fan of it too, think she wrote about making fun of Hemingway with Anderson over how he came to spurn them.
>>
>>8029241
I feel like postmodernism is characterized by an often soulless deconstruction of earlier forms through different forms of pastiche. And don't really feel like dellilo fits that bill. I've seen Barnes and Joyce referred to as early examples of postmodernism, but their work is full of soul.

The unemotional aspect isn't exactly a requirement, but I've noticed it in what I've read from Barthelme, Coover, and Ishmael Reed, who I'm not sure was included on the list above. Even DFW doesn't have as much pathos as people give him credit for.
>>
>>8028580
why are you making a list if all you know is who everyone knows?
>>
>>8028586
this desu

also kafka you dumb fuck
>>
>>8028775
>Baudelaire
I hate that guy
>>
>>8032102
I see what you mean, but you should just keep in mind: there really isn't definitive definition of postmodernism; no one--not even Wallace, not even Gass--really knows what to make of it; so playing pin-the-tail-on-the-postmodernism is pretty pointless, especially if, like some, you believe the difficulty to do so is an inherent trait of the movement itself. Besides, in their own way, McElroy and Gass and Gaddis--especially Gaddis, in my opinion--have as much pathos as Faulkner and Joyce did, albeit a less optimistic kind.
>>
>>8029027
Heller is core postmodern lit.
>>
Modernism : Gracq, Gary, Sebald, Kawabata, Mauriac, Perec, Paz, Céline, Saramago
>>
What about DH Lawrence?
>>
Pomo: Renata Adler
>>
File: papa.jpg (34 KB, 360x450) Image search: [Google]
papa.jpg
34 KB, 360x450
>'best postmodern authors'
>lists only americans, slips in Calvino for balance, probably didn't even read it

God, you Americans are truly self-important bastards, aren't you.
>>
Modernism-wise, there's Mina Loy, Djuna Barnes, Walter Benjamin
>>
>>8028860
coming from a Bernhard scholar i would definitely classify him as a modernist. Some even called him 'the last modernist'. But I get that a lot of people like to separate the division of modern and postmodern with a date rather than as distinct styles. Makes it easier i suppose
>>
>>8028580
Kafka
Brecht
Updike
McCarthy
Barth
Barthelme
Nabokov
(Tom Stoppard)
(Tzara)
>>
I don't think Calvino is a 'postmodern' writer

he plays a little bit with metafiction, most notably in If On a Winter's Night a Traveler, but there is none of the intertextuality or metanarrative skepticisms

most of his shit is just like clever folktale pastiche
>>
>>8029246
>>8029241
>>8029241
>>8029235
top kek

It's basically Steinbeck or Hemingway writing about conspiracy theories. There's 0 post-modern technique in Delillo.
>>
>>8029235
Giving characters retarded names.
>>
>>8033206

>McCarthy

He's anti-modernist. His aesthetics are a direct rejection of modernist techniques.
>>
>>8033227
I agree DeLillo is not a postmodernist writer, but you are very off course if you think he is a conspiracy writer.
>>
>>8033164
> Sebald is po-mo

what the literal fuck
>>
>>8033233
>style aping hemingway and faulkner
>focus on form and theme over narrative
>portrays the subjective
>somehow not modernist
>>
>>8033233
>and and and and and
I don't completely think so, bucko.
>>
>PoMo
>meaning anything but "after modernism"
>>
>>8033239
Look up intertextuality, historiographic metafiction, read 'Austerlitz' and then come back at me, senpai.
>>
>>8033323
read 3 of his books and his short story/essay collection

he's modernist

you're on drugs if you think he's po-mo

simple as that
>>
>>8032191
He wants you to.
>>
>no Dorothy Richardson

Haha, good one OP. Really got me.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.