[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there such thing as chart for philosophical aesthetics?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: analytics.jpg (343 KB, 1858x1204) Image search: [Google]
analytics.jpg
343 KB, 1858x1204
Is there such thing as chart for philosophical aesthetics?
>>
File: philosopher's jumper.jpg (133 KB, 1310x779) Image search: [Google]
philosopher's jumper.jpg
133 KB, 1310x779
>>8027823
>philosophical aesthetics
Here you go mate, $183 and you're set
>>
>>8027823
just read adorno aesthetic theory
>>
Plotinus and Aristotle for ancient thought

Then jump into Burke and Kant which are key for understanding any posterior aesthetics.

Finish with Benjamin, Adorno and Heidegger.
>>
>>8028183
I should also point out that Plotinus and specially Aristotle are probably not that necessary for understanding posterior though, since they are too caught up in their metaphysics.

Still an interesting read though.
>>
>>8028183
What Kant?
>>
You shouldnt read philosophy following a flowchart. You should start anywhere you want, learn some history and follow the path that you find the most reasonable
>>
>>8028194
Critique of Pure Reason and Critique of Judgement. CoJ is the aesthetics work but you'll need to read CoPR to understand it in full form.

Some (light) introductory works and tips:
- http://www.iep.utm.edu/aestheti/ (Excellent summary, explains to you the primary problems of the field and shows you Aesthetics is way more than only the classic thinkers such as Aristotle, Hume, Burke and Kant.)
- "10. References and Further Reading" of the link above. phenomenal bibliography made by professional philosophers.
- Hippias Major from Plato (Short, almost satyric dialogue in which Socrates and Hippias try to define art, cool to read as fiction)
- Poetics from Aristotle (Fundamental theory of tragedy)
- Some History of Art (Gombrich's one is cool and easy to read)
- Of the Standard of Taste and Of Tragedy (Hume's seminal aesthetics works, but again you'll need to read his principal works to understand those fully)
- Go to as many museums, plays, exhibitions etc as possible and enjoy the works. This is key. Pound used to say that the guy that is always going to see the actual paintings is far superior to the one that only studies them but rarely goes to see the actual piece.
>>
>>8028238
To add to this http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/aesthetic-concept/ is also a good introductory read.

I really liked Gombrich story of art, I definetly recommend it even if it's not directly related to aesthetics.
>>
>>8028238
Not OP, but thank ye
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.