[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, /lit/ new poster here. I'm sure you've had this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: Rye_catcher.jpg (70 KB, 223x351) Image search: [Google]
Rye_catcher.jpg
70 KB, 223x351
Hey, /lit/ new poster here.

I'm sure you've had this discussion before. I just finished reading this book for the first time ever. Overall I found it decent. It got rather dull and redundant until awhile after the second half of the book.

Unfortunately I'm already passed my depressed edgy teenager stage. But I was curious, for those of you who read this during your mid/late teens, did it affect you in any way?
>>
No. I found it incredibly dreary, as I still find New Yorkers to this day.
There's something wrong with those people.
>>
It's the greatest YA novel with The Great Gatsby.
>>
YA garbage. John Green sucks the shit out of my ass.
>>
I remember reading it for school, so naturally I found it pretty boring. Looking back on it, there haven't been a whole lot of American novels nowadays that can beat the themes it had
>>
>>8027095
Yes, both Catcher and Heart of Darkness are not good enough to be classics, but they are a rarity. Perhaps that's enough.
>>
Best "lost innocence" novel in history.
>>
It's a good "coming of age" novel, but it's not a classic.
>>
>>8027113
Heart of Darkness is universally accepted as a classic, and a prominent entry in the western canon. What the fuck are you talking about.
>>
so do you guys think holden was molested
>>
>>8027148
egh. do you believe Apocalypse Now is classic cinema as well?
>>
>>8027154
I don't think so, but that teacher seemed to had some sexual desire towards Holden
>>
>>8027154
The ol' teach was just highballin'
>>
>>8027154
he's a boarding school kid of course he got cornholed in the middle of the night.
>>
>>8027160
It's not old enough to be a "classic".
>>
>>8027184
So we have to wait 20 more years before we can call it classic even tho it'll be the same movie then as it is now?
>>
>>8027197
Yes, that's generally how it works.

Are you having trouble, anon?
>>
should I be thinking about things if I'm 19 and still feel the same way about people as Holden does?
>>
>>8027216
you should probably be self aware enough to realize its a reflection of your own insecurity by now but otherwise eh
>>
>>8027216
if you can explain how you "feel about people" then I can answer that question
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.