[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone have an idea for what might be the best edition for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: 51CipYQylYL.jpg (37 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
51CipYQylYL.jpg
37 KB, 333x500
Does anyone have an idea for what might be the best edition for Hypnerotomachia Poliphili?
>>
>>8025765

I don't know. The version I have I've never been able to find again. I'm not sure if that should concern me.
>>
>>8025765
I have the epub off libgen (IIRC), but I would not recommend it, personally.
>>
>reading a book with that pretentious of a title
>>
>>8025781
why even mention it then?
>>
>>8025787
>implying you didn't reply to this thread because you wanted an answer to OP's question
>>
>>8025787

>reading a book with that pretentious of a title

Please, anon. Try harder to be cool next time. Your current technique is beyond stale. It's moldy. Time for the trash.

>Poliphilo's Strife of Love in a Dream or The Dream of Poliphilus, is a romance said to be by Francesco Colonna and a famous example of early printing. First published in Venice in 1499, in an elegant page layout, with refined woodcut illustrations in an Early Renaissance style, Hypnerotomachia Poliphili presents a mysterious arcane allegory in which Poliphilo pursues his love Polia through a dreamlike landscape, and is, seemingly, at last reconciled with her by the Fountain of Venus.

Not wanting to read that? Puhlease, anon. Please.
>>
>>8025815
any books similar to this?
>>
>>8025788
As a way of saying OP could avoid that edition. I don't get what you're upset about.
>>
there's literally only one edition available in english. why don't you learn to use google before making a thread.
>>
>>8025845
>there's literally only one edition available in english

well that's a lie
>>
Better question since there's only 1 translation in modern english that's full by jocelyn.

What's the best translation of Vita Nuovo?
>>
>>8025815
i'd rather read greek tragedies but thanks mah man :)))
>>
>>8025853
Penguin
>>
>>8025857
which have you read faggot?
>>
>>8025871
all of them
minus rhesus
>>
>>8025863

What about gabriel rossetti's translation? anyone know anything about it?
>>
File: 71uWzdW25nL.jpg (249 KB, 800x1206) Image search: [Google]
71uWzdW25nL.jpg
249 KB, 800x1206
anyone know anything about this one?
>>
>>8025906

m8 i just looked at all the versions on amazon it's literally the same translator just different publications.

just buy the nice hardback
>>
>>8025912
but there like 200 more pages in >>8025906
than in OP's
>>
>>8025925

Why, in the name of all premarital fornicators in Hell, are you judging anything by page count?
>>
>>8025942
more pages more stuffs
>>
>>8025942
OP's is an incomplete edition from the Elizabethan era.

Godwin's translation is the only complete translation in the English language.
>>
>>8025958
is >>8025906 the complete edition?
>>
SAAAAAAAAAAVVVEE MEEEE TOOODAAAYYY
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.