[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Lovecraft worth reading? I highly enjoy horror stories and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 285x352) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 285x352
Is Lovecraft worth reading? I highly enjoy horror stories and poetry, but I've never actually read anything by him. Should I go for it?
>>
Go ahead. It's worth reading a bit even if you just want to understand all the references to his work. Read his most famous stuff in an anthology before trying his complete works, though - some of his stories are only worthwhile if you're already a fan.
>>
nigger why don't you READ HIM AND FIND OUT
>>
Yo also need help:
Ive got "the best of HP Lovecraft" here and so far have read
>the call of cthulu (duh)
>the color out of space
>the dunwich horror
>the shadow over innsmouth

The last was my absolute favourite! Where do I go from here?
>>
>>8025548
Shadow out of Time
The Shunned House
At the Mountains of Madness
Shadow over Innsmouth

A lot of his shorter stories have a far different feel but are cool:

The cats of Ulthar
Cool Air
From Beyond
Rats in the Walls
Under the Pyramids
The Music of Eric Zahn

Most of his stuff is at least okay if you like spooky.
>>
>>8025567
Thank you! I had started reading rats in the walls but dropped it after noticing it to be distinctly different and imo not as good as shadow over innsmouth that I had read before it.
I have got the shadow out of time, as well as rats in the walls and the music of eric zahn here.
Will start with one of them!
>>
File: dickbraft.jpg (85 KB, 404x507) Image search: [Google]
dickbraft.jpg
85 KB, 404x507
>>8025456
>>
He wrote mostly short stories all of which are in the public domain at this point so it's not like it's going to waste a lot of time to read him. I think color out of space was his most interesting work. It's not the deepest stuff but I think he's a very effective writer for what he does.
>>
my opinion of lovecraft as a writer has only gone up over the years.

'Weird Realism: Lovecraft and Philosophy' is an excellent critical assessment of his work.more a book on Speculative realism the lovecraft but still.
>>
>>8026170
>Everyone else mentionin' lesser stories
>You pop up and save the day

Thanks /lit/
>>
>>8025499
>>8026170
This. There's a "Complete Works of H.P . Lovecraft" around.
>>
File: lcOYJYJ.jpg (559 KB, 1800x2400) Image search: [Google]
lcOYJYJ.jpg
559 KB, 1800x2400
>>8025456
Yes, he was a seer.
>>
>>8025456
Houellebecq's book about him is amazing and is far better than anything I've read by HP Lovecraft himself.
>>
>>8025456
Are you a regular browser of /pol/?
Do you dislike /d/ or hate sushi?
Does the sight of those 6 limbed or more maniacally plotting fiends at aquariums send shivers down your spine?
Then Lovecraft is your kind of novel.
>>
Read the influential stories, then go on to other horror writers. Lovecraft is classic and for a good reason, but his style gets repetitive over time. Thomas Ligotti is a post-Lovecraft weird author who I find to be much more interesting, for example.

>Should I go for it?
Why the fuck ask anyway? Quit wasting your time and get reading
>>
>>8028705
Houllebecqs essay about him is great
The french seem to have some kind of strange fascination with him
D&G also refer to him quite a lot especially his work "through the gate of the silver key"
>>
>>8028278
Fucking cringe
>>
I find him worthwhile.An author I can always return to when my mind is tired.
>>
>>8025567
>The Music of Eric Zahn
That one is god-tier

I also love Pickmans model
>>
>>8027915
Yep, you can download it for free on Kindle

http://arkhamarchivist.com/free-complete-lovecraft-ebook-nook-kindle/
>>
nah he's fucking trsah lmao
>>
>>8028278
>they'll remember us, damn it. Better than they'll remember him.
Eighty years after his death, people are still talking about Lovecraft, and you're busy writing Lovecraft fanfiction. Eighty years from now, people will still be talking about Lovecraft, and nobody will be talking about you.

>some legacies deserve to be shat on, we toppled your little trash god from his pedestal
Kek, you're not gonna topple him from his pedestal by writing fanfiction.
Do you think you are the first people to write queer and PoC stories based on Lovecraft? People have done that before, right? And still, even YOU are not talking about them: eighty years later, you're still talking about Lovecraft, while the shitty fanfiction you're pushing is dead on arrival.
Don't kid yourself: you're not shitting on anyone's legacy, you're just shit.
>>
>>8028278
Looked her up. Literally all she writes about is brown people or black people or yellow people.

Daniel Jose Older also looks like he's the Black Lives Matter type. Fucking cunts
>>
>>8029840
well said
>>
>>8028278
Just one more reason I'm glad I never go to twitter pages.
>>
>>8029840
>eighty years from now, nobody will be talking about you
S A V A G E
>>
File: Necronomicon-745239.jpg (265 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Necronomicon-745239.jpg
265 KB, 1600x1200
Since this is essentially /Lovecraft/ general,I have to ask a question.

Is the hardcover edition of the Necronomicon a good collection?

I already have a story collection,but that isn't in english,and isn't in a particulary good shape.
And as far as I can tel it has all the good stories and then some more.

And it looks so beautifull on the pictures
>>
>>8032496
Why put some Cthulhu garbage on the cover ?
>>
>>8032496
No, it's full of errors.
>>
>>8032522
what kind of errors?
>>
>>8032521
Why not.
I think it looks cool.
>>
No. He is a meme
>>
>>8032522
Lovecraft is full of errors. If a manuscript was rejected he would just resubmit the same thing later.
>>
>>8025456
Yea, he wrote some pretty good stuff

Dunwich Horror, Shadows over Innsmouth, The Call of Cthulhu and In the Mountains of Madness are what you propably shoudl read first.

From his short stories I think The Music of Eric Zahn, Herbert West - Reanimator, Pickmans model, Cats of Ulthar, Dagon, Cold Air, Rats in the Walls and The Nameless City are pretty good and worth a read.
>>
>>8032496
Not especially. The purple book by Barnes and Noble is the one to get. This Necronomicon book has a sister book called Eldritch Tales. So if you get Necro you have to get the other one. If you're OK with that, fine. But the purple Barnes and Noble one has some good features, for example all the stories are placed according to when Lovecraft wrote them and every story has a small intro giving you details about the story.

>>8032986
That doesn't mean it was full of errors. Upon resubmitting some stories, they were published. This just means the editors were being too tight-assed or lazy.

>>8033168
ReAnimator is really not worth reading. HPL wrote it only because it was requested, not because he wanted to. It's the least Lovecraftian story of all his stuff.
>>
>>8025456
Lovecraft's horror is actually very sensible. He really is one of the few horror writers worth reading.
>>
>>8033251
That looks cooler too.
I'll get that instead then.
Does that have all the stories and poems he wrote?
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.