[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>a whole chapter dedicated to the fixing of Lucy Mancini's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 9780399103421.jpg (21 KB, 400x430) Image search: [Google]
9780399103421.jpg
21 KB, 400x430
>a whole chapter dedicated to the fixing of Lucy Mancini's huge-ass vagina

I like this book a lot but I don't think that was really necessary. They could've estabilished Jules as a character just with Michael's operation.

Also, how do you guys feel about this book?
>>
>>8025402
>they

I'm thinking in movie terms again. I meant him, as in Mario Puzo.
>>
I really like it. Maybe not very explicitly, but it raises interesting ethical questions, it's fun and written well enough. Except for that vagina chapter, of course.

>>8025426
This is a very slow board, you don't have to bump every 5 minutes.
>>
>>8025449
I'm not op, sorry
>>
>>8025449

As >>8025451 said, he isn't me.

Another minor gripe I have concerns the way Puzo portrays the Hollywood people.
It all sounds so awful and souless that I think he's trying to get back on them due to some bad experience with the film industry prior to the novel's release.

Or maybe everything's true and I just don't know.
>>
>>8025466
soulless*

I don't think I made my point clearly enough.
What I meant is that they are comically unethical and deviant, especially the women. To an unbelieavable degree, even.

I'm sorry, english is not my first language.
>>
File: YimZrrW.jpg (64 KB, 753x960) Image search: [Google]
YimZrrW.jpg
64 KB, 753x960
>>8025476
Idk if he's not being unrealistic or getting back at them, people in hollywood especially producers are pretty deviant. Just look at what they did to Judy Garland. If that's not contemporary enough, the guy who directed Amadeus (I think) raped some teen. Producers have a tremendous amount of power and people let themselves be manipulated for fame, so I didn't think the orgy party was overly contrived or anything. To make my point clearer, if a director or producer consistently manipulated a young impressionable actress into having sex with him inexchange for parts then continued to do so over the course of filming, the young actress might have a different understanding of sexuality and the value of intercourse than you or I and it wouldn't be too uncharacteristic for them to view sex as almost meaningless or just something to do.

As for my opinions of the book as a whole, I really enjoyed it the first read, but when I returned to it I wsa very bored and Puzo's writing style is kind of bland and basic.
>>
i liked this book in 8th grade, i'd probably think it's really dumb if i read it now
>>
>>8025402
Also I think the whole big vagina aspect was to show the reader first that 1. Lucy is close to Sonny and therefore close to the family so they value her opinion and trust her in some measure. 2. Because lucy trusts the good doctor and because we get all of his back story from their interactions ( like how he does abortions so he's not someone who follows the law, but does what he thinks is moral or correct even if its against the law) puzo shows us that he would have no qualms about helping a mob boss and is qualified 3. because we see lucy trusting him we know that michael can trust him and puzo now doesn't ahve to pull a doctor out of his ass somewhere later in the book.
Puzo also needs lucy to bring Jules to Johnny to further establish that trust factor with the family.
>>
>>8025522
>>8025522
are you me
>>
>>8025402
Highly recommend "Fools Die" by Puzo.

It explores the main psychological themes further.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.