[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you guys read the Ramayana? If so, what do you think about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: Lord Rama .png (294 KB, 800x480) Image search: [Google]
Lord Rama .png
294 KB, 800x480
Have you guys read the Ramayana? If so, what do you think about it? Would you recommend it?
>>
>>8025282
I read it for a world lit course. Not sure who the translator was since it was in an anthology, but I liked it quite a bit. I've heard the Mahabharata is even better, but I haven't read it. Look around for what is the best translation and then go for it OP.
>>
Is it OK to just watch the 2008 TV adaptation instead?
>>
>>8025282
Yeah but don't read the Hari Krishna translation, they clandestinely added their own Hari Krishna agenda to their version.
>>
>>8025459
surprise surprise
>>
>>8025459
>clandestinely
are you retarded? the translation is perfectly fine. and its commentary is written from a point of view.
>>
>>8025493
It's not fine though. There are liberties taken everywhere with the translation. For instance, the Hari Krishna version is the only translation I know of which describes Ayodhya as a city without atheists, a line which is not in the original sanskrit version or in any previous translation.

It's not even a translation really, it's too short to be a proper translation, the writer (Subramanium I believe her last name is) more or less reinterpreted the Ramayan in an attempt to make it easier and more readable but there are a lot of strange which were taken like my previous example.

The ISKONs are all very strange, you shouldn't trust their writings, they have a very Christianized perspective of Hinduism.
>>
>>8025282
If the Ramayana is like the Hobbit, the Mahabharata is LOTR.

Although, the Mahabharata goes into ASOIAF territory is is objectively better.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.