[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is a lot of the elitism and butthurt on this board frustration
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: 1422677625216.jpg (7 KB, 200x195) Image search: [Google]
1422677625216.jpg
7 KB, 200x195
Is a lot of the elitism and butthurt on this board frustration due to the fact that we no longer live in olden times where obsessing over books or religious works was the only way to convey intelligence? These days we have maths, physics, chemistry, biology, computer science, and to a lesser extent economics, psychology, entrepreneurship, and to a much lesser extent sociology and anthropology.

And the reading of books has been elevated in to an intellectual and religious act due to absurd literary "theory" (and cultural dogma) that treats every single work of fiction as a potential source of incredible wisdom / philosophical insights / penetrating knowledge about humanity. But definitely not just a source of entertainment, no way (well that's what the academia-publishing-media industrial complex tells me).
>>
*tips fedora*

t'would be a good thing to see if people realised video games can be art too
>>
Do you know what the word 'art' means?
>>
Is it wrong to say that through enjoying pieces of creative fiction/non-fiction we then gain wisdom and philosophical insight?
I feel like we just try too hard to dissect and analyze something rather than just reading it.
>>
>>8024594
If books can't be entertainment, what is twilight or other pop shit? Sure, there's conventional wisdom that reading makes you smart no matter what you read, but in most cases readers learn nothing from what they read and it's little more than tv.

Although they were more deeply intermingled, the Greeks and Romans had most of those fields as well, and both lit and philosophy propagated their societies.

The biggest issue nowadays is probably universal literacy and access to old texts. It's hard to establish a new canon when everyone is on a similar playing field and there are few ways to distinguish yourself. I wonder if someone writing now could possibly champion a new movement posthumously like a Kierkegaard or a Nietzsche
>>
>>8024603

Judging by Wikipedia and the Stanford philosophical encyclopedia there is no agreed upon definition.

Though, on a no doubt completely separate note, I do see that some people have some incentives for claiming certain definitions and that they try their best to avoid mentioning that they have these incentives.
>>
File: Bait-Shop.jpg (79 KB, 600x490) Image search: [Google]
Bait-Shop.jpg
79 KB, 600x490
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.