[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is your current novel/short story about, anon?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26
File: crumb-kafka.jpg (89 KB, 385x460) Image search: [Google]
crumb-kafka.jpg
89 KB, 385x460
What is your current novel/short story about, anon?
>>
turns out a guy who loved his waifu was actually her husbando and her's is the real world that dreams up his
>>
It's about Infinite Jest
>>
some unemployed pseudointellectuals and political radicals in 2020 america
>>
Writing about a Syrian refugee looking for a better life who comes face to face with Western millennial culture
>>
So I'm trying to connect the pagan holiday May Day with the Haymarket Square rebellion in a supernatural fantasy kind of way.
>>
I'm writing some kind of essay on how terrorism works when it comes to its perception by perpetrators, victims and neutrals.
I do this just to order my ideas before I start writing a novelle or play (still don't know) in which a hipster artist who is amazed by terrorist violence from a Dostoyevsky-like aesthetic perspective gets kidnapped by a communist group. That situation gives place to a long conversation on aesthetics of violence between the artist, a militant from the group and the guy who is in charge of the propaganda stuff.
>>
big wet asses
>>
>>8024021
you mean when the government gives him money and place to live solely because his is a syrian ooga booga?
>>
File: One million keks.jpg (10 KB, 240x210) Image search: [Google]
One million keks.jpg
10 KB, 240x210
>>8024021
terrible
>>
>>8024069
>him
you mean her. and yes that is the jyst of it. she just escaped a war torn country so she will take anything she can get
>>
>>8024085
>you mean her

and that's when i thought you couldn't make your novel worse...

a female ooga booga!
>>
>>8024092
>ooga booga
what does that even mean?

I can write females better than males simply because I can relate to them more but its not the most important part of the tale.
>>
>>8024021
Isn't that exactly the culture they are looking for when they travel Germany and western Europe?
>>
>>8024101

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=oogabooga

that 19th century part is bs btw but the etymology can be true... it seems nobody is certain, it either went from ugly bugger or it's an onomatopoeia, i dunno which is more correct
>>
>>8024109
I don't think so. The last thing they probably want is to see their homeland in turmoil.

I'm still doing a lot of research such as reading their first hand experiences. It's a strange new experience for them.
>>
>>8024116
She is Syrian not Sudanese
>>
>>8024126
it doesn't matter
>>
>>8023992
It's about the compromises one has to make to live in a state of socially acceptable absolute egoism
>>
>>8023992
A middle-aged father declares himself his own country, and begins waging war against the US by tipping over trash cans, stealing manhole covers, spreading propaganda around his neighborhood, and employing his children--principalities, he calls them--as his purple shirts.
>>
>>8024158
It sounds fun, I'd read it
>>
>>8024119
Well the last thing may be that but they clearly also rather want to see Germany than say Turkey or Greece.
>>
>>8024170
>It sounds fun
That's the goal. Before I even try to publish stuff like my most recent project--a 70-page sentence fragment with no punctuation--I need to establish myself, and prove that I'm not a complete hack.
>>
>>8024206
what's the point of a 70 pages sentence besides showing that you can write a 70 pages sentence?
>>
An old, retired, man who spent his whole life working blue collar labor jobs to provide his wife and kids watches his wife slip into senililty. Because of her, he cannot travel or do any of the things he wanted to do, the things he always told himself he would do before he died.

The story details his epiphany that he hasn't lived his life for himself, but for her, which is futile because she doesn't deserve it, and he realizes he doesn't love her, and hasn't for sometime.

He gets a obituary letter telling him the husband of his high school sweet heart has died, and he leaves his wife to spend his final years with her.

The story ends with his wife talking to her daughter. She tells her daughter that her husband will be home soon, as he is out for groceries, though he left her several months ago.
>>
It's a short story collection. The stories will be situations in which I meet her, which I imagine while walking and hoping to meet her somewhere.

It will be about obsession, isolation and unrequited love.
>>
I'm working on a series of time travel erotica novellas.

College roommates, Chuck and Sam are best friends and kind of an odd couple. Chuck is a physics major and a big nerd. Sam is the opposite, a lacrosse-playing ladies' man with sexy muscles.

After drinking magic mushroom tea at a hippie sex party, Chuck has a dream that he is fucking a beautiful blue skinned alien with hypnotic eyes and tits to die for. When he wakes up he has new insight into the physics behind quantum mechanics and time travel.

Chuck researches the equations from his dream at the library and tracks down a mysterious ancient scepter which allows them to time travel.

In a stroke of genius, they decide to travel through time to the night the Titanic sank, so they can be on a sweet boat and bang women who were going to die anyway.

When they loose the magic scepter, they may be going down with the ship. Their dicks may have got the best of them in this sexy adventure.

https://www.amazon.com/Fucking-Time-Machine-Titanic-ebook/dp/B01F1AF242/ref=pd_sim_sbs_351_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41AZBX4kSPL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_UX300_PJku-sticker-v3%2CTopRight%2C0%2C-44_OU01_AC_UL160_SR100%2C160_&refRID=HZQ5P6TYG94029ZGR590
>>
>>8024158
Sounds fun, would read it.
>>8024231
Sounds interesting, would read it.
>>8024021
It will get really popular and it will be called one of the most important works of our time.
>>
>>8024242
How long is it? Can you provide an extract? You're very likely to be about to be 3.41 dollar richer
>>
I'm going to write children books because I want to at least obtain some form of income without resorting to journalism
>>
>>8024213
It's like that for a reason, my man. The sentence acts as time, so it is flowing, unbroken, and, as the fragment suggests, extends before and after the life of the narrator, who, as the sentence progresses, grows up and gets older, until he is old, senile, and completely different from his younger self.
>>
File: deb76bd5a21b111827b6212ed4a868d8.jpg (259 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
deb76bd5a21b111827b6212ed4a868d8.jpg
259 KB, 1200x1600
>>8024265
>It will get really popular and it will be called one of the most important works of our time.

see, considering that person is likely a woman, >>8024101

>I can write females better than males simply because I can relate to them more

women know what to write to be famous and popular, women are practical like that :^)
>>
>>8024021
Please don't do it, I don't want to see it be praised
>>
>>8023992
another typical shit post. Properly by bot post of 4chan to stimulate the stupidity and show-off nature of /lit.
>>
Generic fantasy stuff
>>
it's about a man masturbating in a public sauna
>>
>>8024231
i h-hope he's not the good guy
>>
>>8024021

I have a friend who tried something similar. Just a tip:

Surely at a few points in the story she'll be confronted with the nu-rights. While most of them reached a degree of ignorance that shouldn't be possible don't portray them in the cliche nu-right way. Take at least one nu-right character and try to write him/her in a
multi-layered fashion. Carve out the fundamental problems within our society (Uncertainty about the future, the result of monotonous every day life: frustration, etc.) that lead to views like these. Don't let the nu-rights become the boogeyman of your story, expose them for what they really are, flawed humans who slipped into an unfortunate way of compensating.
>>
>>8024231
Sounds like a wonderful villain!
>>
>>8024450
>>8024427
Why do you say that? I'm actually trying to make him a sympathetic character, where he's tron between his wife's oncoming dementia and her senality. I wouldn't consider him a villain, would you?
>>
Basically AOIAF without incest during cold war era, with mechas.
>>
>>8023992
a man who unwillingly starts a blue collar working class revolution. It actually happens, but nobody likes them because they've lived comfortable lives.
>>
Lovecraftian fiction.
Currently I am working on a sequel to Dagon. The ending and beginning are decent. The middle is missing.

Another story is about a young man driven mad by dreams of a strange realm, each time understanding more and more about it until he is cut off so he travels to Arkham to study at the university to find out the meaning.

Another one is just called 17 Days. About a corpse who washes ashore on a Philippine Island and how he ended up like that. I was on holiday there recently and I felt dead inside after I had to leave.
>>
I have a fictional world lined up ready to span from a galactic war with civilizations millennia before human evolution, to a secret organization that works to kill the first gods on earth that seek to subjugate humanity through fear, to WWIII, to the return of said ancient civ.
>>
>>8024231
ending sounds too schmaltzy, i dig the concept tho
>>
>>8024774
Christ now that I put this into words I feel I've spread myself too thin.
Which sucks because every time I have an idea for a plot I find it extremely difficult to decide it's not with expanding upon, so literally everything I come up with gets added to my personal universe.
>>
>>8024811
it's also quite similar to the plot of evangelion
>>
>>8024771
17 Days sounds interesting and got a cool title. Did the guy pull a hero?
>>
>>8024804
and almost cliche, i'll add. the focus of your novel at that point isn't on his ex-wife, it's on him. thematically, you're going against the decisions made up until that point in the novel

who does that sort of an ending matter to? to him? he left her for dead. the reader? dunno about that.

a story that gets this right is the Metamorphosis. the entire thing is abour gregor samsa until after he dies. after the climax he's been forgotten as the main character completely. the final sentence describes her, blossoming as a young woman. in fact, you could argue the story was about her all along.

don't hinge on cliche, try to think up an original resolution.
>>
>>8024813
Oh fuck what?
>>
>>8024822
the final sentence describes his sister*
>>
>>8024824
Yep:
Ancestral race;war before human evolution
Seele: secret organization to (kill) become first gods
War against the angels: ww11
return of said ancient race: third impact
>>
In Hong Kong twenty years from now a pro-independence party threatens the mainland's control and threatens the city itself with fascist, militaristic nationalism. A rookie policewoman, signed up for the piloted robot unit, witnesses the slow decline of the city as political intrigues and conspiracies mixed with deadly terroristic violence erodes everything about it she loves before the spectre of the Chinese Communist Party can get there first, until the idea of becoming like metal, as inhuman as the machine she drives, starts to look a very appealing prospect...
>>
>>8024845
Does it help that said ancient race turns out to be ancient humans, and that the effects of the war aren't really felt on earth except for the first gods who are essentially that race but can use magic?
And the secret organization has nothing to do with the original ancient empire?
>>
It's about a guy who is reunited with his estranged college roommates after a mutual friend of theirs dies. He realizes that all of them had become "real" adults while he had been pissing his life away after graduation. They eat at a diner and reconnect but he sees that they are different people now and he can't keep up with them with their new lives. The story ends with him bringing a girl from the group home to sleep with her but realizes how alone he is and that she won't be able to reconnect him with his past and what he invisioned his future to be.
>>
File: 1462596581759.jpg (617 KB, 707x1234) Image search: [Google]
1462596581759.jpg
617 KB, 707x1234
>>8024876
Too real, dude.
Write it.
>>
It's a contemporary family saga
>>
>>8023992
Is it lame if you base your protagonist on yourself? I have pretty bad OCD and though it might be a good ingredient for storytelling but it might come out forced and cringy
>>
>>8023992
Well, not exactly a short story, but I'm writing a really short screenplay about a guy who gets kidnapped by a low-level crime boss, learns that he's got gun-fu powers or some shit and had his memory wiped. The boss controls the powers, and every time he gets to use them he gets a flash of memory back.

Wanted to make it a real 80's throwback, John Carpenter-style badassery. Hell, the boss has an eyepatch.
>>
>>8024913
As long as you don't make him a literal self-insert Mary Sue type you're cool.
>>
>>8024913
Just don't make it too obvious
>>
>>8024862
No but giving that one of the top book in the 100 best selling ebooks on amazon is literally called "Shades of Vampires", you should probably ride that similarity cock as much as you can
>>
>>8024934
Does it help that I don't have giant mech suits in modern earth, and that there's actually content and story on the ancient race?
I feel like your similarities you're pointing out are very loose. And I haven't watched Evangelion, I just know that it has bio mechs and some chick in a skin tight suit for fanservice.
>>
>>8024973
Maybe you're right, the only thing that I can tell you for sure is that as soon as I've read your post the first thing that has poppe into my mind was "that's basically eva"
>>
>>8024997
Huh.
Well, you had a fair point though. Don't think it'll affect how it's received, hopefully.
>>
>>8024158

this happens in an episode of Family Guy
>>
>>8023992

Dude gets turned into female animal and gets fucked.

Kind of a niche fetish thing. Getting paid about $100 for it.
>>
>>8023992
Two teenagers who find a dead body.
>>
An arrogant Historian who is bored out of his mind, starts a game where he assumes someone is reading his mind. His objective is to entertain this spectator as best as he can. He starts of telling stories about history and slowly transitions in telling more about himself. After a while this historian gets rather attached to the mind reader and goes to great lengths to prove his or her existence.
>>
It's about the way people/groups isolate themselves from other people/groups and the world. And how these people/groups become so focused on building themselves up in an echo chamber fashion. It's centered around hipsters.
>>
>>8024085
>jyst
>>
>>8025020
W-what? Are you sure?
>>
>>8023992
The life of a nu-male based on my friend irl.
>>
i'm rewriting dracula. help me with the ending, guys.

Who does he work for?

What is the next step in his master plan?
>>
>>8024021
This sounds pretty good.

Keep in mind muslims hate homosexuality, gender equality, sexual freedom, and jews.

It's worth noting that muslims voted 90% republican before the war on terror.
>>
I'm writing a novel and good lord is it hard. I'm closing in on 2 years and 300k words worth of drafting, and I'm just about done with my first draft.
>>
>>8024242
are chuck and sam based on charls carrol and sam hyde?
>>
A guy watching birds at his grandmothers funeral
>>
>>8024000
Neil Gaiman did it
>>8024032
Sounds fun
>>8024056
>>writing a play
What is this, 1950?
>>8024697
boooooo
>>8024771
The last one sounds cool
>>8025068
Sounds difficult to pull off in short form, could be fun though. Might be cool for him to focus on an individual who he thinks is reading his mind, just to put in another solid character.
>>8025086
>>discusses theme instead of plot
Write a mansplaining essay if you don't have a story to tell
>>
Social outcast fighting against stigmatization, his inner demons and incidental self sabotage. Eventually he lets go of his hate and goes on a quest to find other's like him, attempting to prevent suicides and expose people to the pitfalls and strengths of being human.
>>
Writer discovers occult Nazi war criminal who tricks him into writing his autobiography.
>>
I'm taking a break from my big novel to write a smaller story. I just finished the second edit of my big novel and I need a break.

This small one has parallel stories that only barely intersect but have thematic overlap. One story follows Spurs GM R. C. Buford in the years between the 2007 and 2014 NBA Finals as he wavers between breaking up the Duncan/Parker/Ginobli core and surrounding it with the role players necessary to keep things going. The other story follows Phuong Hernandez, an aging basketball referee who works for an NCAA Division II conference and does some AAU and high school tournaments on the side. As Phuong's marriage falls apart, her career hits a wall when she fails to impress at a Big 12 officiating camp. An unlikely chain of events in Austin, Texas ends with Phuong as the head referee of the state's high school basketball finals. At the same time, the 2014 San Antonio Spurs defeat the Miami Heat in five games to earn the organization's fifth championship. As a first round exit in the 2015 playoffs puts Buford in a similar situation to the one the organization faced in 2008, Phuong secures a chance to "try out" for the NBA's officiating program by participating in developmental camps and refereeing the 2015 NBA Summer League. Just after the Spurs win the LaMarcus Aldridge sweepstakes, Phuong refs a clean Summer League championship game, where Becky Hammon coaches the Spurs' developing talent to victory.
>>
A man rides a train home. When he finally comes home, he kills himself.
>>
>>8024232
no opinions?
>>
I'm sorry to go off topic for a bit, but I REALLY struggle with scene writing. I'm talking third person, past tense, dialogue heavy writing. I can whip up some beautiful prose in the first or second person, but it all comes off as narrative writing; really more like journalism than fiction.

The problem is I want to write fiction. I want to do my fantasies justice.

Like right now I'm trying to write a scene where this young kid is being given all this food by Communist revolutionaries, and I honest to God can't make this sound natural or smooth.

It probably doesn't help that my actual profession is journalism, and all I've read lately has been NOT scene writing fiction (just plowing through Ficciones RN).

What do you guys struggle with? Do you have any tips?
>>
>>8025094
Yes. Almost down to the letter.
>>
>>8025020
Holy crap, I actually remember that episode. And Peter gets a seat at the UN right?
>>
>>8025401
Well, that's what I get for trying to make something normal, I guess. Back to writing overly experimental garbage.
>>
>>8025094
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._Peterbus_Unum
>>
>>8025421
Oh, that's not as close as I thought it was, actually, so, with a few adjustments, I should still be able to do it.
>>
>>8025020
>>8025094
>>8025401
I'm laughing really hard at the idea of somebody inventing a DeLilloesque parody of geopolitics, only to realize that he got the idea from watching Family Guy while stoned.
>>
>>8025367
Read more novels obiously? And why not try writing out your story as a report?
>>
>>8024625
>he lived his entire life for her
>but she doesn't deserve it
Is probably some of the most one dimensional, bitter lines you could write which don't get my hopes up for this portraying any conflict whatsoever and being more of a power fantasy.
>>
My idea so far:
A boy falls in love with a girl.
Unable to confess, he is gifted with by a deus ex machina with the girl’s phone number. Never minding the strange area code, he immediately calls her, and is overjoyed to find out that she has a crush on him as well.
But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day’s confessions to the girl, she only looks at him with a perplexed expression. After some investigation, he finds out that the girl he called is not the same girl he fell in love with. In fact, she doesn’t exist in this universe at all. She is the girl’s alternate universe counterpart, who has fallen in love with the MC’s own AU self, who too is blissfully unaware of her crush.
Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective loved ones,DRAMAensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question theNATUREofLOVE
>>
>>8025649
that's leaving aside he ditched his daughter, who seems as a non person whatsoever
>>
>>8024232
>>8024232
Sounds interesting enough, too neck-beardy too get published though
>>
>>8024232
homosexual
>>
something along the lines of late multinational capitalism but spread out across the stars churning toward and into its final collapse, brought about by a youth of nobility who becomes a technoscientific-transgender-smuggler-messiah.

This heralds not only the end of the age of man specifically among the stars, but also a galaxywide apocalypse of the undead that the former MC's companions- a displaced but miraculously not disaffected and naive strain of masculinity in his twelve year old friend/warrior Paul, Paul's one-armed and android companion Eighteen, the giant (sort of) and superpowered ubermensch man Loufer and his even more powerful daughter from the future Raditz, the MC's holy battle-sister sister Anome, the unexpected new prince of light who follows a trajectory into villain and then redemption and then villain again Super-Urizl, the plain girl from an unmodern planet whose bestowed w a sword from the future Yelly, the first sorceress in millenia to rediscover the practice of Conjuration, Illium, and her pupil, Yelly's sister's son's son Coco, the MC's first offplanet lover who dies earlier in the novel and then escapes from hell, the Spectre of Nihlus, and others- must face before an age of human, age of woman, or new age of man might begin among the stars.
>>
>>8023992
Haven't started it yet, but I have an idea for a short story: a 21 year old college student who never grew out of the imaginary friend phase in childhood. Other than being an adult who socializes with and makes accommodations for this imaginary person, he is totally normal and well-adjusted.

Would it make me a faggot if I narrated first person with the narrator as the imaginary friend?
>>
File: 0015-1275723205943.png (264 KB, 400x372) Image search: [Google]
0015-1275723205943.png
264 KB, 400x372
I never manage to find the right "age" for my characters.

25 is too close from my real self and I don't want them to be like me nor to self insert.
28 is still a bit childish
32-35 sounds right but I fear I couldn't understand them and write them correctly since I'm not that age yet.
40 is too old

70 is perfect for old men though
>>
It is told from the perspective of a young man or woman with no name. They operate the register of a small retail shop. One day, a teenager comes into the store, shoplifts something, and walks out, feeling no regret for his actions whatsoever. His justification for the crime being that "he wanted it then".

The next day a man enters the store, shoplifts something small, and walks out saying to himself that "they had so much of it, just one won't be missed".

The next day, a rough looking man walks into the store and steals something, and takes it home to give to his young child who he cannot afford to feed. Unlike the others, he feels guilty for his crime.

The next day, the cashier is confronted by their boss and asked to explain why they have lost inventory for the past three days. The boss eventually accuses the cashier of stealing while on the job and promptly fires them. The story ends with the cashier returning home to their own child, who they cannot afford to feed.
>>
>>8025674
Are you sure this isn't actually a screenplay for a movie starring Michael Cera?

>>8025068
I would definitely read this.

>>8024876
This gave me strong feels, but it seems a bit unoriginal.

>>8024056
This sounds REALLY cool if you can deliver.
>>
>>8025809
Not a bad idea, but the way you describe it makes it sound like a parable, not a short story.
>>
>>8025824
Yeah, I've never done anything like this before. I got the idea when I saw a jacket in my highschool's (Im 18) lost and found bin and was trying to justify taking it, so I wanted to write something exploring the concept of how we justify our actions in different ways, but they always end up hurting someone else in the end. I guess it does have an overall moral, but any advice on how to make it more story-like?
>>
A bonobo teleports to the Sun and dies within a fraction of a second. God? Cosmic randomness?
>>
>>8025840
Be careful with how you explain the justifications the each of the thieves make. Don't just say "the teenager took it because he wanted it then" because then you're pretty much forcing the philosophy down your readers throat without giving them any characters. Perhaps follow the teenager throughout his day, show the reader how his mind works and how he makes value judgements, and then have him steal the thing impulsively because he wanted then. I mean, you don't have to do that specifically, but, you know, show don't tell.

Also, strongly consider giving the cashier a name.
>>
>>8025844
post an excerpt please
>>
>>8025848
That's a very good piece of advice, thanks anon.

The point of them having no name was to emphasize the fact that they could be any one of us, but I guess the same effect could come with them having a common name like John. I can see how a name could make them more human too
>>
>>8024021

Only do this if there are only very vague hints being dropped throughout that culminate into a terrorist attack sponsored by ISIS
>>
>>8025028
Who pays you for that kind of stuff? I'm oddly good at writing stuff like that, and I'd like to make some money off of it.
>>
>>8025824
>The next day, the cashier is confronted by their boss and asked to explain why they have lost inventory for the past three days.
this is where it divorces from reality
things don't work this way

stores lose much more than three items a day and they build all that into their pricing there's no way the manager would bitch at a cashier over that (it's not even the cashier's business to do loss prevention, that's loss prevention's job really) let alone fire them over it, and have to pay severance or whatever. the real world move is to cut the worker's hours to practically nil in order to force them to quit and find another job.
>>
>>8025809
aww, the social security is such a bitch for writers, i mean how do we get the plots for our sentimental novels if the state gives people money to feed their children in the case if they can't afford it
>>
>>8025805
>28 is still a bit childish
>32-35 sounds right but I fear I couldn't understand them and write them correctly since I'm not that age yet.
>40 is too old

dat life, you have only 3 years of it between childish and too old :3
>>
File: 1462020012575[1].jpg (949 KB, 1098x1600) Image search: [Google]
1462020012575[1].jpg
949 KB, 1098x1600
>>8025028
does she grow loyal to her master who feeds and fucks her? (:
or she is reluctant and should be forced to be used by her intended purpose?
>>
>>8025851
seconding
>>
A quasi-private eye living in 1980's Paris. He's an American, employed by another expat, a Saul Goodman-tier lawyer (only this attorney is actually a Jew.) The man works a variety of jobs for the aging lawyer - strongarming witnesses/unwanted elements, shakedowns, etc.

The man gets into a situation where he has to run for his (and somebody else's) life - a journey that takes him from Paris to a small town near Zurich, during the summer of 1986.
>>
>>8023992
Just some fucking sci-fi shit not even I care about. Still trying to figure out how to make it good, which is as easy as trying to solve a fucking rubiks cube.
>>
File: 1390462144219.png (65 KB, 211x202) Image search: [Google]
1390462144219.png
65 KB, 211x202
>>8024021

I'm going to write a story called "The Rape of the Lock" about a German locksmith who comes face to face with Contemporary muslim culture while looking for her friends on New Years Eve.
>>
>>8023992
Basically kind of like rum diary with touch of john le carre
>>
>>8024021
So is it going to be the kind of book the SJWs hate and want to ban or the kind they all circle jerk over while you pile in the cash?

It could be really good or really bad.
>>
>>8026003
The deciding factor will be the race, religion, gender, sexuality, and national origin of the author.
>>
>>8024021
unless you're a syrian refugee, this will be trash. why you say? surely you need not authentic experience to write a good novel, right?

well, right.

but a syrian refugee (or two) will probably write this. maybe as a memoir, maybe as fiction. either way, it will for sure be written by some ahmed while your work will be overlooked.

be original anon
>>
>>8024231
sounds like something a mediocre mfa professor would write as his sole claim to authership
>>
>>8024440
isn't that essentially michel houellebecq oeuvre ?

he's so good at it he doesn't even have to explicitly associate himself to the 'nu-right'.
>>
An unemployed philosophy major who wants to sex his autistic step-sister. It will largely expand on the theme of the power relations within altruism, and its underlying perversity.
>>
A man who lives with his talking dog and appliances, is visited by a man who offers him an escape from life's hardships. He falls for the temptation of an easy life and is destroyed by it as he becomes a very basic organism and his pursuit of higher thinking and imagination are dissolved.
>>
>>8024876
sounds like something zach braff would want to adapt into a movie. protag needs some cbt
>>
>>8025096
so a buzzfeed article?
>>
>>8025221
would be better and more original if he does on a mass shooting.

but i bet you don't have the balls to write that
>>
>>8025257
only original idea in this thread.

what's your novel about?
>>
>>8025674
sounds like one of those shitty animes
>>
>>8024876
Murakami
>>
>>8025990
that NYE story was heavily exaggerated you know
>>
>>8025864
name or no name won't matter as long as you make it work - there are no absolutes
>>
>>8025875
what the fuck makes you think he's trying to write some pedantic realistic novel about the intricacies of loss prevention in retail ? you autisitc faggot
>>
>>8025940
i think you would like patrick modiano
>>
File: jyst.png (3 MB, 1541x2368) Image search: [Google]
jyst.png
3 MB, 1541x2368
>>8024085
>jyst
>>
>>8026155
Are you kidding? If anything, it was played down. German media outlets didn't report on it for days after the attack, and the online BBC news report didn't mention that the perpetrators were migrants until videos from the mass molestation started going viral.
>>
I'm dabbling in writing a non-fiction on some /x/ tier materials, due to the lack of information surrounding the topic.

>>8026098
Sounds like half of /lit/
>>
>>8025990
with muslim migrants being perceived as sprites, i hope
>>
>>8026211
>German media outlets didn't report on it for days after the attack

exactly. people didn't start reporting it because it hadn't become a thing yet. If you get something going viral you will get more people saying they experienced something similar
>>
A group of New York socialites is trapped in a penthouse ballroom during the worst snowstorm in American history.

It's basically American Psycho meets Lord of the Flies. I've been writing it for about 6 months. It's shit.
>>
>>8026278
That sounds so fucking terrible. Please, please, please post an excerpt.
>>
>>8026278

>It's basically American Psycho meets Lord of the Flies

what about 'cannibalism in the cars'
>>
>>8023992

I've just started a new one. It's about an obscure cult that existed in British Columbia in the mid 1980s. The practices of this cult are a representation of the internet and the effect that it has on people, except its going to be framed as something excellent, and the members were all very happy. It's going to be told in a series of interviews with the members that take place in 2010, Im picturing a True Detective type device.
>>
>>8026391
are you using data ? or are you just navel gazing?

re: effect of internet on people
>>
>>8026278
so High Rise basically ?
>>
>>8026664
something like heaven's gate, i suppose

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven%27s_Gate_(religious_group)
>>
A young man is the last person on earth after his mother dies. He finds a lot of spooky shit.
>>
>>8023992
A new copyright law maket is so works enter public acess when and only when their author is dead. As the result, any signing up for a recording company requires you to agree to life support, payed by the company, once you start leaving this world. Main character is a woman who negotiates with an old, once popular musician whose religion considers it sinful to defy or fear natural death.
>>
>>8026676
no, i was asking about your thesis. how are you going about determining the effect the internet has on people? anecdotal evidence? studies?
>>
>>8025020
>mfw Petoria invades the USA by annexing Joe's swimming pool and inviting all American enemy dictators to a party
>>
It's about myself, it's not an autobiography oh no but my own take on life and what is good/bad about it. Call me stupid if you will but it just might be good
>>
>>8023992
It's a science fiction short story about a far off future, in which a female debt collector skiptraces a debtor that's a corporation in order to acquire assets of the corporation's of equal value to that which they owe.

She finds out that the corporation's animal meat farms are actually just a fraction of the meat they produce, and in fact most of the meat is from people shipped in from various places to be turned into meat, due to animals being quite rare and valuable because Earth is out of humanity's sphere of influence

In the end she has to decide to allow the corporation to continue in order to pay her debts and to get a permanent paycheck for the rest of her existence, even extended life, or to turn them in and forfeit it all

It doesn't tell you which one she does, and her attitude and behavior could reflect her doing either/or
>>
>>8024368
Been there done that. But not in a literary term.
>>
>>8023992
I'm working on a series of science fiction, fantasy Alternate history novels.

The first part of the novel will deal with a Special task force agent in dealing with psychic from the Stargate Program (Successor of the Stargate Project) Who have gone rogue.

The second part will deal with a Russian teenager who is living in a closed city undergoing Russia's own psychic Program called PSYNET for free college and housing, with the realization he might not survive to process.

The third Part will deal with a Paranormal Investigator in Africa, trying to find answers on why African Villages are being destroyed, with the creeping realization he is being watched from afar
>>
>>8023992
Life in a sex cult. I'm writing it to mirror the Book of Job somewhat. It have allusions to other works as well.
>>
>>8026783
any book is primarily about the author
>>
>>8026807
I see, should i go through with it then?
>>
Johhny Craig is a hedonistic, gluttonous, wholly-immoral sycophant. After a very thematically-deep few hundred pages of exposition on his orgy, he dies of a heart attack. The actual book starts seven years later, as his twelve children of different mothers and countries are the POV characters and seek each other out. One of their names is Danny.
>>
>>8023992

a man goes to bed and wakes up as a beetle

dumb idea i know
>>
>>8026123
It's more literary/thematic/symbolic and less plotty so I'm probably better off explaining that stuff than talking up the plot (because the plot isn't some big twisty turny page-turner of a premise). The plot is just a love triangle/cuck triangle/power triumvirate starring Phuc Stevenson (a 24-year-old postman from Mansfield (a suburb of Dallas)), Wynn Hernandez (a 17-year-old college freshman), and Thuy Johnston (Wynn's 24-year-old creative writing TA and scandalous lover). It sounds boring when you just put the plot out there, but it's the kind of book where the themes and style matter a whole lot more than the events (but the events do get sorta juicy toward the end).
>>
>>8023992
Dude inherits an empire of drugs and prostitution and now has to deal with a shit ton of people either trying to kill him or get something from him.

Its looks like action/ dark comedy but its actually a satire on vice, morals and power.

Also, there is a lot of sex and murder.
>>
>>8026891
You know if you work on it could see a decent fic for a 2$$ pulp mag.
>>
Mine starts out as a typical "King Arthur and the quest for the holy grail" tripe but he and his party accidentally end up in the 'the real world' and must come to terms with the fact that they never really existed.
Sounds kinda shit when describing it, but I hope it ends up somewhat enjoyable for readers.
>>
Man faces his rival as he and hundreds of others race westward in search of Heaven.
>>
>>8026986
>they adapt to real life and one finds the book based on their adventures and they either have a mental breakdown or find the author.
>>
>>8026993
Intriguing
>>
Five people awake in a room. There are three doors that all lead to really spooky shit. Some events happen. Dicks.
>>
>>8026993
Yikes.
>>
>>8026986
Author here. Thinking of making it so Merlin knew the whole time and never told any of them. Would that be too much?
>>
>>8023992

I'm making a game where the user is trapped in a forest talking to dead masks of various writers/philosophers.
It's called "all my dead friends"
>>
>>8025416
Just because the idea is similar to something else it doesn't mean the execution of the idea can't be original. Family Guy plays it in an over-the-top, ridiculous way for yucks, which culminates in his house being blockaded by the army. You could play it straight, reveal it as the method by which the father is dealing with some deep-seated issue or trauma. You can still have laughs, but do it with pathos (something McFarlane has never grasped).
>>
>>8025844

is this like shitty Borges?
Reminds me of his parable "Inferno, I, 32"
>>
>>8025874
You have to know people, and do a lot of free writing in the community before people pay up. But once you've got that rep, you can rake it in. Hell, I've got a Patreon now, and people pay me $90 a month just to put out ~8000 words of 'free' writing a month. With my commissions I can almost make a living.
>>
>>8026746
me?

>>8026792

joseph d'lacey, 'meat'

a shit btw
>>
>>8027021
netanyahu beat you
>>
It's a post-apocalyptic novel set in a destroyed feudal civilization. It stars a western outlaw archetype escaping from the law after the attempted murder of his wife. He finds a job working for a farm with a teenager and his uncle. The teenager due to being naturally rebellious and the poor decisions made by them, hates the nobles. Because of this, his uncle hides his noblehood from him, leading to confrontation and them retiring from the farm. After they both leave the protag has already formed a connection with the farm as it gives him purpose, and it ends with him making a sale to his Ex-wife.

yeah its not great
>>
>>8027028
True. The whole purpose of the father's "rebellion" is just to satirize the way people try to fight against fate and whatnot, which, I think, gives it enough meat to stand on its own.
>>
An ageless man crash lands onto a new world, though it's populated by humans who worship their Sun and Two Moons. Over the course of his centuries long journey across the continent, he slowly loses grip on himself and starts to think he's an Avatar of the Sun.
>>
>>8027019
are you using demon merlin, wizard merlin, or demi-god merlin
>>
>>8027043
The meat thing isn't so much of the focus as much as it just being an adventure story about what amounts to a professional thief/lawyer hybrid in a futuristic setting, the meat thing was placed there as more of a reference for later stories about why certain characters are vegetarians
>>
>>8024021
Great concept for comedy
>>8024032
Gaiman/10
>>8024056
Love it! Sickest shit ever
>>8024138
Could be good
>>8024158
Just no
>>8024206
Fucking cringe
>>8024231
Short story
>>8024232
Awesome
>>8024440
Great advice. I would still make it a comedy though
>>8024697
Metal gear/10
>>8024752
Terrible
>>8024771
No no no
>>8024774
Why?
>>8024850
Fuck off back to r3ddit
>>8024876
Short story
>>8025028
Lol
>>8025068
No
>>8025086
Boring
>>
I'm writing a book called G.I.R.L. that's about how and why men act like women online and the naked social slavery of men in service to everyone but themselves, and how women, sex, and material objects are used as incentives to motivate men to do what other people want, and how society is so finely attuned to this that men who reject it are rejected from society entirely with no alternative
>>
>>8027282
I'm somewhat impressed. I would also venture a guess that you are familiar with Esther Vilar's work?
>>
>>8026119
He talks about it but just to mess with the heads of people that had done him wrong.
The character isn't actually psychotic or psychopathic, but has some minor sociopathic verbal tendencies due to a traumatic past.
>>
Both short stories. One is about dwarves being barbaric savages and the other is about a WW1 veteran and his company being sent to control a situation that no one fully grasps.

I want to present the latter as a legitimate sort of thing with nothing a standard book or novella has, but instead literally like a file that the US government would have on record. It's just a bunch of reports, notes, a few journal entries, and letters from aforementioned soldier.

I doubt it'll ever get published but I would like to see it kept in my style and my design for it. I thought about getting it printed up like I wanted and then making a website for it and taking pictures of the documents. Failing the website I'll probably just post about it on /x/ and share it with them.
>>
>>8026111
>>8026146
Are these negatives? I did read a lot of Murakami during hs but I'm not aiming for his style or plots.
>>
>>8027282

desu it sounds as some r9k shit

>why men act like women online

not very common (playing a female character in a mmo doesn't mean acting like a woman btw, most of people do it simply because they are image driven and playing a girl character allows them to watch their character as much as they want, their character is just an eye candy to them, girls play male characters for the same reason too but it's less common both because they play mmos much less and because they are less image driven overall)... but when it's done it's usually done for attention because, suddenly, there are less girls on the internet than guys. those people usually don't do it on woman's forums where women discuss everyday life, their children etc because it wouldn't get them any attention there, nope, they do it where girls are scarce; the second most common case it's done as a kind of roleplay

>men who reject it are rejected from society entirely with no alternative

now, that's a complete bs

it's vice versa, if people are rejected from society they are rejected by women too, but having no respect to women doesn't hurt people (unless they do creepy things), it actually can help them to manipulate women
>>
>>8027309
Nope, I'm just a dude who's pretended to be a woman online for years and have been at the bottom of society, and feel resentful now that I'm doing much better, I'm not sure why but I feel I must write about it
>>
File: 1443638869194.jpg (91 KB, 1464x979) Image search: [Google]
1443638869194.jpg
91 KB, 1464x979
>>8025153
would read

>>8025270
would read

>>8025809
im a retail cashier, would read

>>8024231
would read
>>
>>8025180
>Neil Gaiman did it

Ah, but he's a shitty author
>>
>>8024085
>she just escaped a war torn country

... and passed through 8 countries that weren't at war? Fuck off, libshill
>>
>>8027411
no good author can have 'gayman' as his second name
>>
an amnesiac hunter is in the middle of a weeks long rainstorm on an island forest. one afternoon while searching for food he finds a fresh, partially eaten corpse of a bear, killed by a mysterious antlered figure who disappears in a flash of lightning. he takes what he can carry back to his cabin and makes a bear/mushroom/wild rice soup and fries up the rest with wild asparagus, snacking on blueberries throughout. he later discovers he was struck by lightning during an occult ritual, causing him to lose his memory when another survivor shows up at the door (either that or he is witness to the ritual that made him lose his memory) when the rain ends and sees the lichtenberg figure on his back.
>>
>>8027339
what i mean by that it seemed like something zach braff would adapt is that the idea is immature and something you will be embarrassed to have thought of by the time your 30 (hopefully before). it's woe is me bullshit that every 20-something goes through at some point. honestly, your protag needs to grow up and move on. the world didn't end when college did and i'm not sure why sympathy is expected toward the misconceived notion that it did.

this would make a better quirky indie movie with michael cera directed by noah baumbach.

also, i didn't want to lead with this, but essentially you've written the synopsis for sensitive white guy problems.

oh and the murakami similarity is, i'm assuming, bc you steal a lot of plot points from norwegian wood; friend dying, reconnecting with old friends, the past being gone, girl throwing herself at you, etc etc.
>>
>>8023992
A strange fantasy story that I have no idea what its about desu

Its about a type of detective who's also a cyborg in a domed city who is executed and wakes up outside and the domed city is nowhere to be seen and lives in a dark fantasy world where there are demons that hide among humans and eat them and he joins a party that hunts them and has frequent casual sex with a woman who is missing one of her eyes that's the 2nd in command of the group

But somewhere along the way he finds out the commander was a demon using the group to eliminate other demons and the 2nd in command was a succubus demon who was feeding off of his seed, but she actually loved him and used her blood to resurrect him (remember, hes a fucking cyborg from robocopland)

And the end is him somehow finding the domed city which is being invaded by demons and he kills the commander and takes his eye, which was the eye of the succubus chick

And he is able to see rifts in the sky and passes through them into some outer plane where he is led for thousands of years by a song across endless plains of wood until he reaches a wall and realizes its a giant tree

And he becomes like a cultist that worships and listens endlessly to the song and somehow comes to the conclusion that he has one chance to stop the thing that caused him to be executed that ruined his entire existence, he can undertake it at any time, but he only has one chance

So he takes a sword (yeah, forgot to mention that, it was there since he was resurrected) which eats souls and feeds them to him for strength and the eye which was used by the commander to see the auras of demons, turns out it just can see different types of souls

So he goes into different branches of the tree and finds the most powerful souls and devours them until he becomes a complete monster that eats without remember what he was doing it for, then actually goes into his only chance, the last branch he was saving to prevent the thing that caused his execution, and ends up doing what happened to himself

Then he realizes he cannot speak, because demons cannot speak, and he has become one

Then he is killed...by his other self

And finally he has to go into a weird surreal realm in the center of the tree where people only speak in latin root words, and somehow stop whatever it is that caused a first incident

Which turns out to be an unimaginably large cosmic parasite that came from space beyond space and is eating the giant tree from its center

Which is being held up by a dead god, who can only hold it up until someone sees that he is dead, but he is also been reborn while he is dead, because time continues outside of the center even though the center remains still, and he is alive and dead at the same time, and reborn as a priest that accompanies the protag and speaks for him now that he cannot speak

Honestly I don't have a fucking clue what this is about, shit's nuts man
>>
File: IMG_3818.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3818.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
A 20 year old girl breaks up with her boyfriend of 4 years and mopes about Fort Worth, TX in the winter of 2014
>>
>>8027479
>Its about a type of detective who's also a cyborg in a domed city

isaac asimov, the caves of steel
>>
>>8027495
Actually its more like Cloud City from Star Wars, high in the sky on some planet (its set in the space age) on some kind of tall slender white metal pole (kind of like corrin's tower from DBZ)

But the dark fantasy realm and the robocopland exist in different planes of reality so the pole and city cannot be seen from the ground, and the ground of the city is not the same ground as the fantasyland

It's pretty damn nonsensical and weird
>>
File: 1457911503833.jpg (51 KB, 514x536) Image search: [Google]
1457911503833.jpg
51 KB, 514x536
A space opera with bsdm/non con elements
>>
File: 1432059132938.jpg (79 KB, 500x461) Image search: [Google]
1432059132938.jpg
79 KB, 500x461
>>8025844
it's 1:25AM and I am laughing so hard at this post
>>
>>8027494
why should anyone read this?

i mean you know how completely unoriginal the thought is, right ?
>>
>>8027549
I'm not that guy but most great books are great because of the themes and the writing and not just the dust jacket premise. How boring does The Sun Also Rises sound when you read it in three sentences?
>>
>>8023992
A weird double story in the same setting

The setting is the internet translated into a physical setting, where no one seems to have a grasp of there being any other realm but what they exist in, the world itself being surreal and illogical, like a set of interconnected hallways/rooms that goes on and on forever, or a purgatory of some kind, with some areas being well kempt and nice, but vast stretches of endless hallways and entire continent sized rooms of just junk data spewn about everywhere

One of the stories is about a protagonist that lives in one of the "nice" parts, where its almost indistinguishable from a fantasy story, but slowly through "magic" and study they see how the "universe" functions, and they can bend the laws of reality, and finds that theirs is not the only

The other is a story that happens during it, in which a small piece of data spends thousands of years absorbing other bits of data and becoming sentient enough to have a survival instinct, taking the shape of a young boy in a baseball cap, and somehow comes across a blind girl who is actually a human from "outside"

The two are pursued by another piece of data that is much larger than the boy, absorbing entire "worlds" as it goes and assimilating them into itself, using them as traps so that other data wanders in and becomes part of it, and for some reason it pursues the blind girl relentlessly

The blind girl talks but the boy cannot talk back at all for some reason

I don't know where its going but I'm just kind of going seat-of-the-pants at this point
>>
File: 1448127417687.jpg (44 KB, 500x674) Image search: [Google]
1448127417687.jpg
44 KB, 500x674
>>8027549
I don't give a shit if anyone reads it I'm writing it because I want to write it
>>
File: 1437883556767.jpg (33 KB, 485x409) Image search: [Google]
1437883556767.jpg
33 KB, 485x409
>>8027556
I hope you keep /lit/ updated on this cos I'd like to read it
>>
A few years ago I was quite involved in drugs and the underground culture around it so I'm writing a book about stories from that time. It's not anything no one has read before but I remember the situations so vividly that writing about it gives me a kind of nostalgia
>>
>>8027494
>>8027549

I would read it.

It sounds like something Lydia Davis would write.
>>
>>8027579
Really? I thought /lit/ would roll eyes at "blind girl protected by android boy in baseball cap within the internet"
>>
>>8026239

The protagonist will be based on a more vile version of myself, so yeah.
>>
I want to adapt The Legacy of Totalitarianism in a Tundra Presents: Kolsti's Adventures in the Everglades for some sort of visual medium, either screen or stage or comic book. I've plotted out two stories worth of material and I've adapted three pages of it into a short play for my playwriting class. I've greatly expanded the story and the characters since there wasn't much to work with other than the general idea that Kolsti is a teenage detective/spy prodigy who investigates a reptilian conspiracy that involves literary figures with the help of two pulpy detectives. In TLOTIAT:KAITE he only ever raps once, but I took that and turned it into his superpower, where he can defeat enemies using freestyle rap. So from that I decided that a natural sidekick would be an energetic DJ girl who makes beats for Kolsti to flow over and kill reptiles. Then I planned out some villains and side characters and weapons and fight scenes (including a couple that are especially neato). All I need is an artist that can help me with my vision since I can't draw and I don't have the resources to film it. I'll probably find a collab friend to do the art and I'll just put it out as a webcomic and then film it later in life.
>>
>>8027619
goddammit Kolsti fuck off dude nobody likes you. your girlfriend is fat and her mouth looks like some wallace & grommet shit
>>
>>8027628
added to cover blurb
>>
>>8023992
Nothing, because I can't actually commit to writing anything. Not writers block, but just can't get myself to sit down and do it.

Send help
>>
>>8027658
I suffer from the same thing, I think its because I don't have any force that holds me accountable, I've thought for a long time finding a writing buddy would help a lot, because it'd make it more of a part of my life
>>
>>8027564
i figured that would be your response but decided to give you the benefit of the doubt. guess i was wrong.

>>8027554
for every hemingway there's a hundred dull ass mfa professors who never wrote anything worth the paper they were written on. exceptions are not the rule.

with the response that anon gave, i doubt they have much of the theme even figured out.

>>8027594
lydia davis being the perfect example of mediocrity, though i'm sure davis would not write from the perspective of a self-absorbed 20 year old believing her break up is of particular significance.
>>
>>8027564
also, if you actually want to perhaps work on your writing and better it, you might want to actually question you're writing.

if you just want to blog though and spill your heart out, i recommend tumblr. truman capote said it best - that's not writing, that's typing.
>>
>>8027658
submit to contests, at least aim to. deadlines help
>>
>>8024242
It should be Sam who has the vision and builds the machine. Chuck misses out because he wasnt at the hippie party with the vision drugs. sam doesnt understand the machine though, he needs Chuck to use it. More tension. Chuck jealous, Sam insecure later because he needs Chuck
>>
File: 1449416511218.jpg (870 KB, 2788x3550) Image search: [Google]
1449416511218.jpg
870 KB, 2788x3550
>>8027696
>though i'm sure davis would not write from the perspective of a self-absorbed 20 year old believing her break up is of particular significance.

i read somewhere, and cannot for the life of me recall exactly where, that genius shows itself by recognizing facts that most people pass over ignorantly. Maybe you don't know everything.

> you might want to actually question you're writing.
Don Delilo said he wrote his first book because writing was the cheapest entertainment he has access to.
>>
>>8027799
I know I don't know everything. I also know don delillos first novel sucked and he paid $60 a month for rent while working as an ad man. Your anecdote just proves don delillos a cheap fuck apparently, or a liar. Americana was directly influenced by French new wave cinema. Dude was a cinephile living in manhattan, had plenty of entertainment. Delude yourself into comparing your process to his if you want though, fuck if I care.
>>
>>8027696

>self-absorbed 20 year old believing her break up is of particular significance.

It's of significance to her, you emotionless sperg
>>
a short story about a 14 year old honor student and a 25 year old loser try to survive post nuclear society.

Garbage concept that will probably be written in a garbage way but that's the only way I'll ever get better
>>
Can someone give me some feed back for the first paragraph of my novel? Cheers.

Prudence, the Fucking Little Cunt that Nobody Liked

People often talk about how much they fucking hate that little cunt Prudence. Fuck she is annoying. Like, seriously, no one likes her. I don’t like her. She fucking sucks dick both literally and metaphorically. Fucking hell, I cannot stress enough to you how much of a gigantic puddle of a spastic’s sperm she is. This one time, when we were all sitting in class, she just walked in and we’re all like, “Fuck. Dammit. Go away Prudence.” Like, I seriously hope she gets raped. She probably won’t because she has a butt for a face with pimples on it. And she literally has shit dripping from her face because of the gaping butthole in the centre. Prudence is like that used condom you see on the side of the road that makes you cringe when you look at it because of how slimy and sticky it looks. And you know why it’s slimy and sticky because some dude put his dick in it and jizzed everywhere. Prudence is like opening the door to your wardrobe and seeing a massive pile of shit covering your favourite jackets, and you know you can never wear those jackets again because they’re just gonna smell like shit forever and the whole situation fucking sucks. Fuck Prudence. Dammit.
>>
>>8027891
I would probably read it.
>>
>>8023992
It's about a man in love with a yandere spider.

It's not a monstergirl thing, I swear.
>>
File: 1462945147097.jpg (75 KB, 1356x651) Image search: [Google]
1462945147097.jpg
75 KB, 1356x651
the true history of earth and mars.
>>
>>8025270
Would be interesting if done right, like what he would talk about on the ride home and what he'd do
>>
>>8026993
> Find the author
Are you seriously THAT fucking dumb?
Also they couldn't even comprehend modern french so they wouldn't even be able to read it.
>>8026986
> never really existed
But they did exist, not in that specific way, but they did in someway. Yvain was based on a story tossed around during the crusades, Arthur was a mercenary lord...
>>
>>8023992
Humankind colonising an habitable planet by killing everything that wants to prevent them from.

Basically Independence day where we're the aliens.
>>
A calligrapher is on a long drive without destination. On the way he meets various people, some of who decide to tag along with him. The calligrapher saves a man from suicide. The calligraphers wife back at home struggles with depression and commits suicide. The stories of the man saved and the woman not are deeply interlinked. Meanwhile, two pseudo-intellectuals are followed in 3rd person, discussing various topics and questions that arise on the calligraphers journey.
>>
A shy but thoughtful young boy, stuck in the suburbs, dreams of adventure. When his parents go on their first vacation, he decides to catch the train to go to the city for the first time. At the station he meets a girl who agrees to be his guide. The city, and the train to the city, are filled with fantasy elements, unlike the mundane suburban world. The conductor is a giant spider in a uniform. The size and layout of the city seem to be in constant flux.

The boy skips school each day to explore the city with the girl. They find a bunch of safe spots that remain fixed in comparison with the rest of the city. Also, a man in grey overalls appears to be stalking them, but he something in the safe spots ward him away and he never catches them.

One day, after an argument, the girl storms off. The boy, fearing she's been captured by the man in overalls, teams up with a homeless skeleton to find and rescue her.
>>
Also; a spy explores a world mixed with his past, encountering old friends that died a long time ago, and pursuing a mission that he ultimately realises is designed to kill him.

But that's not even trying to be literary. I'm literally going to run a quest based on it.
>>8028029
You better have something else going on in it.
>>
>>8028045
how is it important that he is a calligrapher and not a bank clerk or plumber
>>
>>8028080
Symbolism, dude.
>>
>>8028085
i don't see any symbolism but see a superfluous and pretentious detail about some non-existing profession
>>
>>8028098
You just don't get it. You have to have symbolism in your literature. That's what makes it Art.

Maybe you should try /tg/? They can do the sort of novel's you're used to pretty well.
>>
File: 1461790525649.png (232 KB, 480x372) Image search: [Google]
1461790525649.png
232 KB, 480x372
I have three going currently

>Short Story
Set in 1840s France, it deals with a man whose "social career" in Paris is ruined when he is cuckolded by his fiancée. He becomes a clerk in Marseilles, and takes up the bottle and hashish, while penning amateur and cringeworthy poetry. One night in his drunken escapades, he comes across an old man who still walks about in his old Hussar uniform of the Grand Armée. This launches a frame story of the Hussar recounting the defeat of his regiment at the Battle of Salamanca and the accusation of his desertion.
The cuck finds the Hussar's story so pathetic that he decides to stop wallowing in self-pity. It's a critique of Gothic tragedy and the morale is get the fuck over it

>Novel
A tragi-comic picaresque style novels about the adventures of an Italian Master-of-Disguise (joke intended) who pursues his beloved Contessa Bellagia around Renaissance Europe and the Middle East under various assumed names and disguises. Central theme is the nature of identity.

>Fantasy Novel
A tropical city-state is wracked by a mysterious plague without origin or cure for the duration of exactly one year. The novel follows 4 characters who are trapped in the doomed city. Examines man vs. an indifferent nature, death, the nature of the "city", and free will vs. determinism
>>
>>8028102
>>8028085
What does it symbolize?
>>
>>8027107

not that guy, but who gives a shit if its like family guy. hell it would probably be an interesting piece of trivia or whatever. nothing wrong with taking inspiration from common pleasures
>>
>>8028118
>a man whose "social career" in Paris is ruined when he is cuckolded by his fiancée

i believe that in 1840ss it would rather ruin her perspectives to find a decent marriage
>>
>>8028128
They both get her shit fucked up. Her father is a wealthy man of society and covers the whole ordeal up by saying she had taken ill and sent her to live with her aunt. He threatens to blackmail the protagonist and tells him to get as far away from Paris as possible. So he goes to work as a clerk in Marseilles. He could try to challenge it, but it probably wouldn't do him any good since the dad is a well respected man and the protag is just some low-tier basic bitch
>>
>>8028134
Blackmail him with what?
>>
>>8028140
There isn't really a "what", the guy is a well-respected, decorated veteran of minor nobility. The only reason the protag even was in this situation was due to the daughter's admiration of him as some kind of "Young Werther" who wrote poetry, which the father hesitantly accepted.

So the "what" of the blackmail isn't really that important, he could basically say anything and his claims wouldn't really be held up to scrutiny
>>
>>8028118
>A tropical city-state is wracked by a mysterious plague without origin or cure for the duration of exactly one year. The novel follows 4 characters who are trapped in the doomed city. Examines man vs. an indifferent nature, death, the nature of the "city", and free will vs. determinism
Why not just set it in Florence?
>>
File: 1459830371454.jpg (357 KB, 599x830) Image search: [Google]
1459830371454.jpg
357 KB, 599x830
>>8028153
I mean I guess I could find a historical analogue, but meh.

But the main plotline is about the city's mercenary army starting a coup d'etat to seize power.

They all end up succumbing to the Plague as well. People will do anything, even if it's empty and pointless, if only to feel alive.

Each POV has their own subarcs as well which tie into the main plot but have their own conclusions.
>>
>>8028164
The least you should do is read Decameron's introduction, if you haven't already.
>>
>>8028045
I'm with the other anon on this. Why a calligrapher and what does it symbolize?
>>
>>8028165
Will do anon, thnx
>>
>>8028118
Would read 2
>>8028068
Would read depending on quality of writing
>>8027334
WWI file sounds interesting
>>8027282
I like the IRL play
>>
>>8027873
Sorry to break it to you but just because something felt significant to you in your life does not mean it will equate to good literature. Especially something as played out as a break up. When did /lit/ become full of sensitive wankers? Have some standards, be open to criticism, accept that you most likely have nothing worth writing about - then write.
>>
>>8027471
I appreciate the honesty anon. In truth I haven't read Norwegian Wood but I understand the parallels between the whiny white boy movies and the plot completely. What you said about the protag needing to grow up is an important part of the story because the characters don't feel sorry for him and hopefully the reader won't either. It's about how he was unable to move on after college and how meeting with his friends again destroys this facade of being content about his shitty life. I'm clearly no writer and this would be the second short story I've written, but I wanted to toy with the feeling of being left behind by one's peers no matter how cliche it might be in some circles.
>>
File: Cascais.jpg (4 MB, 2381x1588) Image search: [Google]
Cascais.jpg
4 MB, 2381x1588
I have three ideas for short stories and I'm writing all of them at the same time, even though there is one that I'm focusing the most.
1) Is a novel that's about a world where everyone has superpowers and there's monsters, mysterious artifacts. The Twist is..., the setting is urban fantasy and it's mostly focused on the society side of things, like what would the education be like on world like this, how would it's law enforcement works. Basically, imagine The Wire in an urban fantasy world.
2) It's the one I'm focusing the most, it's a novel that takes place in my hometown(pic related), and it's basically and "epic", that will tackle themes such as the differences between generations, the divine/magic, Art and Enterntainment. It's the one I've worked by far the most having already 300+ pages.
3) A Novel called the "Fire", whose topic is to tell the story of America's 20th Century, using the prespective of various emmigrant families(Russian, Jewish, Azorean(Portuguese),etc...) and from the point of view of an American Family.
>>
>>8028068
studio ghibli in /lit/ form? sign me up
>>
Two gifted students (a streetwise, idealistic slacker and a disillusioned art prodigy with billionaire daddy) fall for each other but choose to pursue their ambitions over a future together. Hilarity, drama and moral dilemmas ensue.

The story is told from the perspective of the idealistic slacker guy, a cynic tripple agent who is in for the lulz, naive fugitive looking for her identity, forsaken prince trying to avenge his family, and two others. It's mainly an adventure with witty bantz, politics, explosions and badly written sex scenes in-between.

I am going to merge themes and characterisation from literally fiction with accessibility of YA (language, pacing) or at least die trying.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.