[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You guys have anyones autograph? Found this the other day.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7
File: ike.jpg (58 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
ike.jpg
58 KB, 720x960
You guys have anyones autograph?

Found this the other day.
>>
my brother gave me a signed copy of taipei for my 19th birthday
>>
I've a signed first edition of Rushdie's 'the Satanic Verses'
>>
There's an autographed copy of V. at my half priced books here in town. Only $5000.
>>
I recently picked up some of Natalie Zemon Davis' personal books (she was giving them away, or someone else had them and was), with her name written on the inside. Kind of neat.
>>
I have a signed copy of Carpenter's Gothic, first edition.
>>
>>8023126
If this isn't bait, that's likely fake.
>>
>>8023106
I habe two autographed books by Frank Zane.
>>
>>8023282
Next time I'm there I'll take a picture.
>>
>>8023126
So it’s actually worth $1000? Buy it and sell it on ebay, anon.
>>
>>8023397
They're selling it for $5000. Talked to the lady there about it. She said it'll never sell at the price and might actually lower it. It's a first edition V. If I had the money I would totally get it and resell it right away. I just looked up some of Pynchon's autographed books. I might just take out a loan and grab it.
>>
Found a signed copy of The Island of the Day Before at a used bookstore. Was neat.
>>
I have a copy of 'Nietzsche's styles' by Derrida signed by Herbert Dreyfus.
>>
I have a signed Franklin Library edition of Confessions of Nat Turner by William Styron that I found in a used store for dirt cheap.

Have a few signed and number editions from Centipede Press as well.
>>
I have a bunch of signed limited editions, so yeah. Not too many books that I've had signed in person, though.

>>8023512
Centipede bro!
>>
A few months ago I was thinking how stupid it was that we attribute value to someone simply signing their name.
>>
>>8023756
I was thinking how stupid it is that we value opinions posted on a Dan Brown fan fiction japanese image board.
>>
that nihil
>>
>>8023126
>>8023397
>Half Price books
>priced at $5000
>you say it's actually worth $1000
Oh, that's right...
You studied literature.
Sorry
>>
>>8023112
what an asshole
>>
my dad has a signed first edition of infinite jest. he got it at his university. i fucking hate that book
>>
>>8023126
Where? I'll fucking buy that shit tomorrow!
>>
>>8023280
C-can I see it?
>>
>>8023116
Pics? My prof in university once said that he went to the bathroom and when he came back someone had stolen his copy of the Satanic Verses.
>>
>>8023987
kek, English majors BTFO
>>
File: book fair 1.jpg (16 KB, 410x547) Image search: [Google]
book fair 1.jpg
16 KB, 410x547
>>8023106
I didn't buy it; I suspected that fakery was afoot.
>>
Many signed Gene Wolfe books, a few Zelazny, Jack williamson, robert silverberg, connie willis, joe haldeman, r a lafferty, david zindell. All but zelazny, zindell, and lafferty in person, though some Wolfe sent me in the mail. A neil gaiman signature on his collaboration with Wolfe, but I don't care.
>>
File: jackvance.jpg (46 KB, 569x827) Image search: [Google]
jackvance.jpg
46 KB, 569x827
I collect Jack Vance so I have a bunch with his signature. Also some others based on either the author or the work. Meme Wolfe for one has a surprisingly elegant signature.
>>
>>8024707
Save appearance, everything about Gene is elegant (especially his number one fan. )
>>
>>8024707
I wish i had some vance signatures. When the integral vance (or whatever it is called) came out I couldn't afford it but I am kicking myself now.
>>
File: 2016-05-11_11.29.05.jpg (1 MB, 1732x2256) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-11_11.29.05.jpg
1 MB, 1732x2256
I have only two that are kinda cool
>>
I have a copy of Satantango signed by LĂ¡szlĂ³ Krasznahorkai and George Szirtes.
>>
>>8024685
Nice on the Lafferty and Zindell! Do you have the collected Lafferty? I missed getting in on that, damn.

>>8024713
I'm sure. Is that you, MA?

>>8024717
The Vance Integral Edition, yeah. I was in the same boat as you, but I was lucky enough to find a semi-affordable set about 18 months ago.
>>
File: 2016-05-11_11.39.25.jpg (638 KB, 1916x1111) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-11_11.39.25.jpg
638 KB, 1916x1111
>>8024719

2/2
>>
Any NYC types here?

Top floor of the Strand has some great signed first editions on display and for sale.
>>
>Want to get Brief History of Seven Killings signed
>James basically only does signings in India and Britain
>No tour planned
>Follow him on facebook to get info
>its basically sjw spewing

Well fuck him
>>
>>8024728
They are all three me, and yes, I am ma
>>
>>8024728
I have some of the Lafferty volumes ... I think the first 2. Havent decided if I want to continue or not.
>>
>>8024673
How can you fake a signed edition?
You fake a regular edition by signing it. But that book says it came already signed.
>>
>>8023282
>>8023453

Tell me where you live.
>>
>>8024789

I'm not a comedian or anything, so take this with a grain of salt, but I'm pretty sure that was the joke.
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 295x499) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 295x499
>>8023106
I've got a signed copy of Jimmy Buffett's novel because it was like $10 and why not. It's pretty much the undiscovered great American novel.
>>
>>8024784
Cool. Speaking of signatures, when Castalia comes out with the hard copy, any chance for it?
>>
>>8023106
I have a first edition of Beware of Pity by Stefan Zweig that bears his autograph. He signed it between 1939-1942 before he killed himself.
>>
>>8024865
I would be happy to sign it, but since production might be overseas it would need to be someone putting the book in front of me somehow, mail or whatnot.
>>
>>8024865
I can imagine lines three people long, maybe four if I can get my mom to stand in it, waiting for me to sign.
>>
My parent gave me a signed copy of A.L. Rowse's poems. I didn't know a thing about him but the first thing I found when I googled him was that "he was an overt even rather proud homosexual in a pre-Wolfenden age, fascinated by young policemen and sailors, obsessively speculating on the sexual proclivities of everyone he meets"
>>
>>8024976
I live where Castalia is based, so I expect it's easy for me to get a copy. I can post it to you, if you're OK with it. But I'll contact you through some other means (Westeros PM maybe) when it's topical
>>
>>8025224
Sounds good. I am easy to track down: facebook, the email I post on urth list from, etc. There is only one marc aramini in the world, though there are some marcos in Italy.
>>
>>8023106
Will Self
>>
>>8024792
>>8024604
Madison. Which is why I'm guessing no one gives a shit about it here. Madison is a bunch of hippy liberals who try and act smart but all they do withe their day is hulahoop and jerk off to bernie sanders pictures.
>>
I don't see the point of trying to get autographs. I think it's a false emblem of trying to feel somehow closer to the author
>>
>>8025600
Oh yes, Madison, the town/city which is present in basically every fucking state in America
>>
>>8025734
Based on my description I'm sure you can use your master sleuth skills to know that it's the capital of wisconsin.
>>
>>8024789
>>8024798
I was being sincere actually. In one of the few interviews he's done Mac said that he'd signed a bunch of copies and left them for his son, so the only possibility of their authenticity is that his son has already sold them, but I just can't fully believe that.
>>
I got a couple of books signed by Orson Scott Card when I was a sci-fi reading teenager.
>>
I have John Scalzi, Kip Thorne, and David Brin.
>>
Nick Flynn's.

What does /lit/ think of him?
>ind4 Paul Dano
>>
>>8025743
I, along with everyone outside of Wisconsin, don't think about fucking Wisconsin, so no, I couldn't use my "master sleuth skills" you useless cunt.
>>
>>8024768
I have my copy signed. He came through the US at the end of 2015, I wanna say December is when I saw him. Social media may be off-putting, but he's a really cool guy.

I also have a signed copy of Sounder I got as a birthday present when I was like 8.
>>8026662
Have fun missing out on one of the most beautiful states outside of the Rockies, faggot. 3/4 of the state is forest. Who the fuck doesn't like forests?
>>
>>8026662
Speak for yourself, kiddo. Californian here. You're kinda retarded if Wisconsin isn't the first thing that pops into your head at the name Madison. If someone said Louisville would you say Alabama? If someone said Paris would you say Texas? (both real cities)
>>
>>8026662
You are amazingly worthless.
>>
I left a signed Mike Huckabee book on someone's doorstep.
>>
>>8028702
One cannot be amazingly worthless as to be worthless means you have no worth but to amaze gives at least a minor amount of worth in that it makes an individual feel something.
>>
>>8030592
Are you Mike Huckabee?
>>
File: 1339835766601.jpg (178 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
1339835766601.jpg
178 KB, 640x426
>>8030753
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.