[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just bought this on Amazon, what am I in for /lit/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: stormofsteel.jpg (26 KB, 311x475) Image search: [Google]
stormofsteel.jpg
26 KB, 311x475
Just bought this on Amazon, what am I in for /lit/?
>>
>wwi thread

Anyone read Albertini's 3 volume "Origins of the war of 1914"? I hear it's a must for wwi but if possible I'd like some input before spending $200+ on an out of print text.
>>
slightly less comfy but infinitely less alarming than a storm of spiders
>>
Think of the new Battlefield trailer except as a book.
>>
>>8022244
I'll be honest I bought it because I wanted to learn more after seeing the trailer. I've also been listening to Hardcore History's WWI series as well, bretty gud so far
>>
>>8022155
read it last month
i liked it a lot, but if you dont have at least a vague admiration of german philosophy and literature, or if you bought it because you're a naziboo, you might be sorely disappointed.
>>
>>8022353
The significance of the book is that it is a much more stoic presentation of ww1 than you're used to.
Whereas most ww1 lit you'll get your hands on are just great lamentations at the horror of war Storm of Steel is good as it gives a honest depiction of the war and is even a little humorous in places.
>>
>>8022372
whoops! meant that to be reply to OP.
>>
>>8022353
Not a naziboo, but I bought it mostly because of >>8022372, I heard it was a more objective description of the war
>>
>>8022378
i wouldnt say its objective- it has a distinctly german flavor.

the biggest difference between this and most other war-related texts/films is that this one is not vehemently anti-war, and it's not about (or from the perspective of) a bunch of grunts.
>>
>>8022293
>Hardcore History's WWI series

You should get your history from historians, not shitty podcasters.
>>
all quiet on the western front
ww1 as told by a shitbag

storm of steel
ww1 as told by a lifer
>>
If you have bought the book and enquire about its contents after the purchase, then you are effectively not only a buffoon but a sycophant of the highest order.

Perhaps you should attempt to investigate the works you wish to read before spending your money on something that may waste your time.
>>
>>8022701

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bait to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
>>
>>8022720
Do you contain within you the mental aptitude and coherence to explain to me the inherent different between the name "Anonymous" and "Sulla"?

:)
>>
>>8022720
>>8022730
difference*
>>
>>8022730
Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bait to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
>>
>>8022798
Thank you for conceding.

:)
>>
READ THE FUCKING BOOK YOU CUNT
>>
>>8022689
I've been in long enough that I'm a lifer at this point and noticing how many war memoirs are written by Private Shitbag is pretty amusing.
>>
File: Princess Elizabeth.jpg (69 KB, 615x814) Image search: [Google]
Princess Elizabeth.jpg
69 KB, 615x814
>buying books from Amazon
>>
Isn't the penguin version abridged? Like they edited out the more "offensive" or politically incorrect stuff out of it. Not sure if it is that version.
>>
Some seriously intense stuff.

I now view WW1 as a literal equivalent of hell on earth.
>>
>>8022805
nice, you won that argument on the internet. awesome xD. you're fast on your way to becoming one of my favorite tripcode users!
>>
>>8022949
>reading at all
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.