[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You've finished every book you've started, right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5
File: 1362844881394.png (25 KB, 190x194) Image search: [Google]
1362844881394.png
25 KB, 190x194
You've finished every book you've started, right?
>>
Every single one except a brave new world, literally fell asleep everytime I tried to read that shit.
>>
No. I dropped Gravity's Rainbow at around 300 pages and I can't pick it up again because I honestly can't remember where I am.

something about african commandos and an underground train chase is the last thing I remember.
>>
no, i dropped ij after the second sentence, sincerely.
>>
>>8021630
I can't finish Tristram Shandy.
I go too long between tries and have to start over every time.
Fuck Uncle Toby and his hobby horse.
>>
>>8021630
Lord of the Flies. I thought it was an interesting book, but I started reading it when I was 23. Should've started like 10 years earlier, at the time there were more interesting books on my list that i wanted to read.
>>
>>8021630

Yes and no. If I'm really not liking it, I just skim the rest of the book.
>>
>>8021634
damn, I've dropped and restarted a lot of books but I definitely finished that one. why'd it bore you?
>>
have never read the bible all the way through
>>
i haven't finished the book i started just now
>>
>>8021630
Started "A Little Life" by Hanya Inagahara and hated it so much that I put it down after 50 pages. I will not be finishing it.
>>
File: 1462912562680.png (25 KB, 190x194) Image search: [Google]
1462912562680.png
25 KB, 190x194
>>8021630
Buddy, I haven't even started every book that I've finished.
>>
File: 1350321944587.jpg (23 KB, 400x484) Image search: [Google]
1350321944587.jpg
23 KB, 400x484
>>8021907
Explain. Was considering picking it up
>>
not yet
>>
>>8021930
Finnegans Wake right?
>>
>>8021987
"The musicality of it," somebody would say, and I'd say, "Oh God, yes, it's like Beethoven."
>>
I think Oliver Twist is the only one I've yet to pick up again.
>>
i don't think i've ever dropped a fiction book and i don't think i've ever finished a poetry collection, or nonfiction book cover to cover ... i just kind of pick and chose what to read if its not fiction
>>
>>8021630
No. Grabed a Harry Potter once to see what all the fuss was about.

Couldn't finish one paragraph. I remember the shitty writer (because that crap has a writer, not an author) saying that one character "had opener her eyes as big as apples" which I assumed mean that she was surprised.

fuck, life is too short man, too short.
>>
I never finished "The Mysterious Island" by Jules Verne. It was interesting, but lacked a clear plot.
>>
>>8022119
And every fucking time a character went on a fucking walk THEY WERE STRETCHING THEIR GOD DAMN LEGS
>>
>>8022159
i would let bloom stretch my legs any day :^)
>>
>>8022119
Same here. It was a long time ago for me.

Aside from that, I put down 100 Years of Solitude for a few months.
>>
>>8021630
No, I'm not cucked by the sunk cost fallacy.
>>
Only book I didn't finished was To the Lighthouse.
>>
The crying lot of 49.

>Oedipa said said said Mucho said.
>>
I didn't finish Genet's Thief's Journal because it was fucking awful. Read half and sold it back to the bookstore.
>>
>>8021630
Of course not. If a book is utter shit, I'll walk out on it. Case in point: zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance. There's only so much self-congratulatory garbage and pseudo-philosophy a guy can take.
>>
>>8022276
wow, that's pretty pathetic. You didn't make it past the first 15 or so pages even? Mucho is not a main character, you're kind of outing yourself here, not to mention dropping the book because it's too conversational when that isn't reflective of the work as a whole at all

someone needs a bit more patience
>>
Why the fuck would I do that?
>>
>>8021630
i don't even finish masturbating most the time
>>
>>8021630
Oh god no. I've chucked out tonnes of books I've started. 90% pleb tier fiction tho.
>>
I threw pic related across the room about halfway through. What a terrible author. Did not finish Gravity's Rainbow, the Silmarrilion, or Remembrance of Things Past either (although Swan's Way was great I just did not read anything after that).
>>
All except Walden. And I enjoyed what i read of Walden.
>>
>>8022119
why did you grabe a Harry Potter?
>>
Nearly.
>>
>>8022119
>Grabed a Harry Potter

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>8022119
So what's grabing harry potter like?
>>
>>8022129
Was seagalogy any good though? I recently ordered it, and I would like to hear your thoughts on it.
>>
>>8021634

...I'm not alone in this massive faggotry?
>>
>>8021907
You can't say you've really ~tried~ that book after only 50 pages. That book takes a significant turn and becomes almost entirely about a single character, nothing like the big cast at the beginning would have you believe.
>>
>>8022328
I got to the point where she fucked what's his name in the closet then went to some electronic club. Didn't like it.
When I noticed the
>said
>said
>said
I just put it down.

I wanted to read the Third Policeman at the time and was expecting something more from Crying lot.
>>
>>8022394

very tender, like raw chicken.
>>
I read the first page of Finnegans Wake every few months
>>
My autobiography is yet to be complete.
>>
>>8021645
This. Was the first book I started reading this year and left off at chapter 25 to read something else, and since then I've finished 11 books without getting a page further in Tristram Shandy.
>>
I'm determined to finish 1Q84, no matter how many breaks I have to take on the way.

At least I now have the Ushikawa chapters to look forward to.
>>
I found it a hard decision who i hated more after reading half of Taipei - Tao Lin or myself, for buying that god-awful abomination "book". I felt like I'd already finished the novel and all of it's sequels after having browsed his twitter before I bought it. Fuck Taipei, and fuck Tao Lin.
>>
>>8021630
I'm getting better, but I used to drop like half the books I started. There are also definitely a few college textbooks I promised myself I'd finish someday.
>>
>>8022461
Are you the six-part autobiography anon?
>>
I didn't liked Crime and Punishment back then, and i fucking hated 1984's third chapter, which made me hate the entire book; but i still finished every book i started.

I also just finished reading Heart of Darkness in my phone, and i'm still not sure what the plot was about. Mainly, i got partially lost as to where the fuck where Marlow and co. going to during the narration; and why did Marlow went in search of mr. Kurtz. Overall, an alright book i guess, though i find it kinda hard to believe that a simple man like Marlow would use such sophisticated language during his narration. Even more so when narrating to other simple people who could most likely not even know how to read.

Also, how's Brave New World? Is it really as bad as the first guy said it is?
>>
>>8022461
Please, let it end with your suicide note.
Pleeeease.
>>
The Name of the Wind.

Funny thing is I was on holiday and it was the only book I had but I couldn't go any further.
>>
>>8024988
The guy is memeing to fuck bnw is pretty good. It helps to know the general intellectual trends of the time though. Eugenics, ending of the nuclear family, fordism etc
>>
>>8021630

Winter Stories - Isak Dinesen. Something about this book really, really rubbed me the wrong way, three stories in. The tone, the aristocratic smugness, the didacticism; and to think I was expecting a comfy bedtime read.

Eee Eeeeeeeeee Eeeeeeeeeeeee - Tao. I thought I liked surrealism or absurdism or whatever you want to call that. Not this incoherent emotionless crap though.

Tropic of Cancer. Can't really explain it, should have been right up my alley. I like Bukowski, Hunter Thompson, Hamsun. Should probably give it another chance.

The Unnameable - Beckett. My own fault entirely -- for some reason I was expecting something light and funny. Had no idea I was diving right off the deep end. I will get back to it one day but I will start with Molloy this time, as has been recommended to me here.

The Lime Works - Bernhard. Again, I had no idea what I was getting into and I was in the mood for something lighthearted...yeah. It's not that I didn't like it, it was just too bleak and intense for me at the time (I was in the hospital). I will get back to Bernhard one day.

Prose Poems - Russell Edson. Drivel. Never again.

Lost in the Funhouse - Barth. I enjoyed the Ambrose stories and the title piece but the metatextual onanism throughout put me off and I dropped it.

I almost dropped To the Lighthouse. I did appreciate it and I pushed on through to the end but, by Jove, it was an exhausting read. Talk about splitting hairs and splitting again and slicing and dissecting. Not sure when -- and if -- I'll be getting back to Woolf.
>>
>>8021634
Holy shit brother, literally the only one. Fahrenheit 451 would break the bond but it was so damn short, I just took a vicodin and accepted 100 pages of mental numbness.
>>
never finished

the sea
the sweet hereafter
the English patient
naked lunch
perdido street station
the dragonbone chair
hitchhikers guide to faggotry
hyperion
a feast for crows
the lost world
Ulysses
>>
File: 1456695428155.gif (2 MB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
1456695428155.gif
2 MB, 1200x675
no. there are some young adult novels that i havent bothered to finish
>>
I've tried to read the Iliad three separate times now, Chapman's once and Lattimore's twice

Maybe I should try Fagles
>>
I got 40% of the way through Infinite Jest before giving up
>>
>>8021630

No. I quit War and Peace 300 pages in as I realized I was too young.
>>
I dropped Go Set A Watchman and Pagan Lord.
>>
>>8021630
I stopped reading Hunger Games after the first page because it was so fucking gay and horribly written.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.