[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
existentialism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: iq7JqfA.png (341 KB, 900x731) Image search: [Google]
iq7JqfA.png
341 KB, 900x731
what proof do the existentialists have for saying that existence precedes essence?

are they saying someone with a brain tumor is totally responsible for his crimes?

what the hell does "existence" even mean? aren't things just the way they are in reality? the way atoms are just atoms?
>>
he essentially says you don't exist for a distinct reason.

The example (i think) he gives is that a stapler or something like that's essence precedes its existence because there is a clear idea of what is its purpose is before it's made and when it's made if it no longer staples then it is no longer worth anything in terms of what its essence is meant to be.

Whereas humans exist i.e. live but haven't this pre-ordained constraint on purpose so they exist first and only afterwards can they decide what they are about , how to orient their life and so on, i.e. their essence
>>
It's not a proovable statement you empiricist retard
>>
Existence precedes essence = you are not born the person you are, you become it
>>
>>8021498
First Sartre, although he took the term, does not represent the views of most or even many Existentialists.

Second, as long as your brain is still intact you have choice available to you. Even bound in a mad man's basement you can still choose where your mind goes, and you own that choice. Sartre goes even further by saying that what you choose determines the essence of humanity, as the essence of scissors is cutting.

The Existential Comics guy's treatment of Sartre isn't bad.
>>
>>8021513
>don't exist for a distinct reason
and yet biology would seem to imply that we do have an essence, albeit one that slowly evolves, is not our reason to exist to propagate our species?

this just sounds like a trannyfag apologism -- "o ya we have no purpose! even though i was born with the essence of a man and the corresponding genitals i am like totally free to cut it off and stick toys up my butt"

sartre is disgusting
>>
>>8021526
i'd rather my life not revolve around some convenient postwar doctrine, tyvm
>>
>>8021563
>and yet biology would seem to imply that we do have an essence, albeit one that slowly evolves, is not our reason to exist to propagate our species?

no, that is not an essence. Essence varies between people and it can't be a blanket essence of humans to propagate species if may choose not to do it
>>
>>8021588
biology is built upon essences -- without essential features how would we distinguish species or sexes? just because some people fail to fulfill their essential human duties doesn't mean there's no essence -- it merely means they are incomplete humans as compared to productive members of society who believe in essences and forms and ideals and truth and beauty and goodness
>>
>>8021498
It is essential that I find the hurtful chart for this character, if it exists.
>>
>>8021563
Propagate our species to what end? Is there a preordained purpose to it? Even if you consider survival of the species the purpose of every human individual it's completely vague in how you apply that to actions we should or shouldn't take.
>>
>>8021565
Existentialism began in the 1830's
>>
>>8021598
you're just not using the word essence as sartre used it. That's not an essence in the way he defines it, arguing over the definition is pointless.

As for propagating the race being an essential human duty there's absolutely no reason to believe that is the case, especially nowadays.

anyway, i'm getting more and more of a sense of 'le ebin trol' so i'll just leave it there
>>
>>8021599
sorry m8, not sure about that. katawa shoujo is a fun game though.
>>
>>8021498
>are they saying someone with a brain tumor is totally responsible for his crimes?
Existentialism only states that a brain tumor guy is not naturally born as a killer. You need a proof that not all people with brain tumor are killers or what?
>>
>>8021498
>you say a girl you love her
>she sticks out her tongue

nice pic, animefags

>>8023604

>Existentialism only states that a brain tumor guy is not naturally born as a killer.

even if she was born with that brain tumour?

>You need a proof that not all people with brain tumor are killers or what?

you need a proof that brain tumours may differ?
>>
>>8021563
Biological imperative is not essence
>>
>>8021563
Biology/evolution does not have a "purpose," it just does what it does as the result of physical systems bumping around in a pattern. There is no more purpose in animals procreating than there is in rocks eroding in the wind.

Only humans can act with purpose.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.