[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I got memed by /lit/ (definately not again) and just aquired
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
File: IMG_20160510_200008979.jpg (2 MB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160510_200008979.jpg
2 MB, 1836x3264
So I got memed by /lit/ (definately not again) and just aquired this book.
I love to study a book and take notes - mostly because I read to see others (philosophical, if you will) insights.

How do I go about taking notes for this friend?
>>
go fuck yourself, my main man
>>
The first step is throwing this edition in the trash and buying the 20th anniversary edition.
>>
just write down your thoughts as you read it. I'll be doing this when I read Zarathustra later this year.
>>
>>8021148

not him, but why?
>>
Taking notes is a fucking waste of time. Just read the book.
>>
>>8021174

Funny coincidence, wrote my dissertation on Infinite Jest and Zarathustra, kek
>>
>>8022443
Can you post it?
>>
File: doc.png (1 MB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
doc.png
1 MB, 800x600
>>8021129
bruh
the notes have been taken for you
&ButSo bruh
two bookmarks will get u thru
>>
File: IMG_20160511_163521514.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160511_163521514.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
OP here

>he either says or reads

Am I autistic if this kind of language complete phases me and get me out (on a tangent that the second is just a special case of the former)

I'm gonna have a hard time with this

(non-Englisch native science academic)
>>
>>8024557
the guy couldn't write for shit. think of it as a novel of ideas. stoner ideas.

DFW had no internal voice that bleeds through his work defining his texture and flavor in your mind and thus suffered by having to seem interesting to his readers on every page lest they give him up in a blink and a smash.
>>
File: Img-1-CBIJ.jpg (73 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
Img-1-CBIJ.jpg
73 KB, 1280x853
>>8021129
you better take those notes well mate, pic related

>>8021148
ah yes, how could you possibly read the book without a Zadie Smith blurb on the front cover
>>
I'm not sure if I'm ripe for the English.
Does this start out with a need for the boys justification that his graded are too good? I'm confused
>>
>>8024639
Jesus Christ, did they mark every single page?
>>
>>8021129
You have a mac and you're scared of being memed by IF?

kek
>>
>>8024695

Just the ones with life-changing, mind-shatteringly profound insight into the human condition.
>>
>>8024716
What I wanted to say there was that it's definately not the first time I was memed by /lit/,
but even then, by being memed I mostly mean giving in to a meme and reading a /lit/ discussed book - so being memed is not bad in itself
>>
If the book is not enjoyably challenging, find a different book and/or come back to it. You have to slog through it at some points, but if you haven't acquired the reading skill of taking in all the information on a page and knowing what to commit to memory then read something else.

Many of his insights and ideas aren't usually in a single page but are spread out through most of the book. I started to get what he was saying a few hundred pages in. You won't need any notes, as I feel like he spells everything out if you read a lot of the book.

>tl;dr you don't need notes, just concentration and reading skills.
>>
>>8024586
>the guy couldn't write for shit.
Jesus Christ /lit/... always the pretentious faggot.
>>
I've finished it yesterday and it was amazing.

The first time I tried to read it I dropped it after 200 pages because I was expecting a regular novel with a linear structure. But the second time I read it expecting a clusterfuck of masterfully written scenes and characters and I wasn't disappointed.
>>
>buying the old edition

Why do people do this
>>
>>8027588
Best cover by far
>>
>>8024691
Yeah, if you're struggling at the first chapter you're going to have problems. It is a tad confusing, and the first chapter only becomes explicitly clear upon completion of the book, but still- you need to be able to understand English at near fluent levels.
>>
File: IMG_20160512_105233007.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160512_105233007.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>8025836
>you don't need to take notes
Maybe I have expressed myself wrongly, but I love taking notes. I ask how taking notes is recommended here, not if I should do it.
>>
Ya got memed, son. Happens to the best of us. Pick your chin up and move on.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.