[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FUCK WATERSTONES
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 12
File: Waterstones-007.jpg (37 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
Waterstones-007.jpg
37 KB, 460x276
Got turned down for a job at this shithole about an hour ago

>be me, 1st class degree in English lit
>go into town
>see staff wanted notice in store
oh sweet i was looking for some part time work
>ask for manager
>he starts quizzing me on what books I read
"well mainly classics, I love Russian and German lit but my taste goes way beyond that"
>his smile visibly disappears
>asks what contemporary authors I like
this devolves into me just parroting the /lit/ recommended reading list
>asks my favorite book
Crime and Punishment
>he rolls his fucking eyes
>"Sorry anon were looking for people with criteria that you just don't fit and you don't have the experience"

I even dropped a joke about it being a "Catch 22" that I can't work there to gain the experience but he didn't go for it

Did your guys meme opinions on books just cost me a job?
>>
kill yourself
>>
no, your autism cost you a job.
>>
>>8020397
rude
>>
>>8020400
I'm not even close to you fucking /r9k/ dropouts I'm outgoing and charismatic, initiated the handshake and everything
>>
>>8020397
this
>>
>>8020389
>parroting the /lit/ recommended reading list
That's stupid.
I like the Catch-22 joke though, it's true
>>
>>8020403
Hey, you gotta be pop and cool with your book tastes; not everyone reads classics. I'd personally not apply there for that very reason.
>>
>>8020397
>>8020400
these
also this
>>8020405
not this
>>8020406
the joke was bad
>>
>>8020389
Maybe if you had better taste you would have gotten the job.
>>
>>8020389
Stupid.
This is what you answer:

>he starts quizzing me on what books I read
Mainly anything that fall on the NY times bestseller list or Amazon bestseller list. You know, I try to keep it up with the trends, either on Young adult fiction as well as romantic fiction.

>asks my favorite book
Mostly I read the reviews of the NY times and memorize key aspects to give a recommendation based on what books we offer an the demographic the customer belongs.
Right now I am reading EXTREME PREY ©, by John Sandford, which is #1 at sales.
>>
>>8020411
What even is pop and cool? Game of thrones? Should I have just lied and said I read harry potter and Game of Thrones all day?

>>8020413
>>>/b/

>>8020416
In hindsight this makes perfect sense, ironically the actual avid readers I know abhor that shit

why the fuck do I have to pretend to be a pleb to get a goddamn job working a tell and stacking shelves?
>>
>>8020422
If you really want that job (god forbid) just go to the store and see what it is promoting, then just read it. Alternatively just quit trying and get a real job.
>>
>>8020389
come back at night and torch the place then blame it on the muslims
>>
File: 1431474889144.jpg (87 KB, 320x370) Image search: [Google]
1431474889144.jpg
87 KB, 320x370
>>8020389
Nigga you are overqualified. No one wants to hire and train someone who's already looking for a better job.

Next time lie on your application and report yourself as a high school graduate. Also don't act like a snob-ass douche in the interview.
>>
>>8020422
>pretend

it's a customer service job any way, so the main thing you need is to be at least somewhat likeable. that's where you failed clearly
>>
>>8020422
>why the fuck do I have to pretend
Dude, lowering your power level to seem more "normie" is the only way to go unless you wanna end as an outcast.

What am I supposed to say: Yes, I like Greco-Roman music, I don't dance, I read the Greeks on original language and my political ideas are so obscure they belong more to a cult than to a party.

Leave your Bros K for when you are chilling at home and play ball outside.

Do not give that which is holy to the dogs, nor cast your pearls before the swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn around and tear you in pieces
>>
>>8020444
it wasn't an interview I just dropped in and inquired about the job

>>8020445
up yours, nigger, I'm extremely friendly

I'm just trying to save up to do a master's degree, I've done 3 years of contracted work as a desktop engineer have a top class degree and no one will fucking hire me to do some basic bitch work for minimum wage
>>
>>8020457
Yeah dude work on the anger management part, you're overdoing it.
>>
Fuck getting a job in general.

>referred to a job at a gas station right up the road
>don't get it despite getting recommendations from the manager and three employees I would be working with
>hired an almost literal retard

>pound the ground and try for a job multiple places that either are not hiring or want to keep it in the family

>a local hardware store is hiring so go in to speak to the manager
>told to apply online
>get call a week later and told since I didn't have enough retail experience I couldn't stock shelves or unload a truck

>same with Sears but actually be completely liked and get along with the interviewer
>told I will be contacted before the week was up whether I got the job or not
>no call at all and a month later get a rejection email

>told to go to the staffing agency
>get told by the woman who interviewed me that they "WILL CALL ME" when I inquired about some jobs they had listed on their website
>100% sure they sold my info since I get ads and shit in the mail that I never got before there

I'm on the verge of killing myself.
>>
>>8020456
why is everybody assuming I'm an autist? I'm an ultra normie if anything I just like 4chan because it's the only true bastion of free speech on the internet and probably in the world

I honestly just thought I'd have a better chance of getting a job in a bookshop by showing that I actually read books

the other people working there looked like they read three books a year with one of them being a cookbook
>>
as a hiring manager for my company. I really don't care about your schooling or where you work or even what your answers to those questions would be. I care about how you answer them. I'm looking to see if I would enjoy working with you, as well as everyone else in the company. we hire on personality. anyone can be taught to do a job. so basically your shit personality lost you the job. remember that in an interview you don't necessarily have to be yourself (if your a fag), you can be anyone you want. the interviewer doesn't know you. try acting like someone else at your next interview. do interviews for places you don't want to work. just for practise, so your not a nervous cunt.
>>
>>8020389
I literally can't express how much better my life has been since I attended Oxford, instead of trying to get a shitty job like you. I went to a state school and gradually became the stereotypical moody, withdrawn sensitive type who both despises the quality of his immediate culture and feels a weird pride for having been raised in a sort of anti-intellectual and brutal environment. I was all set to take my Russell Group humanities BA and spend my life working as an anonymous, insecure wageslave forever thankful of being offered a job and forever too insecure to pursue my creative ambitions. The chip on my shoulder had become something of a wedge, and I felt too out of place regardless of my environment, too resentful and bitter to even attempt to make it in the artistic world. Then I finally applied for Oxford and got in to study an English MA, with reassurance that should I work hard enough a career in academia or within one of Oxford's affiliated companies would be almost guaranteed. I turned up as apprehensive as usual, and the first few days were spent regretting my decision and desperately feigning a cultured personality. But then I realized that the people there were just interesting and that the snobbery and exclusivity I had anticipated was just a myth borne out of my working class upbringing. I've since graduated, having spend the year dining in grand halls with groups of interesting people, dating several girls (one of whom, a petite Russian whose family traces back to the aristocracy, is now my fiancee). I work four days a week at a publishing company and earn ?38k a year. I regularly meet up with friends from my college and visit Oxford for nights out and for meetings with my professors.
>>
>>8020468
>why is everybody assuming I'm an autist?

because of what you say
>>
>>8020468
>bastion of free speech
There is no other place in the world where people will so readily jump down your throat for stating an opinion than 4chan.
>>
>>8020467
I applied for a job in the LEGO™ store not long ago, my entire childhood revolved around the shit as did my friends

I had countless sets of Star Wars Lego, cowboy and lego city sets, bionicles etc.

I've been surrounded by kids in my family growing up as well and passed on the shit to them

but because I've not worked in retail before they rejected my application and probably gave the job to some chick who dropped out of school at 15 and worked in a Tesco for two years because she saw the Lego movie twice
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 388x232) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 388x232
>>8020403
>>
>>8020483
exactly it's fantastic, humanity in its ugliest purest form

for example this guy >>8020480
>>
>>8020468
chill dude, you ask for a job in place where they dont care if the customer leaves with a cook book or Anna Karenina or Android Karenina for that matter.

You seem like you would be more comfortable working on a small used-rare-books kinda store. The kinda store that is run by a 100 year old scholar/ professor that probably has the rosetta stone on display and the Necronomicon on the back.
>>
>>8020483
YES THAT IS CALLED FREE SPEECH
YOU FUCKING BACKWARDS SJW COVERT FASCIST RETARD
>>
>>8020491
>You seem like you would be more comfortable working on a small used-rare-books kinda store. The kinda store that is run by a 100 year old scholar/ professor
mate after I left that was seriously the first thing that crossed my mind
>>
>>8020389
>not mentioning the genius john green
>>
>>8020493
No, man, that's mob rule. Speech is only free to the people who can yell the loudest and post the fastest. It's the reason 4/5 of all posts are less than 2 sentences and it's the reason that shitposting is the only viable way of getting your point across here. It's why a bunch of college-educated people are reduced to calling each other autistic instead of actually saying things that matter to them.
>>
File: ninth032.jpg (69 KB, 960x414) Image search: [Google]
ninth032.jpg
69 KB, 960x414
>>8020494
>disregard everything
>become a book hunter
>>
I would kindly like to express solidarity with you, brother. It is surely a dread and lamentable state of things, when a young man, who has dedicated his entire being to the study of literature, cannot even attain a lowly position in the worst of all bookshops.
>>
>>8020389
that's like going to an interview at gamestop and saying

"yeah my favorite games are final Fantasy 1-4. I only play ps1 and super NES games and I love weeeeeeeeew Japanese imports"
>>
>>8020389

INTERVIEWER: what's your favourite book

YOU: (autistically) heh l-lolita! heh...
>>
>>8020389
nigger you need to learn how the world works
>>
>>8020508
spoken like a true cuck

jk but the meme magic is top bants
>>
>>8020517
INTERVIEWER: I'VE NEVER HEARD OF THAT LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. WHAT ABOUT A BOOK WRITTEN WITHIN THE LAST 100 YEARS KEK
>>
>>8020513
that's a pretty poor analogy, could similarly say that it's like going to gamestop and they won't hire you unless you exclusively play facebook and mobile games
>>
He probably rejected you 'cause you thought you were hot shit for reading fucking Dostoevsky.
>>
>>8020528
both of those are fine analogies. the point is you need to be up to date with the current games they sell at the store.
>>
>le delusional 'I'm so much better than everyone and that's why my life isn't working out' thread

this is the exact flip side of SJW's who claim they are fat and gross because of patriarchy

u so cute /lit/
>>
>>8020528
No, not really. Gamestop doesn't sell mobile or facebook games. Gamestop wants you to know and sound excited about the games they're selling, so you will do a good job of making them money. The bookstore wants you to know and sound excited about the books they're selling so you will do a good job of making them money.
>>
File: 1459116824407.png (17 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1459116824407.png
17 KB, 600x600
>>8020389
I got my current job at a bookstore because I told my manager how much I loved Dubliners and I let him tell me about Saunders' Pastoralia.

PW named us bookstore of the year for 2016.
>>
Should've said The Brothers Karamazov
>>
>>8020533
the difference is you can get the jist of a game by watching the trailer or 5 minutes of footage

having to pour 5-10 hours into shitty contemporary literature by some middle aged soccer mum to be up to date is another story
>>
>>8020527

YOU: (mumbled, between sobs) no...discernible talent...(sniff)...please
>>
>>8020538
what bookstore do you work at, mate?
>>
>tfw no bookstores in my town
>>
File: 1437806436244.jpg (66 KB, 540x408) Image search: [Google]
1437806436244.jpg
66 KB, 540x408
>>8020538
Same guy here

>>8020416
>This is what you answer

No it isn't. You answer what you damn well please and if you have a manager worth a damn he or she will hire because you DONT like those books.

Your manager wants variety. Period. Someone to recommend mystery. Someone to recommend graphic novels. Literature. Poetry, History. Etc.

Within two weeks of your job you will know what the top sellers are. There is no need to already like those things.

The only idiots who think "just parrot whatever amazon says is selling" are those who have not worked in a bookstore.

Because if the above were true, anyone who said their favorite book is a tie between The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up and ANY adult coloring books should get the job.
>>
>>8020541
go on goodreads. read review. go YouTube. watch booktube review. same thing dumbass.
>>
>>8020564
you really think the people who leave goodreads reviews or make youtube vlogs on books know a damn thing about what's good?

those niggers are worse than /lit/ for hating things, the amount of negative reviews genuine masterpieces get is astounding
>>
>>8020559
Books Inc

Wont say which one. But suffice to say, a huge crowd of investors in bookselling came by our store about a month ago because they were having a meeting nearby and heard how much of a profit we were turning.
>>
>>8020493
I ventured into /pol/ the other day to a bit of nutcase watching and someone said something equally baffling. No word of a lie it was something to the effect of, "What's with all these liberals entering and ruining free speech on this board by being here. It's becoming a hugbox now" without the slightest hint of irony.
>>
>>8020570
no for bestsellers. jesus your dense
>>
>>8020571
sounds awesome, friend

> huge crowd of investors in bookselling came by our store about a month ago because they were having a meeting nearby and heard how much of a profit we were turning.
probably because they're hiring people who actually know a good book when they read one

>>8020575
and you're a meany head
>>
>>8020416
this

>be me
>worked in a bookstore
>nobody cares about classics, poetry etc.
>they want shades of grey and crime (without punishment)
>>
>>8020594

Exat same thing applies to recordstores. If you play modern Jazz people literally get triggered and call you an idiot while paying for their Toto album.

It's insufferable.
>>
OP here, just told my friends and family about getting denied the job

they all had the same response of: HAHAHA ANON, HOW COULD YOU OF ALL PEOPLE NOT GET HIRED BY A BOOKSTORE?

I laughed but it hurt a little
>>
>>8020624

Don't beat yourself up, you would hate working there. You'd make daily /lit/ threads about pleb customers.
>>
Does anyone actually come into book stores asking for recommendations? The job just sounds like typical customer service with a requirement to memorise regular product marketing.

I go to book stores to browse, not waste other peoples time
>>
>>8020624

just drop it man it hasn't been funny
>>
>>8020632
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>8020513

this.

it's like going to an interview with McDonald's and saying

>"yeah my favorites are, obviously, the French and the way the Japanese, such as Seiji YAMAMOTO, handle presentation in their dishes, but of course who can turn down a classic Tuscan supper and of course I'm fascinated by the work being done in molecular gastronomy."

I would have laughed at you, too, you God damned autist.
>>
>>8020538

>bookstore of the year

That's clearly way different than a fucking Waterstones. They're like a Borders or a Barnes and Noble.
>>
>>8020632
this.

the first post of the thread got it right, everything after was a mistake
>>
>>8020639
what a time to be alive when sincerity and a keen interest in your passions sparks such descent
>>
>>8020624
dont feel bad.

The guy who invented Whassap wasnt hired by Facebook.
>>
>>8020656

You're still missing the point entirely. He's overqualified to work at a fucking Waterstones. If he wants a filler job, he needs to dumb it down a bit because that's the type of people who will be in there day in and day out.
>>
>>8020673
which is an easy as fuck task, surely to get the job you have to show your prowess and explain why you're the best candidate for the job and then start playing the game?

why should you let the retards through the gate first in the hopes that they don't fuck it up later when you can just explain the rules to the more qualified person?
>>
he needs to look for some fine, independent bookstore I guess. A bookstore which can potentially survive without selling bestsellers and whose customers aren´t plebs. Those bookstores are few I know, but desu he wouldn`t have been happy at Waterstones anyway. At least my personal experience tells me so.
>>
>>8020692
I just want a job to be honest mate,I just thought a bookshop job would make the most sense
>>
>>8020688

God damn you're retarded. A place like Waterstones is not looking for the best candidate for the job.

They're looking for the retards through the gate, just to find the one who is going to clean, restock, and checkout fast when it's busy. That's it. Retail 101. They want people who are going to listen to them when they tell them sell this fucking book that is god awful but it's flying off our shelves like fucking hot cakes on national hot cake day, not the guy who's going to stand behind the counter when Mrs. Crabapple comes to the checkout with Harry Potter for her kids and a little bit of barely disguised Erotica for her to masturbate in the tub and tell her, "you know, if you really want to get off and get your kids on the right track, you should pick up some Zhukovsky and Pushkin. Also try Gogol and Turgenev to begin."
>>
>>8020730
tragic
>>
>>8020730
pleb apologism
>>
>>8020389
he probably thought you were overqualified for the job... they don't need salesmen with too good tastes
>>
>>8020750
Finally, it looks like you get it. Retail stores are looking for plebs and only plebs.
>>
>>8020485

Everything is fucking terrible. I just wanted a job during any part of the day or night where I shifted boxes from one place to another. How hard is it? How hard can it be?
>>
>>8020786
customers plebs
employees plebs
evrbdy happy
>>
It's actually funny when you contrast this reply
>>8020730

with these replies
>>8020750
>>8020772

One of these people understands how his contemporary society works and makes it work to his benefit, and the other two think that being autistic and lacking understanding of their surroundings somehow makes them better artists.
>>
>>8020791
people don´t like special snowflakes for these jobs
>>
>>8020798

I don't think I'm a special snowflake, I just don't understand why it takes retail experience when an average, non-retarded person can be trained in how to do something so simple in less than a day. How does this make me a snowflake?
>>
>>8020422
asoiaf is literally the most masterful piece of literature composed in the last half century
maybe if you enjoyed any decent writing they would've accepted you. worthless cunt
>>
I work at a Waterstones in Clapham Junction. It's not fun.

>have to wear fancy dress pretty often
>had to choose a protagonist and come in as them
>most people chose generic LOTR / Hunger Games / Harry Potter stuff
>tfw I went as DFW thinking people would appreciate it
>tfw manager made me change into work uniform because it looked like I was just wearing my own clothes
>regularly have to promote John Green-tier stuff to people asking about books
>tfw got shutdown by a girl who thought I was flirting with her by suggesting obscure (I wasn't)
>tfw you have to clear a section of classics to make room for another section of genre shit
>tfw autistic kids come in and grab a bunch of books to carry and I have to smile and then collect them and re-shelf them when their parents are done
>>
>>8020488
either you're lying and know you're an autist and are trying to hide it, because that's clearly the reason you were rejected so readily; or you don't know about your own position on the spectrum, and that's something you should address asap
>>
>>8020833
haha, well memed
>>
>>8020817
wear dress
hit on girls
wtf
>>
>>8020806
You're overqualified, they want a minimally competent, reliable retard (preferably no college degree) who has no chance of better prospects coming along.

It doesn't make sense for them to train your stupid ass to do a retard's job and then have you leave in two months for a better job or school and then they have to hire and train another retard for the same position.
>>
>being a wagecuck

wew lad you'll never live the literary lifestyle that way
>>
>>8020817
>>have to wear fancy dress pretty often
t-this sounds fun
>>
>>8021061
a maid uniform :3
>>
>>8021061
god I hate faggots
>>
>>8021074
stop acting like one then
>>
>>8021078
I don't get it
>>
>>8020389
Every once in a while a topic comes along that reminds me that I'm posting on a board full of clueless teenagers. Jesus fuck.
>>
>>8020389
>I even dropped a joke about it being a "Catch 22" that I can't work there to gain the experience

Nail in the coffin.
>>
>>8020422
Welcome to real life, where you have to lie and misrepresent yourself in order to get what you want. Have you read Catcher in the Rye? Or Notes from the Underground? They also carry out the "I'm real" delusion to the very end. Read Epictetus' Discourses to get yourself ready for the next one.

This is what happens when the special snowflake generation hits employment folks; we're all fucked.
>>
>>8021137
I agree but 3 years ago I was in the same boat. Everyone grows up being lied to about how special and intelligent they are and no one teaches you how to do this shit. I remember years ago writing on an application to a cafe that I did kendo, spoke Japanese and basic Chinese. Painful.
>>
Fuck your UK grading scheme.
>>
Try again next week. Chances are they won't even remember you. When they ask what you're into tell them straight up you don't read books.
>>
>>8020608
>comparing jazz to the classics
>>
>>8021027

I don't have a college degree.
>>
> working in a shop

no. shit pay. no respect. poor career options. You can't even be an introvert and quietly get along with your job and there's so many pointless rules. Lasted a few months at mine in a city centre shop.

Teaching assistants alright if you dont mind kids. Might meet a couple teachers on a power trip but the works relatively straight forward and you do meet some bright pupils.

Bar work is ok but not as fun as it sounds. Not done too much of this

But the absolute gold standard for an entry level job, at least in the uk, is a porter in a hospital. Say you are willing to work ANY hours on the application and apply constantly. High staff turnaround and always need more people. Good pay, relatively interesting, a lot of walking and people tend to leave you alone but are happy to talk if you want to.

Done a couple others if anyones interested. Been working full time since I was 17.
>>
File: 1445769588363.jpg (52 KB, 514x536) Image search: [Google]
1445769588363.jpg
52 KB, 514x536
>>8020403
>>
>>8020389
>be me, 1st class degree in English lit
Sorry m8 but the only job you're qualified for is flipping burgers
>>
>>8020389
Today in 'things that never happened'
>>
>>8020574
/pol/ is not known for its deep thinkers
>>
>>8021684
Why wouldn't that happen?
>>
>>8021690
Better than this circlejerk of pseuds.
>>
>>8020513
this
>>
>>8020534
/thread
>>
>>8020389
you probably didn't get hired because your would-be boss could tell that you were a try hard who only reads the "classics" in order to give off an impression of being smarter than everyone else around you as a coping method to deal with the fact that you're average at best intellectually. And then you post on /lit/ and hope the community of other pseudo-intellectuals will pamper you. "It's okay, anon. Go find somewhere that will appreciate your meme literature." And then you'll never change your ways, and you'll die a pseud.
>>
>>8020389

Why didn't you ask him what kind of qualifications they were working for? Might have been a better idea than raging about your experience on /lit/ :')
>>
>>8020488
>purest form
I somewhat disagree with this part. Have you read The Lucifer Effect? basically we change our behaviour based on external limitations or the lack of them. That doesnt make the truest us the one we are when the most exempt of limitations though. That is simply a different us
>>
>>8020467
Why not work in a factory?
>>
>>8020477
the funny thing about this pasta is that there's no such thing as an English MA at Oxford...
>>
OP here, this thread's been fun and if it's taught me one thing it's that /lit/ apparently hates classics and thinks that anyone that enjoys them has autism

gg guys, we've come full circle
>>
So you have 0 experience in retail. You have no interest in the kind of books Waterstones sells - even when prompted you didn't display that you have a basic understanding of contemporary fiction and what people who actually buy books purchase.

And you told him your favourite book is Crime and Punishment? Could you have picked anything more plebby?

Anyone that tells you that you are "overqualified" is full of shit. You don't have the basic qualifications or common sense of a 16-year-old girl.
>>
>>8021906
I can always trust anon to reach the wrong conclusion. You never disappoint me
>>
>>8021916
You sure do enjoy making assumptions, friendo

as I said I've got a 1st class degree in English lit and I've got three years of experience being contracted as a desktop engineer; so I never bothered with gaining retail experience

it is true that I'm not into contemporary fiction that much though, most of it's shit

>>8021928
I aim to trigger
>>
>>8021934

So my assumption that you have 0 experience was correct, as was my deduction that you are the generic dipshit lit student that has never actually gone to a bookshop and bought a book that wasn't 'canon'.

Your dissertation on post-structuralism in the works of Henry James from a shitty redbrick university isn't experience in using a till or upselling Moleskine notepads.
>>
>>8021954
>using a till or upselling Moleskine notepads
wow such skill, such ability, wow

I'm working class as fuck and have as much respect for the common man as anyone else but if you honestly think that that shit takes anything more than an IQ over 80 then you're deluded

It's a job in a shitty chain bookshop, I'm not trying try my hand at brain surgery
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 500x626) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 500x626
>>8021042
>>
>>8020508
Are you trying to make some 1984 reference?
>>
>>8020513
2 is the only good game of the 4 first, though.
>>
Next time, say English literature. Tell him you like Beowulf and the King James Bible.
>>
>>8021890

None around here. I tried getting a job at a warehouse too since I heard they take anything with a pulse but nothing.
>>
>>8022029
they will make you dress like grendel :^)
>>
>>8020457
>up yours, nigger
>I'm extremely friendly

Pick one.
>>
>>8020457

Learn to speak English with a perfect Polish accent.
>>
>>8020457
>I'm just trying to save up to do a master's degree, I've done 3 years of contracted work as a desktop engineer have a top class degree and no one will fucking hire me to do some basic bitch work for minimum wage

dont tell them you went to the college
>>
>>8020469
Based on what you wrote I wouldn't like working with you, is it possible for your employees to unhire you?
>>
>>8020477
this is honestly terrible copypasta
>>
muh
>>
File: handshake-pano_19966.jpg (132 KB, 1940x900) Image search: [Google]
handshake-pano_19966.jpg
132 KB, 1940x900
"I havn't really read anything but Harry Potter and that was when I was a kid but I've been eyeing that Thom Green guy or whatever his name is, and I own a copy of Srsly Shakespeare."

"you're in!"
>>
>>8020416

This.

I worked for HMV (record shop that at the time owned Waterstones, still might) and their interview questionnaire was mostly contemporary and included having to know which artists were in the top ten album and single charts and who was headlining that years biggest festivals.

This shop wants to shift units not bask in the euphoria of your enlightened tastes.
>>
>autist is surprised that he is denied a customer service position for not having the required knowledge to service customers
If you're selling shit, you've gotta know shit.
>>
File: 7d1.jpg (49 KB, 600x649) Image search: [Google]
7d1.jpg
49 KB, 600x649
>tfw went into a book shop and asked if they were looking for employees
>they werent
>>
>>8020389
That's a bit strange, I don't know why reading a lot of modern literature should be a requirement to stock shelves and work at a checkout.
>>
>>8022018
/lit/ doesn't know enough about games to acknowledge this obvious bait
>>
>>8025545
Not bait.

2 is much more interesting of a game overall and has a better plot, antagonist, and game mechanics than any of the other first four.

The GBA compilation version is even better, because it's basically a sandbox RPG at that point, plus it's so much more difficult.
>>
>>8025561
Now this is the real autist in the thread
>>
>>8025561
The leveling mechanic is god-awful what are you talking about
>>
>>8025561
2 had utterly broken game mechanics, you could easily remain in one fight and max out your character stats if you were patient enough.and how dare you say that IV wasn't squaresoft finally hitting their stride in their IP? you fucking cuck.
>>
>>8025606
this guy knows.
>>
File: 1410727055347.jpg (106 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1410727055347.jpg
106 KB, 480x360
>>8020389

It's frightening that my useless college degree could actually make it HARDER for me to get a job

What a depressing thread

What do people do ho have had no work experience for years, and no practical skills? I'm physically strong and healthy - are there people who will pay me money in return for manual labor?
>>
>>8020457
Didn't even get to the interview stage, champ?

And yet still convinced you're likeable and outgoing?
>>
>>8025606
How? It's entertaining.
>>8025611
IV was melodramatic garbage with an asspull final boss.

>you could easily remain in one fight and max out your character stats if you were patient enough
Not really,
>>
>>8025668
>get history degree
>graduate with honors
>2 years apply to almost every state archive and museum in the country
>pay resume company, sending documents on nice paper, everything
>end up substitute teaching, move to NYC in despair just to be away from family
>get hired by penny stock scam company
>see they pay lots for spammers
>pirate email spider software, dig tons of emails
>start making 60-70k emailing for the company a year
>they promote me to management
>meet medical student
>marry her
>stay at home dad in high country colorado
>ski while kids go to school

Sometimes just yolo and dont worry about the future
>marry her
>>
>>8026022
I hope you do some kind of drug like LSD every once in a while and secretly hate what you've become, one day breaking free of it realizing you enjoy misery more than comfort.
>>
>>8026039
I mean its sad that my ambitions arent realized, and that ive assisted in a lot of people getting scammed, but I read alot and plan on going back to school soon, so i basically have a second chance, sans poverty and desperation.
>>
>>8026046
Don't you feel like your wife and children are a burden? What are you, mid thirties?
>>
>>8020468
>looked like
yikes
your a dorable
s*ged
>>
>>8026055
naw, kids are great, wifes my best friend. my issues with it are all existential
>>
>>8025668

Become a builder.
If you look the part say you have Polish ancestry or better yet go to Pollack bars and network until one of them puts you on.
>>
>>8026113
>wifes my best friend
people usually don't fuck their best friends
Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.