[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the other themes of Romeo & Juliet besides love
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: shakespeare.jpg (572 KB, 1426x1904) Image search: [Google]
shakespeare.jpg
572 KB, 1426x1904
What are the other themes of Romeo & Juliet besides love and death?
>>
It's too late for you. Work on your chemistry homework instead.
>>
There is no human work of art that isn't about love and/or death.
>>
One of the most important themes of the play is that you should do your own homework.
>>
>>8020040
Nigga how're you going to learn anything if you get us to do it for you?

Coincidentally, a theme is the stupidity of teenagers.
>>
>>8020122
>>8020122
Kæk
>>
>>8020040
church oppression (of science: using it for evil potionmaking; of people: manipulating information for personal benefit i.e. Friar Laurence wanted Romeo for himself)
Faust paralelles (Benvolio encourages Romeo to go meet Juliet in the first place, Romeo accepts, selling his soul to Benvolio i.e. the Devil)
struggle with chronic illness and the necessary lifestyle adaptations (Juliet has a nurse in her bedroom almost the entire time)
oppression of the non-gender-binary (Mercutio dies because he was caught in the middle of a conflict between Masculinity (House of Montague) and Femininity (House of Capulet)
>>
>>8020250

thank you so much you gave some new ideas to complite my short-essay on R & J.

>>8020043
>> It's too late

i have to do this for the 2 of June.
>>
>>8020304
just to clarify, those aren't really the themes.
>>
File: WDF_2685919.png (659 KB, 6766x5949) Image search: [Google]
WDF_2685919.png
659 KB, 6766x5949
>>8020040
Spooks
>>
Names
Literature, a lot of references and metaphors involving books, writing, language, etc. The importance of verbal actions. The community kills the challenge to social construction of language.
Love
Love as religion/idolatry (see Jorge Luis Borges on Dante)
Fate/chance vs free will
Stars (representatives of Fate)
Light vs darkness/night (night = private world, light = society, law, tradition)
Silver vs gold
Youth vs age/old people
Time
>>
>>8020306
yes, but i just needed to find some new reflections. I haven't to develop those too much.
>>
>>8020250
This is bullshit.
>>
>>8020324
>Names
>Literature, a lot of references and metaphors involving books, writing, language, etc. The importance of verbal actions. The community kills the challenge to social construction of language.
>Love
>Love as religion/idolatry (see Jorge Luis Borges on Dante)
>Fate/chance vs free will
>Stars (representatives of Fate)
>Light vs darkness/night (night = private world, light = society, law, tradition)
>Silver vs gold
>Youth vs age/old people
>Time

but this is not
>>
>>8020329
Agree, but don't know why you mention it since I didn't say anything about that post.
>>
>>8020329
What do you mean gold vs silver?
>>
>>8020351
>The "infinite" nature of true love is repeated. Similar motif in Anthony and Cleopatra opening. "Boundlessness versus limitation is a key dialectic for Shakespeare in every sphere (language, politics, mortality, sexual passion, geography, stagecraft, etc.). In Romeo and Juliet, which we have seen to be an exceptionally well-crafted play, the material worth of “gold” and its limitations as lucre, ornament, and literal status symbol are measured against another kind of quality, associated with the quicksilver Mercutio and with the element of silver in the play. It is not overstating the case to say that gold versus silver constitutes another of the play's defining feuds, and that the critique of gold leads to the stunning climax/anticlimax of the final scene, in which Capulet and Montague, having apparently learned nothing from their losses, vie to build golden statues, each for the other's dead child."
>>
>>8020351
i didn't understand too
>>
>>8020250
>church oppression (of science: using it for evil potionmaking; of people: manipulating information for personal benefit i.e. Friar Laurence wanted Romeo for himself)

Shakespeare was a crypto-Catholic you dumb nigger.
>>
>>8020250

This anon is literally retarded and has literally no idea what he's talking about, so you should definitely and literally use what he said.
>>
File: OO.gif (454 KB, 300x185) Image search: [Google]
OO.gif
454 KB, 300x185
>>8020525
>>
>>8020421
Nice, source on this? Would like to read more.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.