[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fantasy books such as Game of Thrones can damage children's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/06/fantasy-books-such-as-game-of-thrones-can-damage-childrens-brain/

>A private school head teacher has urged pupils not to read Game of Thrones books, claiming they can damage their "sensitive subconscious brains".

>Graeme Whiting also said fantasy titles - such as Lord of the Rings, The Hunger Games and Harry Potter - "encourage difficult behaviour in children".

>He told parents to steer clear of the "mystical and frightening texts" and they should instead read classics such as those by Wordsworth, Keats, Shelley and Shakespeare.

>Writing on his blog, Mr Whiting - head of the independent Acorn School in Nailsworth, Gloucester - said fantasy books can be bought without a "special licence", despite damaging the "sensitive subconscious brains of young children".

>"I want children to read literature that is conducive to their age and leave those mystical and frightening texts for when they can discern reality, and when they have first learned to love beauty.

>"Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, The Hunger Games, and Terry Pratchett, to mention only a few of the modern world's 'must-haves', contain deeply insensitive and addictive material which I am certain encourages difficult behaviour in children; yet they can be bought without a special licence, and can damage the sensitive subconscious brains of young children, many of whom may be added to the current statistics of mentally ill young children.

>"Buying sensational books is like feeding your child with spoons of added sugar, heaps of it, and when the child becomes addicted it will seek more and more, which if related to books, fills the bank vaults of those who write un-sensitive books for young children!"

>"Children are innocent and pure at the same time, and don't need to be mistreated by cramming their imagination that lies deep within them, with inappropriate things."

>"Beware the devil in the text! Choose beauty for your young children!"

Is he right?
>>
I'd want my kid to read something rather than nothing
>>
>Shakespeare
>not sensational
>>
>>8018290
You lost me at "subconscious." Only mongoloids with no understanding of psychology use that term.
>>
Keats shelly and shakespeare ... romantic poetry and fantasy beyond belief ... midsummer nights dream? These dumb fuckers. Realism is like austen, dickens, post 19th century English novel. What dumb bastards. They shouldnt read some fantasy because it is shit, instead of saying it is bad because it is fantasy, then offering MORE, older fantasy
>>
>>8018366
>He didn't lose you at posting an article about some random study
It's almost like you just posted what you did to make yourself seem smart on an anonymous image board.
>>
>>8018290
>>"Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, The Hunger Games, and Terry Pratchett, to mention only a few of the modern world's 'must-haves', contain deeply insensitive and addictive material which I am certain encourages difficult behaviour in children; yet they can be bought without a special licence, and can damage the sensitive subconscious brains of young children, many of whom may be added to the current statistics of mentally ill young children.

lol at least Harold Bloom just says straight up they're bad because they're shit books.
>>
>>8018408
This. The way the headmaster characterizes these authors only makes them more enticing to children.
>>
>>8018290
>fantasy books can be bought without a "special licence"
I'm sure this cunt would like the government to give approved books. Anything that we read will have to pass through a "bureau of information", where they will say what is good and what is bad.

I bet he is a church fag who liked when the church was in power and burnt anything that hinted that you can live without God, or that the earth is round, or that the earth travels around the sun, and not the other way round.

I hope his granddaughter gets teen preggers because she read Shakespeare and swooned for the dick.
>>
I'm sure that, of all the good reasons to not read fantasy, this will be the only one to emerge in mass media.
>>
File: George_R_R_Martin.jpg (155 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
George_R_R_Martin.jpg
155 KB, 1500x1000
>>8018290
www.independent.co.uk/news/people/game-of-thrones-author-george-rr-martin-found-dead-9596265.html

Whelp I guess we don't need to worry about it anymore

Goodnight Sweet Prince
>>
>>8018290
If every one of these puritanistic fuccbois killed themselves, I wouldn't shed a tear. People like this are a dime a dozen where I live. Just goes to show you can read many of classics and gain absolutely nothing from them.
>>
>>8018290
>English
>special license
>"encourages difficult behavior"

Brits are the worst
>>
>>8018904
Don't give my hopes up.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.