[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
waiting for bojangles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
any frenchies read this? it seems like the kind of novel i would love. i wish america published more adult 'fun' type novels. tired of everything having to need some sinister undertone or melodrama

http://www.wsj.com/articles/waiting-for-bojangles-great-expectations-for-olivier-bourdeauts-debut-novel-1462810241?mod=e2tw
>>
>French critics have commended the novel as the perfect escape from the moroseness of a weak economy and an unpopular government.
I have a feeling this should be the future of literature now.
Imagine novels upon novels of fun, people acting carefree and unconstrained. I'd like this alot.

I can't wait to read this one. Do you have a french copy, OP? (yes in french)
>>
>>8017739
nope :(

but i do agree with your sentiment. though it is probably embarrassing to say i loved breakfast at tiffany's, but unfortunately current literature has moved in the complete opposite direction. that book was layered enough with just the right amount of nuance so as to leave you smiling at the character's plights, not worrying.

take something like zadie smith's NW, which is supposed to be a portrayal of modern northwest london. now i've never been to nw london, but from zadie smith's book i would be lead to believe it is an absolute dreary place full of neurotics. even the most carefree of characters, felix, gets a morose ending.

tao lin's taipei would lead you to believe that all 20 year olds in new york are stunted and detached yet just aware enough to be able to complain about it.

two just released novels about san Francisco, private citizens and i hate the internet, do pretty much the same thing, where the occasional dry humor is subverted by some -woah dark man- moments.

it's such a cop out.
>>
I get what you mean. Writing about woe is me, I'm such a sad lonely man is a lot easier than capturing the joy of life. Part of the reason why I enjoy the beats.
>>
>>8017952
the beats definitely aimed to do that, but imo they just weren't very good writers. artists, sure, but truman capote was head and shoulders above them when it came to capturing a party with words.
>>
>>8017912
Found this link but idk if it's complete.
http://www83.zippyshare.com/v/GiRVjnwJ/file.html

Waiting for 2018 for the English translation is a long time.
>>
>>8018354
let's translate it before the publisher and usurp the profits!
>>
>>8018971
Haha. I'm not that good with french. Maybe a frenchfag would want to translate 1-2 pages a week or something.
>>
bp0nm0
>>
« Certains ne deviennent jamais fou...Leurs vies doivent être bien ennuyeuses. » Charles Bukowski

bordel ça commence bien
>>
>>8019158
I can try to translate the first pages.
But I will need help: I have just enough experience translating text to know that it takes a long time. Therefore I need a native English speaker to correct all the mistakes that I will do and to smooth the translation.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.