[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Books about love
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: Romeo_and_juliet_brown.jpg (353 KB, 768x1119) Image search: [Google]
Romeo_and_juliet_brown.jpg
353 KB, 768x1119
/lit/ seems to know very much about nihilistic and pessimistic books but, what about books about love? Which are the best ones?
>>
Neurobiology textbook
>>
The Age of Innocence is the best option.
>>
>>8017159
lmao na but edgy brah, nice
>>
>>8017152
Libro de Buen Amor, by a Spanish priest
>>
Vita nuova di Dante Alighieri
>>
>>8017152
r u a gril?
>>
>>8017152
The Odyssey is largely about love. It's a guy going through all kinds of insanity just to get back to his waifu.

Plato's erotic dialogues - Symposium, Phaedrus, Phaedo.

Lucretius' book IV I think. It's an ancient atomist's materialistic account of love and sex, but it's really really good. Always gives me a boner. No joke.

Ovid, anything by Ovid of course. Metamorphoses has 53 rape scenes. What's up with that?

Sappho's fragments.

The gospel of John is all about love. Augustine's confessions.
>>
>>8019367
rape used to be a big part of life before the world went to shit
>>
>>8019367
>Ovid, anything by Ovid of course. Metamorphoses has 53 rape scenes.

oh i recall i quoted a rape scene from there to some people on /vg/
they didn't estimate
but w/e, even 'im the cat' is too deep for them, they can't udnerstand literature
>>
>>8017152
>implying books about love shouldn't be pessimistic or nihilistic
>>
>>8019654
sometimes you need a break
>>
>>8019654
Not all love ends badly, despite what 4chan or contemporary litfic would tell you.

Middlemarch is a great work featuring a good bit of romance, although one of the main endings is pretty bleak.
>>
The Angel in the House by Coventry Patmore
>>
95%+ of all literary classics are about love
>>
Read Xenophon's Oikonomikos, in particular the bit with Ischomachus telling Socrates about his perfect wife
>>
File: tSoW.jpg (24 KB, 225x346) Image search: [Google]
tSoW.jpg
24 KB, 225x346
I really enjoyed Mishima's “The Sound of Waves”. Adorable in its own way.
>>
>>8019367
Aren't half of them just vague "rapere"?
>>
>>8017152
Stendhal wrote a book entitled Love. Supposedly, it was his favorite out of his own works
>>
Sappho

Love shook my heart
like the wind on the mountain
rushing over the oak trees
>>
No Lolita? lel
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.