[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any writers that deal with the lack of alignment between
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: deep.jpg (102 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
deep.jpg
102 KB, 640x360
Are there any writers that deal with the lack of alignment between beliefs and actions and whether they are sincere beliefs if you don't act on them.

For example: I believe that I should, say, be sincerely loving and attentive when interacting with people but usually I am seemingly uncontrollably disinterested and mean spirited.

This seems like it might be what Kierkegaard talks about when dealing with subjective truth but maybe I'm off.

Any writers/books that deal with this ideas and how to stop/mitigate this interminable dissonance
>>
m
>>
Paul talks about it in Romans 7.
>>
>>8017180
that was terrible
>>
American Pyscho by Bret Easton Ellis covers social satire well if that is what you mean
>>
>>8017209
That is pretty evidently not what he means at all.

That being said op I can't think of anything that really tackles it. The concept does come up in Under the Volcano in a couple of ways -- the Consul's brother constantly wrestles with the feeling of being a hypocrite because he desires a sort of adventurous, romanticized life but can't stop acting like a pampered rich dude. You could argue that the Consul himself also suffers from it when he constantly acknowledges his need to improve his life but simultaneously sabotages himself, though that's a bit shakier. The novel doesn't really focus heavily on what you're looking for though, op. Just the only example I could think of.
>>
>>8017257
ty, sounds relevant
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.