[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKe 600qHEAg Do you agree w
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: tantric-buddha.jpg (123 KB, 400x533) Image search: [Google]
tantric-buddha.jpg
123 KB, 400x533
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKe600qHEAg

Do you agree with the School of Life on this one?
>>
In a sense. The difference is that Western "philosophy-religions" such as Buddhism are practiced every day. You can go to a Buddhist monastery and listen to the wisdom of a monk. You cannot, however, go to an epicurean commune to live a life as Epicurus. Western philosophy is studied as a "thing of the past", while eastern traditions are cultivated on a daily basis. Thus, they are more easily approachable.
>>
>>8016413
lel is the trivia about the whore true?
>>
>>8016413
Okay so the video spouts the cliché that the West is worthy in some way, not at all too despicable, with the fantasy that getting a user manual for the western philosophies would make people happy. He fails to see that the misery of the West is that they more or less understand that hedonism is a dead end, whereas these people refuse to stop being rationalist and keep seeking a way to seek a definition of ''a valid idea'', with the most pathetic attempt being the most recent one: the empirical proof which is explicitly dwelling even more in induction serving hedonism.
Now, with the failure of philosopher to find their truths, objectivity through the ratio, the asian doctrines feed nothing but the eternal hedonism of the humanity through their exoticism to the pleb who loves to think that she is a rationalist.
The good news is that the asians themselves are nothing but pure heodnists, but at least they do not pretend to know the secrets of the cosmos through the formals systems, about the nature (like the typical modern) or the societies (à la hegel) that the liberals and libertarians keep paying for form their scientists.
Of course, nobody wants to hear about the religious contemplation, but the religious guys do note that people are interested thanks to the discovery of the asian religions that the secularized middle class thinks as secularized religions compatible with the liberal mores (they are not and it explains the lack of result : as in our religions really, the morality of these religions must be applied before even beginning the contemplation, precisely because the morality helps the contemplation and because the contemplative life is has the output that the moral life, as rejection of hedonism, is the right in the end).
Asians can claim that they have a detailed manual to be better heodnist and in the end to even stop being a hedonist. Whereas the western pleb still dream of getting a fantasy structure that make hedonism compatible with their fantasy of altruism.

The change from a liberal structure above the individual is not possible in a liberal democracy, since there will always be somebody against you and it is would be poorly implemented (and you cannot force people to change just to change themselves, but you can only touch their ''legal rights'' or their wallets).
>>
>>8016551

I think that we must be radical in refusing any (super-)structure above the individual, in acknowledging that the rational motto that ''logically inferred statements are knowledge'' will always be undermined by the superiority of knowledge through direct sensations. This gears us towards mysticism, phenomenology, mediation, prayers, contemplation, whatever people call this where we can discover for ourself that we can be self-less, no longer self-centred, no longer self-interested; instead of the liberals trying to advocate for selflessness through the imposition of their legal rules (to other people who are seen, by them, as less selfless than them), but still remaining schizophrenic in claiming just after this that is a good thing precisely to express the self through enjoyment and careers...

Any structure will be always be seen arbitrary to more or less people and, once that these become vocal in the structure (but still remaining powerless), they will always be a threat. We must be more narcissistic in the sense that we focus more on knowing our self than on relying on faith in statements from whoever is seen as reliable at the time of our quest for knowledge (today the scientist, yesterday the religious institution). it is time to be narcissist without being selfish.
>>
>>8016413
>Aristotle doesn't give a shit about happiness
>what's eudaimonia

>the west doesn't give a shit about happiness
>the last 40 years all the west did was to pursue again the path made by Aristotle [Macintyre and others]

That bitch only follows the trendy new c00l age bs that most basic bitches follow. It's far easier to buy a bunch of fragrances, a yoga mat, a buda figurine and chop sticks than to sit down, study philosophy and indulge in critical thinking.
>>
me again (>>8016654)

I can't believe that someone actually replied to this bs with a whole paragraph. holy fuck
>>
>managed to get 1 post in before le angry r9k lads ruined it

better than most
>>
>>8016682
>he doesn't agree with me
>hahah, he's probably someone from a shit board
Ironic at best
>>
>>8016413
>falling for the east vs. west discourse
No thanks
>>
>>8016436
Btw, I meant "Eastern philosophy-religions". Damn.
>>
File: 1453871282119.jpg (179 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1453871282119.jpg
179 KB, 1920x1080
>>8016413
the west so crap that their philosopher claim that it is revolutionary to put phislophy into a practice again. And guess what, they have no idea how to practice anything, once they choose to stop babbling around. They try to avoid the mantras and meditation from the east, bu there is nothing else to do that this, once you choose to practice anything else than talking about your mental proliferation.
>>
File: 1459585386019.jpg (107 KB, 500x637) Image search: [Google]
1459585386019.jpg
107 KB, 500x637
>>8016413
I agree. It's important to know how and when to apply philosophy to different aspects of life. You can't know how to do this dexterously unless you've thought, or read, about why we do philosophy in the first place.
>>
>>8016812
>meditation belongs to the East™

fuck off lmao
>>
test
>>
>Miranda Kerr: 'I'm Christian' and 'I pray every day'
>>
>>8016654
The video is pretty explicit that it's not that the west doesn't have these approaches, but that for the most part the west as it is now doesn't tend to provide the sorts of institutions to help with those problems.

He even states that Aristotle is involved with the pursuit of meaningful living. As in referencing by name. Did you even watch the video?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.