[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Critical Theory or Independent Study
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
Is there any legitimacy to theory and cultural studies that would make it an academic program worth pursuing (as an undergraduate)?

Would I be better off forgoing theory, getting undergraduate training in, say, analytic philosophy, and reading into sociopolitical affairs, cultural and media studies, film theory, etc. on my own?

Something unrelated I learned today: Chomsky replies to every email he receives so long as it's not complete bait. Go figure.
>>
>>8015893
It's worthless because it's easier to acquire and you don't want to spend the next four years being slowly spoonfed with material you could get on your own in a matter of months. Get a real degree and eventually steal the target courses' bibliographies and syllabi in case you need a starting point.
>>
>>8015893

I'd go two years for a million dollars without internet or tv. How hard would that be? Just take a shitload of books and board games or fuck even some role playing games for fun.
>>
>>8015893
fucking obviously, what the fuck is 2 months for 1 million dollars?
it looks sweet as hell.
>>
you should learn literary theory and critical theory. however, many schools teach cultural theory/studies under the guise of critical theory which is super stupid.
>>
>>8015893
what did you ask chomsky about?
you should definitely get a degree within the field instead of being self-taught if you want a job within the field.
>>
>>8015893
>Chomsky replies to every email he receives so long as it's not complete bait.

No he doesnt, I don't know why people say this, I emailed him an abstract of a paper relating to linguistics and literature I was working on, never received a reply from him. Maybe there are legal/copyright issues involved in soliciting advice for a research paper. But I dont know why anyone hasn't given me a response. Bugs me a little but, oh well. He probably just replies to conversational emails.
>>
>>8015969
True

>>8015984
>>8015988
I think that's the joke

>>8015995
Genuinely curious - how so? Did you mean theory under the guise of cultural studies?

>>8015999
Asked him for his thoughts on theory. Said he didn't know enough about it to tell me anything. I'm planning on going to medical school (or doing computer science), so this is purely for my own interest.
>>
>>8015893
Absolutely, don't see why not, just take things with you to keep you busy and a friend would be a good idea.
>>
>>8015893
You want to be part of the School of Resentment?
The fuck why cyka blyat?
>>
>>8015893
Of course I'd pay a million dollars for a view like that!
>>
>>8015893
Just do analytic philosophy.

Critical theory and cultural studies is ironically the whitest, most bourgeois thing ever.
>>
>>8015893
I would do that for 5 years honestly. If I had enough time to stockpile hundreds of books and had food I don't really care.
>>
>>8016012
>or doing computer science
Why not just study CS instead of leftist sophistry?

Developers are in such high demand that even drop outs can make 100k starting in the bay area if they have a couple projects in their portfolio.
>>
>>8015893
I've done the OP for 3 years.... and I got no money for it.
I'm sure I'd be fine
>>
>>8017258
Furthermore, I would stay there for 2 months for free.
>>
>>8015893
Worth pursuing as an academic achievement? Probably I guess. Worth pursuing as something that will actually give you a career? Hell no
>>
>>8016008
He won't write back longish e-mails, so probably you need to be more specific. He's not going to write it for you bruv.

Most people who I know that had an email back got essentially a "Yes you're right" or a "No you're wrong" with a bit of elaboration.
>>
>>8016012
>Genuinely curious - how so? Did you mean theory under the guise of cultural studies?

no, I mean you think you're learning about literary history and criticism and techniques and what not and then it turns out to be a sjw ideology fest
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.