[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do so many plebs say the Iliad is boring? It's fucking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 51D5R5G-BcL._SS500_.jpg (44 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
51D5R5G-BcL._SS500_.jpg
44 KB, 500x500
Why do so many plebs say the Iliad is boring?

It's fucking awesome. It just might be the manliest literary work I've ever read.
>>
you have a containment board for this shit

>>8010109
>>
>>8015554
>reading for plot
>reading for enjoyment
>reading translations

>>>/r/books
>>
>>8015565

The Iliad predates the fantasy genre.
>>
The Tain is much manlier
>>
The Iliad is a cool and interesting epic poem.
>>
>>8015602
>>8015664
>>8015765
>>8015575

GTFO
>>
>>8015554
I think it's one of the most important works of literature too. It made me realize how important simile and comparison are when reading and/or writing.
>>
manly is code for boring pleb shit (romances, sagas, chansons, capeshit, genreshit, hemmingshit etc)
>>
File: ass.jpg (113 KB, 960x790) Image search: [Google]
ass.jpg
113 KB, 960x790
>>8015554
Is the aenid worth reading between the iliad and oddesy, or should I skip it?
>>
congrats on tainting a good book with your reddit post kid good job
fucking >manliest hahahahaha
>>
>>8016701
You should read the Aeneid after reading both the Homeric epics. Virgil basically tried to create his own version of Homer's epics, so you'll get a lot more out of books 1-6 after reading the Odyssey and books 7-12 after reading the Iliad.
>>
>>8016775

those cliffs of the sirens 'perilous of old' kind of killed it for me

what kind of epic is it if the author can't even hold the time scope. it's very clearly seen that it was made a thousand years past the heroic age

and anyway i have read the spoilers of aeneid in ovid's the methamorphoses...

may be i will read the rest of it one day, the journey to the hell was interesting albeit clearly different from homer's simplicity, that's the part which inspired dante after all and also it inspired the visions of future in orlando furioso and faerie queene, but the rest of the book seem as some boring political stuff so i stopped when they reached their destination in italy around the 7th book or so
>>
>>8016659
You probably read late 19th century novels you low test pussbag
>>
There is barely any characterization in this book, the endless boring details of battles and names and ships are a chore to read. I don't see why people claim this book is timeless or that it still resonates today - I found it difficult to care for a single character or what happened through the entire thing.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.