[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Bad problem: I buy books >As in, I only buy them. >I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 0001 - D7rMzsQ.gif (241 KB, 200x193) Image search: [Google]
0001 - D7rMzsQ.gif
241 KB, 200x193
>Bad problem: I buy books
>As in, I only buy them.
>I never read them.
I keep compulsively buying shit tons of books off Amazon when I get paid. I see good books and I go
>"Oh shit, I need to buy this! Oh and that!"
I have about 26 books right now in my backlog, with 12 more on the way.

Whenever I think of starting a book, I always hold off on it because of the following:
>I have no idea where to start
>I feel overwhelmed as fuck
>Feel too slow to start cutting through the books
But Jesus Christ, at this point I'm already a hoarding son of a bitch.

Should I seek help?
>>
You should learn to greentext properly before making a thread
>>
>>8015385
nah just keep buying more books retard.

maybe buy a bookshelf so you can take a picture and participate in those retarded bookshelf threads with the rest of the morons.
>>
I haven't fully read something in 3 months.
>>
File: eh suka.jpg (896 KB, 5697x2877) Image search: [Google]
eh suka.jpg
896 KB, 5697x2877
>>8015385
>Whenever I think of starting a book, I always hold off on it because of the following:
>>I have no idea where to start
>>I feel overwhelmed as fuck
>>Feel too slow to start cutting through the books

>I have no idea where to start
The first page. Then the second. This isn't hard.
>>
I haven't fully read a book in two years. I try to read but I only get halfway through and then get bored and play video games
>>
>>8015555
Gay. Nice quads though.
>>
>>8015385
It's depression
>>
>>8015385
>>8015581
Can confirm, senpaitachi. Just have to force yourself at some point, it gets easier afterwards. Bonus is you forget about how shit life is for a short while because you're immersed in a book.
>>
Read at least 30 pages daily and make it a routine, start with short books and work your way towards longer one.

I've been there, OP. Been stealing from a local bookshop for 6 months straight
>>
>>8015532
I feel the same. I purchased a lot of books too, but I can only flip through them. To get into the narratives just feel shallow.
>>
>>8015385
poor thing
>>
yep, it also gets bad when you're buying books trying to collect a series and you're buying them faster than reading them
>>
>>8015385
I do the same thing, except you know, I actually read the books. However, the rate at which I read does not match the rate at which I keep buying books every time I get paid. I have about 30 books on back log and I've read 3 so far. Should I keep buying books while I read or stop buying them and wait until I finish what I have?
>>
>>8016006
I do this, its sad but I can't stop myself because I think "I need to have the collection so I won't have to stop reading"
>>
Get a kindle? it might not help your hoarding habits because you'll probably load up 150 different books at a time, but you won't be wasting as much money if you do. Get a library membership, too.

Seriously, I only buy books if
1) they can't be read on a kindle (textbooks for example)
2) can't find in the library
3) need to have them for a long while and make notes

My backlog is only at 2 books right now, because I make sure to read what I buy.
>>
OP, I'm working through the same problem, but what's helped me is literally starting with the Greeks. I'm not even memeing here, started reading all the books by and about the ancient Greeks and Romans in my backlog.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.