[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best translations of Rilke? Specifically Duino Elegies.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
Best translations of Rilke? Specifically Duino Elegies.
>>
>>8014510
Rilke is trash and overrated by plebian tumblr women.
>>
That one kid in Gossip Girl liked Rilke. I'd pass on him desu.
>>
>>8014573
>>8014575

>If someone who I don't like enjoyed him, that means HES SHIT
>>
>>8014573
>>8014575
you both are fools
>>
>>8014575
>even knowing this
>>
>>8014622
>>8014640
I guess you enjoy overrated mawkish sentimental pleb poets
>>
>>8014510
http://www.amazon.com/Poetry-Rilke-German-Rainer-Maria/dp/0374235317

Seriously, I was kind of indifferent to Rilke until I got my hands on this translation. Snow has a way translating that really opens up Rilke's poems, especially the Elegies.

After you read this you'll start cringing when you see more standard translations of things splashed around the internet or in books.
>>
>>8014654
Never even read him.

But my point was that your reason for not reading him shouldnt be that. "popular people read him!!!"
>>
>>8014690
M8, I just think he's a shite poet that essentially stole poems from other obscure poets of his time. German scholars have demonstrated that he basically took from Trakl and Heym and Swedish poets. Rilke is a hack.
>>
>>8014698

Were you one of the first posters who said not to read him because he was popular?

If no, I wasn't even talking to you

If yes, you could have written this post first
>>
>>8014705
I rather shitpost than engage in discourse right off the back, t-b-h.
>>
>>8014698
you got anything tangible to go along with this, honestly I'd be interested to read about it if you got a link or a name
>>
>>8014680
Thank you. The Amazon reviews appear to be very negative though.
>>
>>8014711

>right off the back

It's "right off the bat" you stupid foreigner.

Go back to watching Hollywood films to try and pick up the language better.
>>
>>8014751
At least I can speak two languages, you monolingual dullard.
>>
>>8014766
But can you speak them well? You bilingual dimwit?
>>
>>8014794
Naturally, since I'm not retarded like you. However, I'm not even gunna try and excuse that solecism by saying that autocorrect determined "back" was appropriate in lieu of "bat", since we both know you'll deny any sincerity and truthfulness on my part.
>>
>>8014622
I liked that character actually.
>>
>>8014806
>Taken it to seriusly m8
>>
File: mcdonals.jpg (13 KB, 224x216) Image search: [Google]
mcdonals.jpg
13 KB, 224x216
>>8014806
>>
>>8014510
his pose strikes me as faggy. was he a fag?
>>
>>8014959
definitely a feminine pose.
highlighting the buttocks, as if to say "come fuck this"
>>
>>8014959
>>8014984
Calling a pose feminine or masculine is sexist.
>>
>>8014510
Stephen Mitchell's translation. Vintage International.
>>
>>8015335
men have all the rights to be penetrated like women :^)
>>
>>8014510
Pynchon's is very good. Most of it hasn't been published, unfortunately.
>>
Snow.

Nothing captures Rilke's attention to rhythm, but I like Snow because he doesn't care. He gives quite literal translations, which leaves the poetry choppy, but somehow it works really really well. It's more like reading Snow than reading Rilke, but I think the choppiness adds to Rilke's substance, and Rilke himself wrote with extreme staccato.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.