[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can anyone look at the Munchhausen trilemma (or think independently)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 267x189) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6 KB, 267x189
How can anyone look at the Munchhausen trilemma (or think independently) and think that any aspect of philosophy is non trivial? You literally can't. Everything Marx said was unfalsifiable garbage. The same with Nietzsche and so on.

When you see philosophers actually talk about real world topics it's clear that philosophy has given them literally zero additional tools for reasoning compared to a regular person. It's laughable.

It may sound like I'm being dismissive and elitist, and I am, but modern philosophical institutions such as universities and publishers are also elitist. They claim that their own areas of philosophy are worth debating but others aren't. According to them, Ethics is worthwhile (even after Hume, and every person of average or above intelligence knows about the is-ought problem) while "Philosophy of Doughnuts" isn't. There's plenty of unfalsifiable stuff you can say about doughnuts but there is a tonne of dogma surrounding institutions and they refuse to talk about what's worth talking about (not that there would be an answer, but no surprises that they don't risk the loss of importance / funding). Philosophy has become a very rigid circlejerk.

Treat my rants about philosophy and institutions separately.

I want to emphasise the Munchhausen trilemma but I may be accused of being a logical positivist. I know what's wrong with that, but then Godel has shown that a logical system has to be either incomplete or inconsistent, so every other system must be "flawed", but funny how this only gets used to dismiss systems that lower the potential for unfalsifiable circle jerking. If you bring up the Hegelian-Zizekian-Platonian Dialectical Jam Biscuit Capitalist Reasoning System then the academics will be in raptures.

So where does that leave us? Philosophy as a tool for pseudo intellectual posturing ("Oh look, I read about Aristotle's Physics in the original Greek!" and innumerable other examples). Can anyone convince me to think otherwise?

I know people will say that science and mathematics are part of philosophy and I agree that they are but I am clearly talking about all of philosophy apart from those two areas. Although the purview of philosophy is deemed to be so large that when I decide to go and have a shit then people will claim that that was an incredible example of philosophy (whether due to the resulting increase in world happiness or the aesthetics of my shit or infinite other reasons.)
>>
>>8013852
This is why universal literacy was a mistake.
>>
kill yourself
>>
>>8014175
>>
>>8013852
worst post I've ever seen on this board
>>
Umad?

Check your privilege.
>>
>>8013852
Yeah, the munchhausen trilemma becomes less of a problem if you aren't searching for truth.

PERSONALLY, I enjoy phillosophy, and I can think of numerous things I've read that have been "enlightening", that is I feel that because I've read those little bits, I can see "deeper", "further", "clearer" or whatever metaphor you want to employ.

Is it true? Impossible to know, but that could be a problem with the concept of truth or proof maybe.

I'll share a little section of Zizek that really helped me understand my own psychology better.

"... in contrast to the 'normal' subject, for whom the Law functions as the agency of prohibition which regulates his desire, for the pervert _the object of desire is Law itself_ - the Law is the ideal he is longing for, he wants to be fully acknowledged by the Law, integrated into its functioning.... The irony should not escape us: the pervert, this transgressor par excellence who purports to violate all rules of 'normal' and decent behavior, effectively longs for the very rule of Law"

After reading that I had an ephinany about my own "perverted behavior", constant challenging of authority and assumptions. It isn't because I hate rules, its because I can't stand the fact they aren't enforced. So I must flount them. Understanding this has been very "enlightening"
>>
OP is right you know.
>>
>>8016622
About what? The strawman he maniacally created?
>>
>>8016634
No
Contemporary phil is just a circle jerk for pseuds who are insecure about their level of intelligence.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.