[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else automatically feel like their writing is bad
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 220px-Exciton.png (13 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
220px-Exciton.png
13 KB, 220x220
Does anyone else automatically feel like their writing is bad whenever bits of modernish pop-culture get mixed in?

I'm writing a story where a main character is a mactard and no matter how good or bad my writing is, when I reference the brand (or a generic knock-off of it) it just feels shitty even though the presence of apple products has symbolic importance
>>
>>8013683
What symbolic importance could it possibly have? Original sin?
>>
>>8013683
Sorry about the Pomo :-(

To consider: don't reference the brand. Imagine that someone's reading it 100 years later and don't know anything about apples GUI. Don't reference a brand name or anything, show us what it is and why it's bad
>>
>>8013683
reference it in an ironic and self-aware way.
>>
>>8013683
>>8013683
you sound like chuck palahniuk or w.e the homos name is

Write from somewhere deep down, wana right fiction? cool, fictionalize your own sadness or your own voice, even fantasy novels or sci-fi novels about aliens billions of light years away generally revolve around characters with some traits of a personality even pat bateman had a personality and a soul, he was just at war with himself...

BE A SELFISH WRITER
BUT DO NOT WRITE SELFISHLY

There isnt a writer on earth who hasnt somehow written them selves into there own story, and if you think being a 'mactard' somehow helps your eternal struggle then idk mayb it will werk?
>>
>>8013691
But mainly what this guy said, dont write for the people you know, write for the people you've never met or the people who never wanted to meet you
>>
>>8013683
that is cause you are relying on the brand to do all the work for you

figure out what it is you want to say about this character by making him a "mactard" then reveal those aspects of his character in his behaviors, thought structure, the way he self-identifies

20 years ago using a mac connoted something completely different than it does today, and 20 years before that something entirely different as well. in twenty years time it will mean again, something else entirely
>>
>>8013689
She cuts a deal with the physical embodiment of gravity, who happens to be a snake, so the reference is kind of two-fold

>>8013704
>>8013708
I mean, I am but if feel ashamed of my own writing, should I be writing it?
>>
>>8013683

If your story is meant to reflect a universal theme: don't.
If it's meant to reflect your era or a theme pertaining to your time: do.

It all depends on what you want people to read you for. Do you want people in the future to read you like Fitzgerald- as a contemporary perspective of your time? Or do you want to be read like Melville- as a timeless voice on the human condition?

Both serve their purpose and are valid choices.
>>
>>8013723
write for yourself first and foremost, but use it to lash out, or show respect, you own the world man, its nobody elses, who cares what others think, are you ashamed of the smell of your own shit? No? Why? unless your a fetishest you dont upload photos of your shit or ask other people to rate its smell, writing IMO is as personal as taking a shit.. You dont have to share it, but you can, and if others like it, cool, if they dont, you cant change that, but even the greatest writers in history no doubt wrote thousands of books before getting the first chapter down for one that counted, just keep on writing, and most of all just be honest, your not a thespian, people dont care for how you want to come accross, they will see past and and into it, reveal all and you will learn more about yourself than ever
>>
>>8013691
and if brand names matter than heck do it.

First rule of writing club is

WRITE ABOUT WHAT U KNOW, not what u wish u knew or wat you think others will find interesting if you knew
>>
>>8013731
The former honestly. I was trying to do for modern physics what lewis caroll did for what was at the time modern mathematics. Of course my idea was significantly more complicated but the apple products meant something because apples themselves are the most symbolically dense object out there, especially in their relation to gravity
>>
>>8013759
anglo western imperialist detected
>>
>>8013766
well, apples are in the west anyway. Peaches fill the same role in east asia and pomegranates in greece and the middle east
>>
>>8013691
>Imagine that someone's reading it 100 years later and don't know anything about apples GUI

every book is part of its time, why fight this, there is no literature that's 'timeless', what a terrible meme
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.