[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, now that the dust has settled which one is better?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: orwell-huxley-world.png (393 KB, 1250x882) Image search: [Google]
orwell-huxley-world.png
393 KB, 1250x882
So, now that the dust has settled which one is better?
>>
>>8013235
If I have to choose between the two I'd go for BNW, but if you won't a better novel about authoritarianism read Demons by Dostoevsky
>>
I think the world as a whole is approaching an Orwellian dystopia while the USA is more Huxlean.
>>
>>8013248
>Demons
>authoritarianism
Care to elaborate?
>>
Both are garbage
>>
1984 is complete shit so BNW wins by default
>>
>IT'S THE GOVERNMENT'S FAULT MY FRIENDS AND I ARE TOTAL PLEBS
When will this meme end?
>>
File: We - Zamyatin.jpg (219 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
We - Zamyatin.jpg
219 KB, 1024x768
>>8013235
Orwell was the best guy ever.
>>
>>8013570
Why?
>>
>>8013235
1984 is written better, but BNW is the way our world is shifting to today.
>>
>>8013930
this. Orwell was the better storyteller, but Huxley's ideas are more interesting
>>
>>8013530
>P.C. culture
>not Orwellian
the rest of the world is just lagging, we're all going towards the Huxlean dystopia. The Orwellian is just the first step in that transition.
>>
>>8013530
DFW's IJ future is closest
>>
They're both mediocre, but I prefer 1984
BNW has some neat ideas but the characters and prose are shit and its ideas aren't explored enough, once I was done with it I was glad it was over.
>>
>>8014263
>implying the characters and prose of BNW are inferior to those of 1984

As someone who doesn't use the word often, this is the most p l e b thing I've ever read
>>
Huxley = more prescient
Orwell = better novelist
>>
>>8014289
They are, but not by much. It's not like 1984's characters are fucking outstanding. As said, both books are mediocre.
>>
>>8014289
BNW has the worst prose of any 'classic' i've read
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/10165456
>>
>>8014628
Seriously, I don't even like 1984 all that much but the Orwell's prose is leagues above Huxley's.
>>
The world is moving towards both at the same time.
>>
>1984
asia/africa are the whole world and social media is the SOLE factor of communication
>BNW
OMG PEOPLE WATCH TV WTF HABBENED PPL USED TO BE INTELLECTUALS!?!!?!
>>
>>8015322
>PPL USED TO BE INTELLECTUALS
No.Most people shit on all of higher knowledge.They don't care.
>>
>>8013235
1984. BNW second. The best dystopian work is the protocols of the learned elders of Zion. But you knew that already.
>>
>>8015320
Pleb
>>
>>8015322
>asia/africa are the whole world and social media is the SOLE factor of communication
how is any of this true/was predicted in 1984?
>>
>>8016203
>>8015678
Read OP's picture you idiots.

It reads like the work of a high schooler.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.