[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /lit/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
Suffering from a terrible writer's block for my novelette after 15k words. Please give me ideas, or just anything to pull me out of the slump.

The story takes place in the world where you can pre-incarcerate yourself to commit a crime later. You get immunity from prosecution and punishment for an amount equivalent to the time you served. The minimum is fourteen and the maximum is fifty.

In my story the main character just got out after serving fifty years, and everyone is scared for the crime he is about to commit. There are flashbacks to his past, and another guy with immunity is sent after him to stop him.

But I can't ascribe an awesome motive to him. There was an idea I was working on earlier, but in retrospect it seems weak compered to the immense amount of tension I've built up so far. I'm afraid it will be very anti-climatic. (Although I'm not looking for a critique at this stage, as I'm not finished, but I can share the first few chapters if you'd like to have a look.)

So please give me ideas- if such a thing existed, what could be the most mind-boggling thing you'd go in voluntarily for?
>>
Seems to me like with this setup, it would have to involve his personal relationships right around the time he committed himself. Of course, fast forward 50 years and even the youngest person he could've known is now middle aged.
>>
Or he started his sentence with the idea of committing a crime involving a personal relationship, but while in jail he became more and more dissatisfied with the society he lives in and in prison plans one of the most elaborate coup d'états in history.
>>
>>8013206
He went to jail when he was twelve (this law applies to juveniles).

The way the original plan went was like this: his father used to be a chemist and had partially synthesized a miracle drug that he had extracted from a plant/flower that blooms once in sixty years. The drug had major side effects, which he couldn't eliminate. Evil corporate bosses wanted him to reduce the side-effects, but he resisted, saying that if even one in ten people have a chance of experiencing it, he won't do it. They kill him and pass it off as suicide. Before that he is able to burn down all the samples of said plants from the company's nursery/lab.

The evil corporation gets another chemist to pretend to be a real estate agent and seduce the widow. He marries her and moves in. He is to find his notes, and the specimens that they suspect the original scientist hid.

But the new guy is unable to create a good copy, from the few vegetative stalks he could find from the scientist's old lab. He isn't able to replicate it, much less eliminate the side effect. He administers a dose to his step daughter (MC's step-sister, who MC loves a lot).

The step daughter starts showing symptoms and spurts of violence, where she has immense strength and resistance. In general, she is immune to many diseases and heals quickly. But the spasms of violence make it not worth it.

Long story short, step-daughter accidently kills her dad. Before dying, step-dad tells step-son (MC) and daughter to destroy all research and say that he ran away leaving them behind.

The company is furious, now that everything is gone. But they suspect that there is a "living specimen" and they suspect the MC to be it. They threaten the family, and MC straight goes and say, I am the specimen. But before they can get to him, he goes to jail and says "I wanna spend the next fifty years for a crime to commit in the future."

So tl;dr- he went to jail to divert attention from and protect his step-sister, who was the real "specimen". Incidentally, there are samples of the flower hidden in the wilderness and by the time he gets out, they'll be ready to bloom again. But I haven't decided what to do with that.
>>
Thanks for coming to /lit/, but aren't you a little famous to be coming to us, Mr. Pilkington?
>>
>>8013220
That would be great. Do you have any ideas in mind?
>>
He committed himself to prevent himself from carrying out a terrible crime because he is a predator by nature. Now that he is out and has already did the time, however, he feels the urge to actually do it since it will be consequence-free. Maybe he should stay in prison afterall...
>>
>>8013250
>KP Project 3
>>
>>8013189
He wants to kill the guy that raped him for fifty years straight in prison.
>>
Don't know how long this thread will stay up

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f0hF70pPrOTrGQfzP3ie6NWlzc0rzb1PfohQ-Iscbvw/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>8013189
During you typing of the first 15,000 words, did it once occur to you to the idea that he might change his mind during a fifty year sentence? You should consider a flat ending, where he doesn't commit the crime after much internal struggle and much debate while talking with other inmates. Or have steady flash forwards and flashbacks between his life and the world beforeand after his incarceration, and between standout incidents during his 50 years imprisonment of himself.
What about his family? Would they not visit him? Or maybe priests and other organizations, religious or not, could be consistently sponsored by the Self-Prisons in an attempt to desuade the prisoners.

15,000 words is a long ways into something to not give your character a motive, even if the story, and potentially the setting, and the thematics of 'self-imprisonment for future crimes' all have great opportunities lying in wait to be explored.
Just think into your own mind, or the mind if the character, and really feel how the world around him and his choices would be born and/or evolve.
>>
>>8013275
>go into prison for 50 years
>50 year exercise montage
>get out
>go to kill rapist
>he's dead

ooops i did it again
played with your heart
got lost in the game
>>
>>8013326
It was the first thing that occured to me. But I think it is a huge cop-out. It makes it deep, but it doesn't make it entertaining. It has already been done by Checkov in the short story "The Bet" which has a similar premise, but in a completely different context. Twilight Zone did their own version of Chekov's story, with more plot and less philosophy, but it spun it into their own style which made the ending more mainstream and acceptable.
Plus, in the explanation I've posted earlier, the backstory is that he wasn't planning to commit a crime, but rather escaping from criminals and keeping his sister away from harm. So his motivations are different.
But I think I really need to give him a scheme. Something sinister, chaotic, but good. That's why I'm stuck.
(And yes, I am guilty of not thinking it out from the start, but that just tends to get me stuck at 0 words, rather than 15k words. I have been thinking about it for a month since writing that much, and I'm still stuck.)
>>
/r/WritingPrompts/comments/478twg/wp_do_the_crime_do_the_time_but_the_reverse_is/

>[WP] Do the crime, do the time - but the reverse is also true, you can choose to serve jail time in advance of any crime you want to commit. After voluntarily spending 50 years in prison one individual is set to be released and the world watches in anticipation of whatever they do next.

>literally plebbit
>>
>>8013275
He should fall in love with his old acquaintance when he sees him in prison. They should have graphic gay sex for a decent part of the 308 pages. Oh yeah and he's a pool shark.
>>
>>8013492
I fail to see the problem
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.