[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can humans fly? Or do we just exist within another object that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1
File: 1462127809168.jpg (299 KB, 1296x986) Image search: [Google]
1462127809168.jpg
299 KB, 1296x986
Can humans fly?

Or do we just exist within another object that is flying in that moment of time.

Literature on this topic?
>>
>>8012210
Do I get bump or does the bump get me?
>>
>>8012210
I am curious as well.
>>
>>8012210
What the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>8012263
what do you mean
>>
>>8012276
Can you re-iterate? and what does your question have to do with the lady of shalott? Heck even she looks confused
>>
>>8012284
oh pic is irrelevant. can humans fly though?
>>
>>8012210
This is /lit/ btw, not a philosophy board, but are you asking if our bodys are merely vessels flying through time, a little soul carrying a corpse (epictetus) ... ?
>>
>>8012210
Aristotles scientific works
>>
>>8012293
I guess so, if you consider reality to merely the brains interpretation of our senses then hell yeah, try some mushrooms or mescaline even methamphetamine but if you mean literally, like birds, then I suggest you find the tallest building and put it to the test
>>
>>8012300
I mean like am I flying when I am in a plane? Does a plane even fly? Does the plane fly me?
>>
>>8012295
>This is /lit/ btw, not a philosophy board,

It was though and for a long time. But I guess its easier to submit to the wishes of our dictator, who, as we all know, is an expert at the delineation of subject topics.
>>
>>8012210
I'd be interested in any works that address this as well. So far I haven't come across any convincing argument for either option
>>
>>8012306
what? u lost me lol
>>
did u seriously ask if when one is on a plane we fly or the plane flies? what's wrong with u.
>>
>>8012295
/lit/ has become the de facto board to discuss philosophy, because /his/ has proved to be less suitable for it. Besides, philosophy and literature are intertwined and can barely be discussed separately from each other
>>
Do you live inside of a house, or does a house live inside of you?

flight is merely movement through air without support from any time of surface, flying is a broad term, technically you do not fly and cannot fly, it is the plane flying and you are simply inside of the plane, or perhaps you are the plane
>>
>>8012320
Would you say that the Earth is flying through space? In which case we are all flying right now.
>>
>>8012316
I know and agree completely but dont act as if the the OP should not have to atleast reference a piece of work directly, not blurt out some grade-school level statement then /r/ a book regarding it

>hurr start with the greeks nigga
>>
>>8012323
No, there is a difference between a constant state of motion and 'flying' the earth does not 'fly' through space, space is moving, the earth along with it, the earth is never in a state of rest or motionless in space, there is no 'surface' level
>>
Some birds fly near the height of a man standing, and when we run we'll barely touch the ground and spend most of our time during this in mid-air; Of course humans fly.
>>
>>8012327
Yeah, I won't deny that OP is rambling. I don't even understand his question. I was merely pointing out that philosophy is an accepted topic of discussion on this board.
>>
>>8012310
I'm saying that this was the home for all philosophical discussion on 4chan for a long time up until recently when the new owner changed it independently of community-wide discussion.
>>
>>8012334
If we were to construct massive propulsion jets on opposite sides of the Earth that allowed us to steer it out of its orbit and freely around the galaxy, would this be flying?
>>
>>8012323
>anything that requires an output of energy to move through air is flying
>anything powered by wind simply glides
>anything that does not relate to gravity is merely merely in a constant state of motion
>>
>>8012339
What you are saying is fantastical
>>
>>8012339
>>8012339
So technically the earth is and inst flying at the same time, because if you take into account what you are saying, then flying is relative, because even a bird technically isn't flying if the earth moving through space defines every object as a flying one... Im drunk as hell and probably looking to much into it but fuck it.
>>
>>8012339
also i minored in physics

Propulsive thrust: (except in gliders)
Lift: created by the reaction to an airflow
Drag: created by aerodynamic friction
Weight: (created by gravity)
Buoyancy: for lighter than air flight

copy pasta for u
>>
>>8012339
It would almost literally be falling with style. Being in space is a lot like being in a kind of free fall. Orbits are just things continuously falling around other things and so on.
>>
>>8012334
It depends on how you define your reference frame
>>
hey man jump from a window and post results.
i would but i'm unfortunately legless.
>>
Chinese Man thought experiment:

The human cannot fly, but neither can the plane. It needs a pilot. A strange plane might need no pilot, but a strange human might not need a plane. The human and the plane together can form something capable of flying. All categorisations of matter are arbitrary, because flight would be impossible without also having a planet and raw materials and workers and so on. It depends on how far you're abstracting things. If you want an answer, start with an absolute claim about what a specific group of matter can categorically do independently.

Can a human fly a plane without water? Can a human fly a plane without living? Can a human live without water? Where are your lines?
>>
Not unassisted
/thread
>>
humans can fly, its the landing after that causes biggest problems
>>
>>8012305
this isn't the question to be asking, because the plane flying relies heavily on the reality it operates within. The real question to this dilemma is whether or not there really is a plane to begin with. Because if there isn't, you're not flying it, neither is it flying you. It wouldn't be flying at all, since it wouldn't be at all. But because of the notion that there is nothing at all, then there is everything at all, because you don't do anything to it. You generate it, therefore it is as you see it. On the earth are many brains. and if there are no brains and there are no earth then all of the things residing in the respective brains are all one thing coordinating their seperation. so this plane would not exist only because you saw it that way, but because there is a collective baseline for existence. since it doesn't really matter what exists other than it is not nothing, then this world is totally okay in the way that it wouldn't make much a difference anyway. it wouldn't be real.

but it is. Right?
>it has to be
>>
>Can humans fly?

Yes, but not in the actual world.
>>
>>8014136
>actual word.

What a great term. I like it
>>
https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZDNgmdGMpuY
>>
>>8012210
Yeah we can fly. It's called a plane ass hat. Stop trying to be deep, you sound like you took a few too many bong rips
>>
Aquinas was able to float while he prayed.
>>
>>8015744

it was probably the legend which made boleslaw prus include a similar passage in his 'pharaoh', there was an egyptian high priest there, mefres, who prayed and asked others to watch if he floated during the prayer

prus also used the actual magic ritual to summon demons from peter de abano's grimoire of 13th-14th century in the same book (with the spirits looking as they described by cornelius agrippa, that's 16th century), imo the christian magic looked as anachronism there since the book was set before christ... ok it can be assumed as jewish magic or something, christ wasn't mentioned in the incantations iirc
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.