[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some of the best cosmic horror stories? I just finished
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: the-house-on-the-borderland.jpg (244 KB, 1078x1600) Image search: [Google]
the-house-on-the-borderland.jpg
244 KB, 1078x1600
What are some of the best cosmic horror stories? I just finished this and I loved it and would like to read more things like it. I've read the basic Lovecraft stuff.
>>
>>8010163
Other Hodgson stuff, of course (In TheNight Land is good), plus maybe The King in Yellow?
>>
>>8010311
I read he got blown up in WWI
>>
>>8010163
William Hope Hodgson wrote about a dozen short stories for his character Carnacki, a ghost finder/supernatural/occult detective. They are all collected in one volume by Wordsworth.

But I suspect you would enjoy some of Robert Howard's short stories. He was a peer and correspondent of Lovecraft's and prone to mimicking him in a more crude, comic-book fashion. Lots of barbarous tribes, strange deities, and magical objects - and the necronomicon.

There are several collections out there. One short story I will recommend in particular is 'Black Stone.' I suggest that this story's detail of a tribal sacrifice for a reptilian god would make many 4chan users feel queasy
>>
>>8010311
On the one hand, The Night Land is incredible; on the other hand, the pseudo-archaic Ye Olden Dayes diction renders it almost unreadable. Give it a try, I guess.
>>
>>8010452
Yes, and his biography is interesting in itself. joined the Royal Navy, opened a body building school (he would surely have browsed /fit and was a keen writer on physical fitness) had a run-in with Harry Houdini, enlisted as an infantryman during the Great War and died at Ypres after spurning a mandatory medical discharge.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.