[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which Hemingway best conveys the failure of masculinity?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 6
Which Hemingway best conveys the failure of masculinity?
>>
idk, maybe the one where the guy literally has no dick
>>
Hemmingway*
>>
Ernest Hemingway
>>
Ernst Hemp
>>
The one where the guy shoots himself in the face because he can't deal with electro therapy
>>
Indian Camp
Woman survives gruesome painful childbirth. Her husband can t take her screams and cuts his throat.
The Doctor and the Doctors wife.
Dads a lumber thief and a coward and a liar. Kid still loves his pathetic ass more than mom.
>>
File: hemingway-cookbook-xl.jpg (86 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
hemingway-cookbook-xl.jpg
86 KB, 960x640
Itt rare Hemingway
>>
Hemingway himself. Tried to be a tortured alcoholic writer who portraited the failure of masculinity but was a mediocre hack with the naivety and prose of a 13 year old instead.
>>
The Sun Also Rises

It literally displays how pathetic and useless a man is when deprived of his cock
>>
>>8010290
a thoughtful answer
>>8010278
a plebeian
>>
File: pbf006-the_man_with_no_penis.gif (23 KB, 450x150) Image search: [Google]
pbf006-the_man_with_no_penis.gif
23 KB, 450x150
>>
>>8010278
>Hemmingway
>Hack
>Because he's popular

Well, If he has the prose of a thirteen year old, I'd enjoy to see you best him. You must be at least 1 year older than that, musnt you?
>>
>>8010353
Yes
>>
>>8010299
Carver when edited by Lish is way better than Hemingay desu
>>
>>8010356
If you are this anon, >>8010278
Please show us how to write prose correctly as hemmingway was entirely too shitty to hack it
>>
>>8010361
you dont need to be a 5 star chef to know when food tastes bad
>>
>>8010357
Shots fired
>>
>>8010363

You don't need to be a 5 star chef to make food taste good either, but it saddens me that you are deflecting like this.
>>
>>8010361
>>8010363 This. The "if you don't like it why don't you do better?" argument is 13 yo tier. Like Hemingway's prose.
Also I don't write in English tho.
>>
>>8010363
>I can't give you an example of good writing, but I can certainly call anything I didn't like a piece of shit though!
>>
>>8010385
>>8010376
>>8010361
>>8010353
Kek it's already summertime aight?
>>
ernst hummingbird
>>
More like Ernest Flamingfaggot desu
>>
>>8010380

Well if you are older than thirteen I assume that you are implying that an adult could write better.

Show me.

>I don't write in English

So why bitch about authors in English then?
>>
>>8010394

Da summertime meme
>>
>>8010405
What do you want me to show you, you anklegazer? A sample of better writing than Hemingay's? Carver's. You fuck with him? Or, fuck it, this article. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36192836
I think the right thing to answer would be why do I think Hemingay's writing is shit, not what I consider good writing.
>So why bitch about authors in English then?
Why shouldn't I?
>>
I sucked Hemingway's cock for a sack of bulls, balls and bells, I got pics
>>
>>8010424

Perhaps I would ask you why you thought it was shit if I felt you were capable of giving me a coherent answer that didn't include the pedantic use of "Hemingay".

And why shouldn't you bitch about others in English if you don't write in English?

Because I assume that first of all you are copping out of actually showing off your presumably much better prose, and claiming you don't write in English, and because I believe you could go about shitting up some other board with your foreign talk
>>
>>8010424
>this level of English brokenness
The real reason why you should ever hope to read Hemmingway is because his prose style is "great and easy reading material for foreign language learners" so you might actually learn to fucking speak.
>>
>>8010278

I love this fucking meme
>>
>>8010424

Also, it seems your boy Carver seemed to "admire" Hemingway. So is he wrong or are you just being a contrarian faggot?
>>
>>8010443
>complaining about my "pedantic use of 'Hemingay'"
Fuck's sake, that's what I call butthurrrrrrrrrrt.
Also, even if I wrote my shit in English, why should it be better than Hemingsodomite's in order to make my disliking of it legitimate?
>>
>>8010457
Carver is cool because of his writing, not because of who did he admire. Fąåãäâág
>>
>>8010457
Also, it seems Nabokob seemed to disregard Hemingway. So is he wrong or are you just being a contrarian faggot?
>>
>>8010472
>disliking
>same as devaluing
yeah your argumentation skills really tend not to shine when you're arguing in a language in which even Hemmingway's prose is too hard for your reading comprehension.
>>
>>8010472
>Argues that using Hemingay like a fucking child is OK because I'm butthurt.

Are you 14 yourself?

Becuase you implied that it was the work of a 13 year old. Are you know Implying that you couldn't write better than a 13 year old?
>>
>>8010484

Nakobob was not in this discussion, and he was not the example of someone way better than Hemingway, Carter, who's style is often compared to Hemingway, was.
>>
>>8010488
>Becuase you implied that it was the work of a 13 year old. Are you know Implying that you couldn't write better than a 13 year old?
Well, I didn't imply the opposite.
>>
>>8010497
Carter II or III?
However, it's the same. Carver is cool because of his writing, not because he was a good critic.
>>
>>8010505

So if you can write better than Hemmingway, show us.
>>
>>8010511

>Carver's very similar style is somehow better than Hemmingway because reasons and at the same he knows nothing about good writing
>>
>>8010520
This frankly.
>>
>>8010487
Yeah, it's the same. I don't like Heminsexual's writing because I read it like this and like that, and I don't need to write any better in English in order to justify myself. You can say why you think Hemingay's prose is kool, but what you've been posting is just cringy rage from an ocious (not sure if this exists in English hahahahahaha) faggot just like myself. Your butt must be hell red my nizzle, you better take a rest or something.
>>
>>8010513
I didn't imply I could write better than Hemingsodomite, fuck's sake, can you handle double negation in your native language or is it too much for your monolingual burgermind?
>>
>>8010539

The only reason that you could make someones butt hurt is if your retarded comments made them laugh until they farted
>>
>>8010548

>Mocks English in his broken foreign talk
>Still felt some need to learn it
>>
>>8010520
Look my boi, imo Carver is hella better than Ernestito because of this main reason: his characters are human, average as fuck, miserable and credible in the same way as Gogol's or Chekhov's, while Hemingway's characters are just fucking cliches, plain encarnations of his childish ideal of defeated masculinity. Nigga just romantizes that ideal and makes every secondary character, intentionally/unintentionally hostile or contemplative, dance around it. Also he has traits Carver doesn't have. While Carver's conciseness consists on giving brief glimpses of information about the characters through situations that are naturally set up along the story, Hemingway just straight tells you. He sometimes even describes his characters phisically in a full paragraph.
>>
>>8010566

So much unneccesarry childish bullshit could have been avoided if you would have just said that earlier...
>>
>>8010558
I mocked your comprehension of your own language, f a g.
>>Becuase you implied that it was the work of a 13 year old. Are you know Implying that you couldn't write better than a 13 year old?
>Well, I didn't imply the opposite.
This last sentence was pretty easy even for a Hemingay fan.
>>
>>8010573
I was moderately drunk and somewhat entertained desu
However, you didn't ask why I thought Hemingay was shit, you just asked me to write better than him
>>
>>8010579

>I was drunk

Is that the excuse you'll give when people ask you why you never made something of your life?
>>
>>8010587
Yeah
>>
>>8010132
Are you trolling?
>>
>>8010566
Carver so much like gigol hurrrr chekov has real life characters duurrrr Hemingway a shit!

This is how fucking stupid you sound
>>
>>8010588
kek'd
>>
>>8010353
le "let's see you do better" may may
ebin
>>
>>8010590
Wew
dunno if you meant to write gigol but i chuckled
>>
>>8010594
Glad 2 hear dat
>>
>>8010595
Ebin may may u really really rekd my keks to heck my snek
>>
>>8010590
Kek you sound even more stupid that him mane, you didn't even try to defend Hemingway
>>
>>8010610
Yah bro because comparing Carver to chekov and gogol is a valid critique of Hemingway.

How?
>>
>>8010615
Kek, the comparison whas just a part of my critic. Gogol's and Chekhov's names were just dropped cuz they're writers who are somewhat similar to Carver, a writer that, as we both agree, is pretty close to Hemingway. However, I said things about Hemingway that can be taken even without the Carver comparison, but I'll understand if you just want to come up with passive-aggressive rethoric questions just because you ain't got shit to say. You're probably getting into bookz and you read The Old Man and The Sea this year so you gotta defend Hemingsodomite by any means.
>>
>>8010615

He said Carver had realistic characters, like Gogol or Chekov.

Fucking hell I don't know why I'm even responding here, everyone can see what you're doing because they've seen it a thousand times on here: guy who say's someone else's argument is stupid but refuses to even say why, get's called out and then responds with a post so off the point and stupid that nobody following the argument will respond, but people skimming the page might think you haven't just been BTFO'd
>>
The good news is that I'm op so you guys have been derailing my thread this whole time with this bullshit.
>>
>>8010666
FELIZ CUMPLEAÑOS
>>
Fuck, Imma sleep. Tomorrow I have shit to do. It's almost real nigga hours in here.
>>
>>8010278
Hemingway blended aristocracy with the heart and soul; working class humanity...

Hemingway was a man of an era long gone, an era some spoilt little bitch like yourself would interpret like that, simply because he wrote simply
>>
Fathers and Sons
>>
>>8012662
By Turgenev, of course
>>
>>8010184
post some hemingway approved recipes
>>
>masculinity
>failed
>>
>>8013173
How about failings?
For all the complaining done around here about how life is so shitty, how can you claim there's nothing wrong with the approach of of at least *some* forms of hyper-masculinity?
>>
>>8010290
This desu
>>
>>8013186
Dunno, havnt tried 'em yet. Seems masculinity is a better thing to go for then whatever creates nu-males.
>>
File: Nice melon.gif (197 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
Nice melon.gif
197 KB, 480x480
>>8013380
"nu-male" is a myth created by frogposting morons.
Homosexuals, bisexuals and just generally nice guys have been around since forever.
>>
>>8013395
nu-males cannot predate buddy holly and you are conflating frogposting (an honest profession) with /pol/ shaming tactics. Please lurk more before posting again.
>>
>>8013404
Says a pol-ist frogposter from r9k.
Stifle.
>>
>>8013395
nu-males have never had such social influence before the advent of the digital age
>>
>>8013415
So because footballers and drill sergeants aren't running the world anymore, things have gone to shit?
>>
>>8013432
Ya. People have gotten soft and when that happens bad things happen.
>>
File: Bernie doll.jpg (146 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
Bernie doll.jpg
146 KB, 640x960
>>8014869
>bad things happen.
Yeah. Footballers and drill sergeants get pissy and start to break stuff.

See you on the battle field, fucker.
>>
This thread is fucking terrible, no idea how this board still has posters.

>>8010129
I liked how A Farewell To Arms does it with the retreating from war thing.
>>
File: daphuc.jpg (28 KB, 323x410) Image search: [Google]
daphuc.jpg
28 KB, 323x410
WHATS GOING ON IN THIS THRAED
>>
>>8014922
The vocal minority of pol-ists are pushing their agenda again. All day e'eryday
>>
>>8014879
More like soft people fuck up giving rise to hard times, creating hard people. Question is, how do we maintain a constant turn out of hard people instead of the soft?
>>
>>8010394
>muh-muh-muh summer
>>
>>8010290
Shit it's been a while since I read that because I totally can't remember that part
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.