[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am going to coach you on how to write a short story by writing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7
File: 21william_shakespeare_grave.jpg (31 KB, 362x450) Image search: [Google]
21william_shakespeare_grave.jpg
31 KB, 362x450
I am going to coach you on how to write a short story by writing one in real time.
>>
Step 1. The pitch.

Come up with a few ideas, and then decide to go with one. For example

1. A cat finds out he likes dogs

2. A witch must save Christmas

3. A man must drink 9 sodas
>>
Step 2. Pick the pitch, and come out with a rough outline.

Now this will be the best part for most of you. You guys never finish shit. You start a million projects, and when the initial excitement wears off, you start getting lazy towards the end, and just start something else. As Gay Man says, you need to write, and you need to finish things.

This rough outline will help you the most with that. I know you heard Stevey KINGS just writes as he goes and would never preplot something out, but you should if you have problems finishing things.

It doesn't have to be super detailed. Pick a cool first sentence, describe the crux of the story, and have a vision for the final scene, all while trying to have some allegory behind the tale.

I'll go with the soda pitch.

1st sentence= "The modern human body can hold approximately 6 1/2 sodas at any given time, and I'm staring at 7 empty Dr Pepper bottles, and two full ones, while trying not to vomit."

The crux of the story is a man must drink 9 sodas or terrorists will kill his roach. The themes deal with how dangerous consumption is, and why we can sometimes do self destructive things for love.

The ending scene will involve the death of the character while watching his pet roach live.
>>
>>8010018
>>8010023
>>8010049
pls stop
>>
File: 1st-draft-shit.jpg (72 KB, 440x550) Image search: [Google]
1st-draft-shit.jpg
72 KB, 440x550
Step 3, first draft time.

Don't get caught up with this. This is the part where most of you lose steam, the initial excitement wears off, and you quit towards the end.

No one is going to see this. All first drafts are shit. You want to get the story down. You are going to fix it up later. It doesn't matter if it sucks. You are going to finish it later, and no one will see it. Just get the story down. So get it down.

The modern human body can hold approximately 6 1/2 sodas at any given time, and I'm staring at 7 empty Dr Pepper bottles, and two full ones, while trying not to vomit.

"You fat American bastard, finish those two Dr. Peppers, or we finish your little pet cockroach!".

These terrorists are not only dangerous, they are rude as well. I'm not even fat, I think they just assume because I'm American, that I'm somehow innately fat, despite not actually being physically fat. Rude, and dangerous. But I don't know if I can finish this task, I've got to appeal to their human side, if there is any left.

"Terrorists, please. Danny the Cockroach has nothing to do with any of this. Just let him be. I'll do anything, please, you can kill me. I'll kill for you. Strap the bomb to my chest, I'll blow up a whole fucking daycare, just don't kill my Danny!"

I look over to Danny, but his eyes are too tiny for me to read his emotions. The terrorists however are easy to read. Hatred might as well be braile.

"You finish those last two now. I will not say it again, americunt!". He picks up Danny between two fingers and says, "Now, or I crush the bug."

"No! I'll do it!"

I take the top off the 8th soda, and start chugging. It feels like it is about to come right back up, not as vomit, but just because it feels like there is no room left in my stomach. Danny. For Danny. I start sipping. A slow and steady sip. I feel like I'm about to pass out, but I finish, and drop the bottle.

I untwist the cap from the final soda, knowing it may be the last thing I ever drink. I could quit. Danny wouldn't fault me, would he? No. I'm his Lord. His protector He was eating garbage before I met him, and I won't have this end that way.

I start chugging. I feel carbonated blood fizzle from my ears. 25% done. My left eye bursts, and Dr Pepper starts fizzing out. I stare at Danny, afraid the other eye will soon go, and I won't see him again. I see cockroach tears dripping from his head. 75% finished.

"Finish it now, or the roaqch dies!"

I hesistate, and then take one final chug. I've finished the final bottle, and I drop it to the floor.

"Please. You said you'd let him go."

As he drops Danny to the floor, my belly explodes, intestines spray out, with traces of Dr Pepper surrounding the explosion. I fall to the ground. I start to black out.

"Danny. :ive. Live."
>>
Step 4, writing break for succ:

SUCC
>>
step 5: make a shitty post on /lit/ despite your life not being worth living (post cancerous quotes while you do this)

step 6: end your life
>>
>>8010112
I chuckled
>>
>>8010018
Keep going
>>
>>8011070
Which brings us to step 4. The beta reader. The beta reader will not rewrite your story, but can often give you some feedback about the story, and help steer you in some edits. For example, this reader thought it was somewhat humorous.
>>
>>8010049
>know you heard Stevey KINGS just writes as he goes and would never preplot something out, but you should if you have problems finishing things.
This is known as the waterfall method and is actually pretty bad for getting things finished. It is great for making you feel like you got shit done tho.
>>
File: 1457348043856.png (450 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1457348043856.png
450 KB, 600x450
>>
>>8012140
I don't believe that was Willy.
>>
>>8010049
>a man must drink 9 sodas or terrorists will kill his roach
Mighty kek
>>
>>8012438
noooo, not my roach!!!1111
>>
>>8012419
well, who was it then??
>>
Step 5 would be putting it up for a bit, maybe a week for a short story, and get working on something else. A new story, or editing an older one. This gives you some distance from the work.

Step 6, go back in and revise, rewrite, edit. Don't go overboard with this, editing it the 12th time isn't going to change it much more than editing it the 3rd time. Eventually it's just gotta be finished.

And congrats. You've written a short story. Start submitting it, self publish, or share it with /lit.

Your'e very welcome.
>>
File: 1460474891849.jpg (17 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1460474891849.jpg
17 KB, 250x250
>>8011088
I hope I've inspired YOU to keep going. Excelsior!
>>
What the fuck even
You're not wrong... But holy shit the actual story
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.