[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is bookdepository so fucking expensive? You can get the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5
File: infinitememe.jpg (83 KB, 580x414) Image search: [Google]
infinitememe.jpg
83 KB, 580x414
Why is bookdepository so fucking expensive?

You can get the same book from amazon for $10.
>>
>>8009792
Great question.
>>
>>8009792
Some things just are.
>>
People on /lit/ like to pretend there's some problem with amazon.
>>
Bookdepository was founded by an ex-amazon guy and was bought by amazon in 2011.

For this reason books on bookdepository will often be 1 cent less expensive than the equivalent sold directly by amazon.

I don't know what's up with Infinite Jest though.

Recently bookdepository lost a book I bougt in the mail, but I wrote an email and they quickly sent another copy that I'm currently waiting for, I hope for their sake it's not a different edition or some bullshit
>>
>>8009820
There is if you're not from America.
>>
>>8009824
Anybody can post used books for sale on amazon and they often go one cent below the lowest sale price.

So, the last word in your post summates your post nicely.
>>
>>8009792
Then get it from fucking Amazon, you nig nog.
>>
>>8009792
>wanting to get the worst edition
>>
How does /lit/ feel about AbeBooks?

>>8009853
Nobody mentioned used books as far as I can tell, but buying used books from amazon is not a thing anyone should ever do, those people will claim they have one edition and then send a different one that looks like shit.

On ebay they at least take pictures of their book.
>>
>>8009870
Literally just placed an order with them. They had a copy of Women and Men listed for $1 so I ordered it thinking I was going to get scammed but it was worth the risk. They told me the price was wrong, cancelled the order, and gave me a significant discount on my next order. Pretty good customer service.
>>
>>8009870
*smooths out your tinfoil hat*
>>
>>8009880
Abe Books is independent sellers. I don't think one experience is enough to judge their service by.
>>
>>8009915
I agree. They have reviews for different sellers though so you can try to minimize the issues. Plus, the discount was from Abe Books, not the seller and is good on a purchase from any seller.
>>
>>8009792
because that's an old version that is no longer in print. the one you can get on amazon for 10 dollars is the new 20th anniversary one
>>
>>8009792
This is my favourite edition tbqh famalam.
>>
>>8009929
wrong

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0316066524
>>
File: DDRLKPK.jpg (666 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
DDRLKPK.jpg
666 KB, 2448x3264
>>8009935
same
>>
>>8009927
All successful websites have reviews for different sellers.

I got a ten dollar credit from amazon because they didn't have an item on my grocery list. I also got an extra month of unlimited free 2-day shipping because a delivery was one day late.
>>
>>8009792
But no shipping and handling. As for someone over the pond, its a fucking godsend.
>>
>>8009945
wtf am I reading ?
>>
>>8009945
The typesetting errors are irritating but this edition has the best coverart, margins, page size, and font. It's the one I most associate with Infinite Jest. You can tell it was made to be sticky noted and scribbled in.
>>
That's the OLD edition. A relic. Practically a collector's items by now.
>>
>>8009989
But you can get it on $10 from amazon.
>>
>>8010022
Do not post at me
>>
>>8010032
suck my fucking dick you fucking retard
>>
mods////
>>
>>8009880
That's pretty good. Other companies would have probably bit the bullet and sold it for a dollar though, unless there was a "we are not responsible for typographical errors in advertisement" somewhere on the site.
>>
>>8009984
This. Mine was completely fucked from dragging it around for the month and a half when I was reading it. Coffee stains and blood from paper cuts.
>>
>>8010119
It wasn't on Abe Books to do that though, actual seller is the one that cancelled my order due to the mistaken price. Abe Books is the host site and they compensated me for the independent seller's fuck up.
>>
>>8009828
Amazon is good for bulk orders if you are not from US.
And look at Recognitions, it's 30 euros on bd, and 12usd on amazon. Cheaper even with shipping and everything else.
>>
>>8010183
Recognitions is 18,73€ on bd and $12.56 amazon because it's on sale and ususally costs $19.95 (same edition, shipping not included)

u dip
>>
It's good for international buyers

Most of the time shipping costs fuck me up
>>
File: Recognitions _ Book Depository.png (69 KB, 183x405) Image search: [Google]
Recognitions _ Book Depository.png
69 KB, 183x405
>>8010206
That's cheap, but bd doesn't have same prices eveywhere. Where are you from?
>>
>>8009820

why give your money to amazon and whoever owns the rights to DFW's works now? pirate this shit, it's everywhere.
>>
>>8010390
I can't read books that way.
>>
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 133x269) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 133x269
>>8010352
That's interesting, I had no idea
Is that how they offer free shipping everywhere?

I'm in Germany, so relatively close to the UK
>>
>>8010426

fair point, I do actually feel like the magic/tedium of the footnotes is lost on e-readers. if you haven't tried e-ink though, give it a shot. you can get used kindle paperwhites for like $30 on ebay.
>>
File: 71qVoGNiLcL._SL1000_.jpg (152 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
71qVoGNiLcL._SL1000_.jpg
152 KB, 1000x1000
>>8010426
Retard.
>>
>>8010445
>>8010454
Kindles are garbage, fuck off back to amazon
>>
>>8010464

the fuck is wrong with you? kindles > any e-reader
>>
>>8010474
>this shit is much superior to this other shit!

Shit is still shit
>>
>>8010480
Kill yourself.
>>
>>8010474
>shilling
Shill
>>
>>8010428
Well, I'm from Serbia, so not that far either. But when they merged .co.uk and .com they pumped the prices up like this. And since amazon bought bd I believe they want to send more customers towards amazon, hence the higher prices.
>>
>>8010480

>shit opinion says it's shit

come on, bruh
>>
>>8010474
kindle exactly = any other e-ink reader
they're all good and perfect piracy-enablers
>>
>>8010498
Did you read Infinite Jest?
>>
>>8010538
This guy knows. Except if your reader has a backlit display. Backlit display piracy machine > other e-readers.
>>
>>8009942
its used though, you idiot. OP's pic is a new book.
>>
>>8010567
>$9.99
>New
>NEW* In Stock GUARANTEE * Shipped by AMAZON USA Warehouses * FREE...
>>
>>8009792
free shipping around the globe
often a better deal for non-americans
>>
>>8010576
That's not sold directly by amazon, but by the third party "Read All About It Books"

They will in all likelihood send you the almost identical but much less expensive reprint or are trying to get rid of their stock of meme books that nobody wants to buy
>>
>>8010586
>They will in all likelihood send you the almost identical but much less expensive reprint
*tips tinfoil hat*
>>
Did anyone use this site before? http://www.thriftbooks.com/

How are they?
>>
It's the cheapest place to get books in Australia though.
>>
>>8012319
They are alright, ordered some books from them once and got them.

Books are very cheap, but it's called ThriftBooks for a reason, some books have markings in them and stuff.

I got an edition of Plato's Republic though, turns out it's in very good condition and I'm satisfied with that purchase

The reason I don't use them more often is that they charge me 5 shekels shipping for every book in an order
>>
BD prices seem to be a bit random. Sometimes they're way cheaper, other times way more expensive than amazon.

Also keep in mind that they do regional pricing. I'm from yurop and using a US proxy usually decreases prices by ~20%.

I suggest using BookFinder to shop around for prices.
>>
Amazon is fucking garbage if you live outside of North America or Great Britain.
>>
>>8009824
lmao what if you get a wordsworth classic
>>
I don't know about you, but for me in Australia bookdepository is pretty fucking cheap, so I get all my books from there.
>>
>>8010554
Not yet. Why?
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.