[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think of A song of Ice and Fire? Got all 5 books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: ASoIaFFiveBooks.jpg (150 KB, 824x901) Image search: [Google]
ASoIaFFiveBooks.jpg
150 KB, 824x901
What does /lit/ think of A song of Ice and Fire?
Got all 5 books today and so far i'm really enjoying it.
>>
/lit/ hates it because they don't like reading for fun. They like "good writing" whatever that's supposed to mean.
>>
>>8009593
Wow
/lit/ sounds like shit
>>
>>8009593
Immature reader detected. Once you learn for interpretation, you don't go back to escapism.
>>
Three words: Hella. Freakin'. Epic.
>>
>>8009587

Honestly? I don't know, i haven't read the best literature yet so i won't bother with lesser literature.
I'm happy you are enjoying it.
>>
I've read them all, its a great series. Book 4 is kinda slow, but its really worth reading them
>>
>>8009587
they're okay, but once you pick the characters that you really want to follow, the rest gets a bit boring. granted I'm only 1/4th into book 2 and have been for about a year.
>>
>>8009782
>>8009800
This. It really starts to drag. The first half of Storm of Swords is the first sign of this, but it really picks up in the second half. Four was just incredibly slow all around and felt like a book just full of setup for later plots. I'm not quite finished with five, but unless the last few hundred pages are fantastic, it's the slowest thing I've ever read. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't give a fuck about Dorne or anyone from there.

Thank God he split up 4 and 5 and made two pretty slow books instead of one book that was nothing but intro chapters.
>>
>>8009593
hello rêddit!
>>
>>8009626
This
Don't listen to what /lit/ tells its a comfy book with lots of epic moments
It's what got me into the fantasy genre
>>
>>8009587
It's like "Bold and Beautiful" or "Naruto" or any other long series of any medium. It's fun when you get into it, but it doesn't really enrich you. It's just fun, nothing more, nothing less.
But I lost all hype.
>>
OP, what you should do on a tuesday night is:
>read a real book tonight until 4 am
>sleep a couple hours, go to work/school/for a walk
>come back to your house: you have your weekend free
>you should feel this back of the eyeball tiredness and need to sleep
>have a cosy nap until about 5pm
>when you wake up, without moving too much, roll yourself into a comforter and grab your game of thrones book
>read it with a cup of cocoa in between naps

It works best if you keep your window open with crickets chirping in the warm of the day, or if at night the wind outside is making your shutters bang against the wall while you're inside all tucked up with a small lamp lighting your page.
>>
>>8009830
Same here
>>
>>8009815
Yeah, I couldnt care less about Dorne
>>
File: fat writers on writing.jpg (1 MB, 2804x1716) Image search: [Google]
fat writers on writing.jpg
1 MB, 2804x1716
>>8009593
>They like "good writing" whatever that's supposed to mean.
They suck ass. GRRM is so fat he's going to die before he finishes his last book just like Robert Jordan. Which is ironic, really. He's literally going to die before he finishes his shitty book series, a series famous for people dying.
>>
File: mlklk.gif (10 KB, 279x305) Image search: [Google]
mlklk.gif
10 KB, 279x305
>>8009587

/lit/ users are mostly young, inexperienced readers who pride themselves in and base their identity on reading a lot of books. Since their enjoyment of themselves is still greater than their enjoyment of books, they love to brag about all the difficult, inaccessible classics they've read and hate on anything popular and fun. Ironically the writers they admire the most (David Foster Wallace, Thomas Pynchon, James Joyce, Max Stirner) always derided this kind of cultural elitism. DFW's favorite book was The Stand by Stephen King.

I wonder why Bourdieu isn't a meme on this forum.

All things said and done, A Song of Ice and Fire is pretty good. It's got lots of well-done and varied characters, is suspenseful and full of surprises, explores some interesting themes (problem of evil), and has prose that competently evokes the different places and environments. The two last books have not been as good as the first three though. There are too many plot threads, many of which are not very interesting, and the pacing has become too slow.
>>
the first 3 are pretty good. 4 and 5 are slow and each storyline feels too isolated and the characters he introduces to make up for the ones he kills are just not as interesting. enjoyable read overall.
>>
>>8009831
Oh my God, that sounds so comfy. I'd personally replace the cocoa with a cold drink however.
>>
>>8009593
damn, couldnt have written better bait myself
>>
>>8009831
Why did you post that?
>>
>>8010117
>>8009831

and I'd replace it with some nice brandy.
>>
>>8009587
H+L=J
>>
>>8010130
Howland + Lyanna = Jon?
>>
these books are a fucking slog
>>
>>8010126
And a good book
>>
>>8009587
They're better as a show. GRRM should have stayed as a TV writer.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.