[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do I need to read to get into analytic philosophy and fancy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 209x241) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 209x241
What do I need to read to get into analytic philosophy and fancy kinds of logic?
>>
Go to university
>>
>>8009165
I am in university. My uni's philosophy department is purged of anything analytic.
>>
For logic,
>>8008176
For analytic philosophy,
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~ssmoss/moss%20404%20syllabus.pdf
do at least the readings in bold.
>>
>>8009190
are you anglosphere?
i don't believe, if so
>>
>>8009197
yep. not all anglo universities are analytic. it all depends on the little clique the head of the phil department forms
>>
>>8009157
Read textbooks on logic. Sider (2010) is a good one to start with, it's intended as a sort of overview to give philosophical competence. After that more in depth texts on propositional/predicate/modal logic, their proof systems, and their associated meta-logics (there should be sources for these in Sider's text). Then texts explaining variations and extensions -- multi-valued logic, free logic, higher order logic, etc.

Then if you're really hungry, go right back to the sources -- Boole, Russell, Frege, Gödel, Lukasiewicz, Kripke, and so on.

When you get tired of learning the ropes, in between read Scott Soames' 'The Analytic Tradition in Philosophy.' Build up a bibliography of critical papers, learn to cross-reference them. If you're serious, every day it will all get slightly easier.

Then, finally, seek out problems that genuinely interest you and see how the tools you've acquired apply to them by looking at a very specialized area of recent literature.

And finally finally, contribute to that literature. :^)
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.