[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What book are you currently stuck with and why? Gulliver's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 342281652586386.jpg (67 KB, 611x600) Image search: [Google]
342281652586386.jpg
67 KB, 611x600
What book are you currently stuck with and why?

Gulliver's Travels here. I loved it the first time I read it, but now it looks too bloody sterile and artificial. He goes on and on describing events as if he were writing some sort of practical manual and many parts of the book are too shallow - the discussio with the king in Brobdingnag, for instance, is just the type of criticism that you expect to find in some sort of newspaper or something.

I still enjoyed some of it very much, such as the description of the fight with the rats and the way that birds would simply remove food from his mouth. But, in general, I haven't enjoyed it nearly as much as I did the first time.

Also, I can only read one book at a time for some reason, so it kills me whenever I get stuck in a particular book. Anyone else has this problem?
>>
Bump. I'm feeling sad.
>>
>>8008875
yes i have this problem too. do you recommend reading gulliver's travel at least once?
>>
Im 60 pg into brave new world and im feeling burdened to continue and finish
>>
The prophets' books of the Bible
>>
>>8008951
Yes, I do, because of it's importance.

Personally, however, if I were Swift I would have cut it in half.
>>
>>8008959
It doesn't get any better.
>>
White noise.
I'm one third in and nothing really happens, the Heinrich kid is amuzing but that's pretty much it
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.