[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best fantasy location?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: gollancz-chroniclesofconan.jpg (38 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
gollancz-chroniclesofconan.jpg
38 KB, 333x500
New to fantasy books. What writer had the most immersive, put together world. Tolkien's middle earth? Robert E. Howards Hyborian age? Or R.A. Salvatore's adventures in Faerun? Whats your favorite world? Other suggestions much appreciated. Must be multiple books in a setting.
>>
My vote is Faerun. I'm well aware Salvatore did not create this world. But the amount of books in the Forgotten Realms is staggering. Plus you can grab a D&D monster manual to look up pictures of the villains in any book. Love it.
>>
In terms of sheer worldbuilding, Tolkien has never been topped. Robert E. Howard's Hyborian age is not really about the WORLD - his approach to geography, history and ethnography was that he simply threw in what he needed when he needed it, and didn't give a damn if it meshed with everything else or not. Would it be cool if Conan crossed a desert now? Fine, the next thing on the horizon is a desert. That's not to say that the stories are BAD, because they're quite good, but they're about different things.

Salvatore is just trash.

Another series that has a vast, detailed world that nevertheless feels very comfortable and familiar is Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Though be warned, that series is VERY long, and there are books that are slow and kinda boring because very little plot development happens in them. It picks up toward the end, though.
>>
>>>/v/
>>
>>8008317
Thanks I'm going to look it up right now. R.A Salvatore is a very popular author and I actually enjoyed the Drizzt tales. I also suggest Patrick Rothfuss King killer chronicles.
>>
>>8008328
>Pretentious
Of course the pseud doesn't know what that word means.
>>
>>8008317
>recommending Wheel of Time
>Past the first few
Come on.

Wheel of Time has trash characters and quickly becomes worse every book
>>
>>8008869
Only if you stopped at 10. Most of the characters become better during the slow books (7-10), and then 11 gets the series going again.
>>
>>8009140
Why would you willingly go through 3500 pages of mediocrity before the characters start developing into something decent?
And then another 2000 extra pages before it becomes decent again
>>
>>8008304

>caring about world

pleb detected
>>
>>8009184
Just different taste. I found all but 8 and 10 enjoyable, although 10 was slightly entertaining in a way that wasn't intended.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.