[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How's the writing career going, /lit/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
File: feels.png (5 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
feels.png
5 KB, 645x773
How's the writing career going, /lit/?
>>
No one ever responds in the critique threads so I don't know ;_;
>>
File: 1454533730957.jpg (8 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1454533730957.jpg
8 KB, 225x225
starting a book on a topic i'm not 100% sure about, so i feel like i'm not supposed to be writing about it

but yet i write
>>
81 pages into my great American novel. 2-3 more years to ago at this rate. Then I have to figure out how to sell it.
>>
It's not
>>
File: the mask.png (148 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
the mask.png
148 KB, 800x600
627 words into my short story, not much but better than 0
>>
I feel I'm better writing short stories than novels. But the market is in novel writing and nigga gotta eat
>>
>>8008011
Link me faggot
>>
File: CVQXp_qW4AADHid.jpg (28 KB, 243x483) Image search: [Google]
CVQXp_qW4AADHid.jpg
28 KB, 243x483
>>8008006
I've been writing down notes for a good 3 years now. Haven't started writing the actual book though.

I'm waiting for that day when I read an essay I wrote and think "hey, the prose are actually not bad."

I know no one will buy it when I do finish it, so there's no rush. I'll finish it someday. I'll probably be in my late 50's or early 60's tbqh.
>>
>>8008037
>But the market is in novel writing
Lol. Maybe for 2% of novelists
>>
>>8008006
I got a good idea for A dark YA novel
>>
>>8008006
I think I've stumbled on one of (if not greatest, then) my biggest faults: I can't imagine characters with dimension or depth.

Recently, I was contemplating how best to lie to a friend, where the lie would have a 30-45% invention to 55-70% truth ratio, to create an atmosphere of controlled fantasy where I could pull the plug whenever I wanted/needed to while also delighted in my artifice. I suddenly realized I had never, not I could ever, imagine a situation where a character of mine would have levels of projection, doubt and inventiveness to match my predicament.
I know what you're thinking: autism. But, think of George Eliot, Trollope, Dickens for fuck's sake. Hell, Kafka spells it out a couple of times.
>>
>>8008006
in grad school, getting paid to write shitty term papers, lol. it's great.
>>
>>8008006
Alright. I have a few publications in alright journals, won an award that paid a bit of money, and I'm shopping a story around right now that has been getting a lot of positive feedback.So far so good for 23, imo.
>>
>>8008069
not him but read my shitty shit
http://pastebin.com/eCt7KmdV
(protip it's shit)
>>
File: playitagainsam.jpg (972 KB, 1011x1304) Image search: [Google]
playitagainsam.jpg
972 KB, 1011x1304
I've written and self-published four novels and two short story collections to this date. Sold about fifteen copies so far. I guess that's better than expected.
>>
>>8008128
How doe sit feel to live in delusion? kek
>>
>>8008006
I've officially received 105 rejections via submittable.
>>
>>8008006
Novel has been written, torn down to the foundation, rewritten, and is currently back to square one. Really optimistic that the final product will be good, but it's still discouraging.
>>
>>8008157
How many accepts?
>>8008162
Sounds awful
>>
>>8008031
What rate do you write at?
>>
>>8008166
>sounds awful
Fuck you, hack.
>>
>>8008069
This is the real me and not someone barging in rudely
>>8006376
>>
I once got 'you got talent but you're squandering it' in a crit thread which was nice
>>
I've been planning and researching a novel for two years. I even made a start on it but realized I wasn't ready. I keep getting the urge to start on it again but I quickly realize how much more research I think I need and I feel like I'm kidding myself.
>>
Didn't write shit for one month, and it's going to keep like that for three weeks at least because I want to stay focused on exams and shit. However, I have several ideas for short stories, although none of them is clearly defined yet. Sent three short stories to contests a couple months ago, I'll know the verdict of one of them in 10 days.
>>
I work as a copywriter for a living, which is shit but at least allows me to practice a few elements of writing every day.

My first novel is on its third separate draft and is three years in the planning. It's all the better for it.
>>
>>8008162
This is good. You are able to see your faults. I just hope you know when to stop.

>>8008137
What are they about?

>>8008071
>I'm waiting for that day when I read an essay I wrote and think "hey, the prose are actually not bad."

Just start writing you cretin. It's a skill like any other that requires practice to master. Essay writing =/= creative writing, so unless your book is a collection of essays, you're waiting for something that will never happen.
>>
>>8008006
several novels finished in my head, none on paper
>>
>>8008006
not bad
i'm mid-way through a three-month contract
it's not very exciting but it pays well enough and i only need to go into the office one day a week
>>
>>8008409
>What are they about?

If I were to describe the first four as essays on various psychological phenomena veiled as semi-humorous, supernatural detective stories, you would be imagining something completely different, but that's essentially what they are.

Then there are two that are basically science fiction fantasy blockbusters in a literary format.
>>
File: 9YSxdlM.gif (896 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
9YSxdlM.gif
896 KB, 500x750
>tfw had a story rejected by Prairie Schooner

They waited two weeks longer than their standard four month reporting time to do it. I actually thought I had a shot.
>>
>>8009374
Not trolling here, send the info

I want to buy your books anon
>>
Im a horrible writer. I cant say anything without sounding boring and stupid and on top of that anything Ive ever wanted to say has been said before and better
>>
>>8009374
That sounds fucking good though, what are they called? Any links?
>>
>tfw independently comfy and can write whatever at any speed without compromising quality
>>
Great.
>>
>>8008006
Terrible.
My writing is like my programming: blunt and dry and emotionless. Logical and methodical.
>>
>>8012142
there's a niche for everything, you just need to be consistent and appear authentic
>>
>>8008006

Pretty good, if you can call translating English genre fiction into German for plebs who refuse to read the originals a writing career.
>>
>>8009566
>>8011611

Like I said, if I distill them that way, you're going to imagine something crazy cool, while the reality shows a different face. I'll rather leave you with the vague impression that there's a guy out there doing something cool than disappoint you with the truth.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.