[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ have to say about this book? Thinking of buying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: images.jpg (23 KB, 387x618) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
23 KB, 387x618
What does /lit/ have to say about this book?

Thinking of buying it on amazon.
>>
Is this the board to have late night drunk philosophy threads? I've been looking for this for so long. Had one on /pol/ last night and it was laughable explaining shit to them you would learn in PHL 101.
>>
>>8006856
OP's book was on the recommended reading of The Guide to the Good Life by W. Irvine.

We could have a stoicism thread. What do you think?
>>
Read the World as Will first
>>
>>8006886
seems like a tough read. Can you make a quick 1 or 2 sentences summary of the book?
>>
>>8006881
>stoicism
What is that? Where you never show your emotions in your face?
>>
>>8006950
that's a caricature of stoicism. If you want to know more about this philosophy of life read The Guide to the Good Life by W. Irvine and also the origianl stoic sources (Seneca, Musonius, Epictetus etc.)
>>
>>8006926
No. You don't get to read practical philosophy and ignore its underpinning theories.
>>
>>8007049
I think I get the gist of it. Seems thought that "living in accordance with nature" really means living in accordance with the state. Which, I suppose nature encompases? Or is the interests of man separate from those of nature? I mean man itself is a part of nature.... Shit. Head's already starting to hurt....
>>
>>8007051
That's why I asked you for a short intro to the book.
>>
>>8007114
>"living in accordance with nature" really means living in accordance with the state.
I'd leave state and politics aside. "In accordance with nature" simply means doing what is natural to do. For example, eating too much and unhealthily is not natural. Being extremely anti-social, like say an hermit is not natural because we humans are social beings. This also doesn't mean one has to be around people all the time or often..
I think it also means that one should live and act according to social duties (I don't know if this was what you meant with "state") but I think these can be independent from the state. Social duties depend on the opinion of a person.

Of course, in today we have a lot of technology and much things in our daily living may not be natural but one can work out a middle ground between these two.
>>
>>8007259
also some social duties are obligatory by law but I think you get my point.
>>
>>8007259
That sounds wishy washy as fuck. So basically: do whatever you want, so long as it feels sort of good and you don't die of acute poisoning. Sounds like a shit philosophy desu senpai.
>>
>>8007417
On the contrary, Stoicism advises to not engage in excessive pleasures and when we do experience them, we should keep in mind that the source of that pleasure may not exist forever or we won't have unlimited access to it, or we will someday lose it. For instance, you have a girlfriend that you love. You keep in mind that someday she may leave.
>>
>>8007442
*For instance, you have a girlfriend that you love. You should keep in mind that someday she may leave you.
>>
>>8007442
That's 100% bullshit. If I marry a girl, I'll love her to the 100th degree, and better yet her children, and I'll live my life in the belief they'll be there forever. That is living in the optimal situation for their lives. If my wife is a cheating bitch and divorces me and takes the kids, well, the game changes, and I have to figure out another way. But I would never have a wife and kids and not be devoted to them 100% and be looking over my shoulder for the exit plan if she just so happens to be a cheating bitch. Call be stupid, but that's how I roll.
>>
>>8007698
I mean you have to choose the right girl too. If I saw the fist sign of being a cuck I'd cut that shit off, because again, the optimal situation for my children is to have a caring mother and a providing father The second I figure out the mother is cucking me. Well. Then we have to have a talk.

Maybe I'm agreeing with you without realizing it.
>>
>>8007470
Always keep a spare!
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.